Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Almost Died Yesterday

I was setting up for the Justin Timberlake show in Atlantic City NJ when the lighting rig(98,000 pounds)collapsed and came crashing down.Nobody was hurt.If it would of collapsed five minutes later about 50 stagehands(including me)would have been crushed to death as we were about to push the rolling stage under the lighting rig. Just happy to be alive today Peace Rob :thu:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, for the crew guys out here, do they have any idea what failed? Was it improper rigging? Was it equipment failure on the part of the venue? Was it equipment failure on the part of the lighting company? It takes something catastophic to lose an entire rig. Just wondering if anyone knows what happened? (Especially since I've spent my share of time 25 - 70ft in the air on lighting truss. :eek: )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

{edit:} Oops! I meant to edit the above post and add the following: You have to love how they hushed this up. This is one of two near identical stories I found on Google about the "postponement" of the concert. :rolleyes: [quote]August 9, 2003, 5:19 PM EDT ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Saturday's sold-out concert by Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake was postponed because of problems at Boardwalk Hall. It was not immediately clear what the trouble was. Officials with Boardwalk Hall released a statement Saturday afternoon, saying a supplemental rigging structure had buckled. Valarie McGonigal, marketing director at the hall, was unable to provide additional details. Aguilera and Timberlake were scheduled to take the stage at 7:30 p.m. McGonigal did not know when the concert could be rescheduled. Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press [/quote]

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

horrifying, to contemplate anyone dying for that kind of dreck! :eek: Makes me think of Tolstoy's "What Price Art?" Mercifully he died without having to contemplate "What Price Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake?" Glad it wasn't any more expensive than it already is!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks guys.The point I was trying to make was that most people take what so do for granted and don't realize how dangerous our really work is. [quote] [/quote][b](Especially since I've spent my share of time 25 - 70ft in the air on lighting truss. )[/b] I was scheduled to run a truss spot that night. Peace Rob :thu:

Rob, ...So glad you're here...really. Man. Wasn't a similar incident responsible for Curtis Mayfield's injury that resulted in him being either a paraplegic or quadraplegic? Man...again...really glad you're still with us!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

big rock shows are an insane art form, in that people can so easily be killed and injured! what other form of art is like that? It's incredible the responsibility and danger of it all :eek: ! That kind of stuff makes me feel *way* out of my league... be careful out there!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

wow. Life is an insane art form, yes, and your near-miss reminds me that random misfortune can happen to any of us, so enjoy *now*. The wonderful Curtis Mayfield aside, no need to discuss that the lowest paid, hardest worked, least recognized class at a concert are the ones most likely to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Man, that's some freaky shit. Too many of can attest to the fact that we become so accustomed to being around hastily-built structures and high voltage lines that we start to take them for granted. Glad you're alright, Rob. - Jeff

First of all, I'm glad that you and everyone else are okay. That was a close call. Second of all, some rigger needs to answer for this near catastrophe. And if I know anything about the "unions" in New Jersey, he WILL. ;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I'm glad that nobody was hurt when this monstrosity fell. I just hope that it's not a case of the promoters cutting corners on hiring experienced and qualified personnel. Seems many are delling the petty tasks (building props, running cables, and etc.) out to the lowest bidder, and not always the most qualified, prior to bringing in the pros to rig the final touches and run the show. Thank God you're okay, along with all of the other stage hands.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

This incident made the morning paper today here in Roch. I wonder if some city/town inspector was not doing his job. Maybe there is some graft involved. I mean, this is New jersey we are talkin about. Just imagine if this occurred while the arena was full of people- Jees.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

[quote]Originally posted by Anifa: [b]I'm glad that nobody was hurt when this monstrosity fell. I just hope that it's not a case of the promoters cutting corners on hiring experienced and qualified personnel. Seems many are delling the petty tasks (building props, running cables, and etc.) out to the lowest bidder, and not always the most qualified, prior to bringing in the pros to rig the final touches and run the show. Thank God you're okay, along with all of the other stage hands.[/b][/quote]Anifa, This has not been my experience on the road. SO far this summer, I've done over [b]twenty[/b] 17,000+ concerts, and more 5000+ concerts than I can remember. (Although a show in Chicago had to be cancelled this saturday because of crowd control issues). Keeping a concert site safe is a HUGE undertaking. Safe of the crews, safe for the acts, safe for the patrons, safe for the vendors, and not least, safe from the attorneys.... I remember a few years ago, the rear light truss on a stage broke and fell in Poland at a Shaggy concert. A few of my friends were "fucked up". From Giants Stadium to Wango Tango to Reggae on the River to that little obscure club that seats 50, If I look hard enough, I always find someting that compromises or could potentially compromise safety. You just have to be vigilant. Footnote: In a former life I was a safety officer and quality assurance manager at a electro-mech assembly plant. NYC Drew

I know that Oklahoma was experiencing problems with bringing crews in from across the border and forcing the higher paid stage craft personnel and technicians to seek employment in other states.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Glad to see you're still here along with the other stage hands. I'm just getting into this line of work myself (live sound engineering and touring etc..) so it's interesting to hear from people on the inside. I hope you don't have to deal with another event like this in your career.

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

We were suppose to go back tomorrow to strike the Clair Bros speakers but we just got the word that it isn't happening until the pyro is removed from the truss.There's enough pyro on the truss to blow up a small house. I heard their changing the name of the tour to the "Justified And Collapsed" tour :D

First of all, I forgot to add my good thoughts for everyone who was on the crews, waiting in the wings to push the stage in place. Glad you're still alive and well, Rob. It's difficult to tell much from the photo. Could be simple equipment failure, but I'd like to hear what they find when they test the [i]venue's[/i] points. The CNN web article indicated this is the first big show in the hall since they refurbished it. I wonder if someone did a crap job welding the points, or if they installed ones not rated for the load. We put trusses up every day. In Nashville, the riggers are excellent. I've never seen, nor heard of a rigging problem here, in part because the riggers won't allow problem equipment to be used when [i]their[/i] reputation is on the line if anyone's hurt or killed. I wish we had more info, but thanks for the pic, Rob. (Did you take it, or was that an "official" release?

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote] [/quote][b]The CNN