Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Proper care and feeding of an Acoustic Bass Guitar

calypsocoral

Hi everyone,

For those of you who have been following my posts, you will know that I live in a small apartment in a complex inhabited mainly by retirees, hospital workers, and med students. Thus, I had to leave my P-bass and 15" combo amp at a friend's residence.

So, I am currently in the market for an acoustic bass guitar, as it will definitely be softer, milder, and overall more palatable to my neighbors' ears as I practice my chops at home (not to mention it would sound GREAT for an acoustic jam to Ozzy Osbourne's "Mama, I'm Coming Home).

So, I started looking at the reviews for acoustic models from Ibanez, Michael Kelly, Dean, etc. Basically, the stuff I might be able to find at the local Guitar Center. My budget tops out at $800 USD.

In my past experience with user reviews, you will have a host of people rating it 5 stars, with the occasional 4-star rating here and there, followed by maybe one or two that were pretty bad. In every acoustic model I've looked at, the reviews seem to be all over the place-- still dominated by 4-and-5-star ratings, but lower ones are much more frequent. One player will rave about the instrument's tone, another will say it is too muddy. One will say the action is flawless, the other will say it needed a thorough setup to be even remotely-playable.

A frequent complaint about these instruments from electric bassists is high action. Having started on an upright with an ill-fitting bridge (since remedied), this doesn't bother me so much. But I would like to know what I should expect from a bass that does the following:

1) Produces enough volume to keep from being drowned-out by a 12-string guitar.

2) Doesn't produce fret buzz (probably a set-up issue).

3) Isn't overly-boomy or muddy in its bottom end. I am looking for projection and clarity.

Also, I would like to know if there is anything I should know about the nut, the bridge, and the strings. Should I be looking at nickle/steel (conventional electric strings)? Phosphor Bronze (Ernie Ball acoustic)? Nylon tape-wound over steel (LaBella's Black Nylon Tape Wound, which I noticed Carvin uses on their acoustic-electric basses)? Which brand and gauge would you guys recommend?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not heard an acoustic bass guitar that wouldn't be drowned out by a 12 string or indeed any acoustic guitar unless the guitarist played quietly.

The Victor Bailey ABG is probably the loudest I've heard but the unamplified sound is loud in the mids rather than the low end.

https://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=595&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=27

I play a very cheap ABG at home and (amplified) on some gigs with an acoustic band. It's great and excellent value for money. I play with some people that prefer the sound of this bass to the sound of my Wal which is worth at least ten times the value of the Crafter

Like this:

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=AG00389

It's fretless so I don't know about string noise.

I prefer flatwounds on ABG, I'm using TI jazz flats which only come in one gauge and I much prefer the sound to using phosphor bronze strings but I know many love the pb's once the intial bright clang has subdued.

Simple matter of physics, CC. The sound chamber in an acoustic or electro-acoustic bass (EAB) isn't large enough to allow the long period soundwave of the bass to develope. That's why the "box" of a standard string bass is so large (see avatar to the right).

The bassist from the Violent Femmes (help me with a name) used an "EarthBass", which was a really big acoustic bass. I'm thinking that's going to be out of the price range.

Here ya go; one Ibanez AEB10 - $400. one hard case (trust me, spend the money on the hard case) - $100. One set of bronze-phosphor strings - $50. One Ibanez sound gear 35W practice combo amp - $135. My AEB setup. No, it ain't gonna shake da walls or anything like that, but if you don't turn the damned thing up all the way, it will be fine. The combo will be small enought to be out if the way yet still big enough for "small" venues and larger acoustic jams.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I own a Godin A4 fretless, which has a closed sound box. The open sound boxes are louder but not loud enough when played with acoustic guitars. You mentioned fretted but I would encourage you to try the fretless varieties as tone is IMHO more rewarding as Phil has alluded. The phosphor bronze strings don't sound right to me on any bass, but that's a matter of taste. The Michael Kelly acoustic has had a lot of positive remarks in this forum. If you do use flatwound strings the higher tension will make the truss rod work hard. When I changed to flatwounds the action went up considerably. This needed a half turn on the truss rod to temper it.

I do note that the tone is improved with higher action and so you should be OK in this dept from what you have said.

As always, check them out.

Here's a bit of noodling nonsense from me to show what tone you can get from a fretless ABG with flatwound TI strings.

http://www.heathette.com/music/2008/godinsumti.mp3

Good luck.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

For practicing your chops at home, why not get a Tascam CD/MP3 Bass Trainer? It would save a lot of money and keep the neighbors happy.

And if you have someone over to jam, set your combo amp's volume level really low.

In my past experience with user reviews, you will have a host of people rating it 5 stars, with the occasional 4-star rating here and there, followed by maybe one or two that were pretty bad. In every acoustic model I've looked at, the reviews seem to be all over the place-- still dominated by 4-and-5-star ratings, but lower ones are much more frequent. One player will rave about the instrument's tone, another will say it is too muddy. One will say the action is flawless, the other will say it needed a thorough setup to be even remotely-playable.

Time for me to don the hat lined with aluminum foil to keep the CIA from reading my thoughts...

Let's say that you go to one of the on-line stores (Sam Ash, Music 123, et. al.) to look at a piece of gear. Let's say, oh the "Bearinjer" MPM 2002 powered mixer. Let say EVERYONE on the forum would rather trade in their basses for a kazoo than use "Bearinjer". Let say that your upper end musis stores don't carry "Bearinjer" anything and let say two employees at two different stores quote the same urban myth about "Bearinjer" MPM 2002's blowing out powered mains because of votage regulation issues. How does this electronic turd get a 4.75 rating at Musicians Supply???

Because anyone can log on as anything at anytime and write a review. It is in "Bearinjer's" best interest to have a 5-star piece of gear that's $300 less than a more nationally recognized brand. Have some employees write a review! It is in Musician's Friend's best interest to NOT have an electronic turd sitting on the shelf taking up valuable inventory space because it won't sell. Have a couple of sales guys write a review!

When using the on-line stores, be REALLY careful about making a purchase based on reviews. Go into town and play the rigs. Talk to other musicians. Hell, post here on this forum! If someone made and marketed it, chances are that someone on the LDLD has bought it, played it, or knows someone who has.

I'm on my meds, now. Paranoid rant fantasy is over. :o

A friend of mine has a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 and I really like it. I'm not crazy about ABGs in general but for the price I'd say it was pretty killer.

+1 on the Tascam or a Korg Pandora (that's what I use at home if I plug in)...that leads me to another thought: try practicing your bass guitar (not ABG) unplugged. I do that probably about 1/2 the time I'm practicing at home and it really helps me get to know the instrument better and develope more sensitive playing. And you have to learn to listen better which is never a bad thing for a musician.

The bassist from the Violent Femmes (help me with a name) used an "EarthBass", which was a really big acoustic bass. I'm thinking that's going to be out of the price range.

Freebo, Bonnie Rait's(sp?) bassist used to use those too. I don't think Ernie Ball makes those basses anymore. Frank M is right you need a big body to push the sound. The problem with big bodied ABG's though, in my opinion, is that they are uncomfortable to play. I currently have a used Alvarez that's not bad but it's not very loud. The Dean basses as well as the Ibanez basses are'nt bad and pretty affordable. More than likely you will have to get a little amp to help push the sound especially if the guitar players have a heavy hand and are banging away.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Well, if it's mostly for practising alone at home, the abg is fine (or an unamplified electric for that matter). I practise with unamplified abg most of the time, along to records and the like. Then, if you get to jam with someone, you can use a little amplification - though beware of feedback - keep the abg as far from the speaker as possible.

Hi Davio,

I was actually looking at the Michael Kelly Dragonfly 4. Mostly because it really looked cool-- something about the abalone rosette on transparent black quilted maple looks simply bewitching!

I had played an Alvarez-Yairi ABG with a friend at a music store years ago and found the volume acceptable enough for some acoustic Led Zeppelin jams.

Now that you mention the Korg Pandora, I came to the sudden realization that I had thought about a multi-effects pedal for some time now-- it's one of those things I have thought about getting on many occasions, but just never got a "round tuit." Tuits are hard to come by, especially round ones!

I remember using a friend's Zoom multi-effects pedal when I first took up bass guitar and found it a nifty little gizmo. Apparently, many of these digital effects pedals do have an output that doubles as a headphone jack.

As far as the Pandora goes, it's not a pedal and I wouldn't recomend it for playing live. The effects are fun to play with but I'd say the Zoom's are probably as good or better (as scary as that sounds). I use it for playing through headphones and practicing with cheezy drum beats. I was turned on to it beacuse I was impressed when I saw Dave LaRue using it in a jam (you can use the output for headphones or sending to an amp).

A friend of mine has a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 and I really like it.

I tried one of those at my local GC and it was pretty nice. It might be because of old strings but it sounded kind of muffled and not very loud, but it was pretty and the action wasn't bad. I have been thinking about trading in my 4-string Alvarez for a 5-string ABG.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

The one my friend has has phosphor bronze strings on it. They're pretty zingy and they speak very well on that bass. It doesn't have the resonance I'd want...but that's the problem with EBGs and the reason I don't own one.

I have a Dean Performer ABG, it cost about $400, and I really like the sound for practicing, unfortunately I had to use its built in electronics and a small amp when playing with guitarists.

I second the TASCAM. It is not only a headphone amp, it also allows you to manipulate a song's audio to make it easier to hear and learn the bassline, and it's defintely less expensive than an ABG.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

A friend of mine has a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 and I really like it. I'm not crazy about ABGs in general but for the price I'd say it was pretty killer.

I got the Dragonfly Fretless 5 and it keeps up with precisely 1 acoustic guitar - and that's with bronze on it.

It is a beautiful piece of wood too and it stays healthy despite a regular diet of clams.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Freebo, Bonnie Rait's(sp?) bassist used to use those too. I don't think Ernie Ball makes those basses anymore.......

The bass referred to is called an Earthwood. If you can find one, buy it. They are pretty rare and the price goes up every year.

For practicing at home, play electric bass and use headphones or a 10 watt guitar amp. If you get an ABG, your right arm position will have to change because of the body shape. I used to get grooves in my right forearm if I spent any decent amount of time on mine.

It's a rare ABG that will be loud enough to use when playing with other people and which will not feedback like crazy if you amplify it.

I sold mine.

T

Doesn't that make them basically useless?

Lord no!

I just played mine with a guitarist today and it was plenty loud enough to keep up with his Guild acoustic - but it did struggle with the 12 string.

If you play with some Dylan wannabe bangin' and wailin' of course you're not going to hear your ABG - or anything else.

Know the other thing I love about my ABG? The Hog30 it pals around with.

Very admirable restraint there Pablo.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

It sounds like getting a Zoom pedal with a headphone-out sounds like the more viable way to go. But ABG's still look like a lot of fun to play.

I'll be sure to take a look at the acoustic-electric offerings, as it sounds like a small 10" amp (which I could use anyway) may be a necessary companion...

The thread title made me wonder, how much more care is involved with an ABG than a bass guitar? I haven't seen many with laminated bodies, which are supposed to be less effected by temperature and humidity. Other than an in case humidifier, what else should be done to keep it from warping/cracking?

Can an ABG be set up without too much difficulty, or are they something that isn't for the average DIY person?

ABGs do not have adjustable bridges.

I didn't think any did, none of the ones I have seen had them anyway. It's hard to keep track of everything out there though.

Also guessing that if the intonation is way off, nothing can be done about it short of major "surgery".

1 - My Ibanez AEB10 has a truss rod in the neck.

2 - The thing "should" arrive already set up as far as the bridge is concerned. Acoustic guitars don't have adjustable bridges either, yet lots of people own one. In the highly unlikely event that your intonation it crap, any luthier or high-end guitar store can replace or reposition the bridge for about $25 max. Minor changes in intonation can be made by filing the "bone" on the bridge to fine tune the intonation. Should not be attempted by amatures.

Are the ABGs a delicate instrument? I've read a few horror stories about the tops warping, cracking, and costing a lot of cash to maintain and repair. The thing about this info on the internet: it's hard to know if these people are the type to leave a bass near a heat source or in the back of their car in freezing weather. I'm guessing that some extra care has to be taken with them because of the hollow body.

The Ibanez seems rugged enough. There was that whole unfortuante incident where it "fell" off the stand, landed face first and almost pushed the tuner for the E string right through the headstock. Still a little wobbly but still playable, if not repairable.

I've had mine for about two years and don't do anything special other than keep it away from direct air (hot or cold). It goes in the hard case when leaving the house and I leave the case cracked open when I get to the venue to let the temperature equalise out gradually. The less expensive models tend to be laminate anyway (epscially backs and sides) and the lamimate seems to be less inclined to warp and/or crack with temperature and humidity excursions.

it's hard to know if these people are the type to leave a bass near a heat source or in the back of their car in freezing weather. I'm guessing that some extra care has to be taken with them because of the hollow body

It appears to me you already have it figured out. If you are extra paranoid (i.e. me) spend the $6.00 and buy a Dampit and keep it in the hole while not being used during the winter months.

Archived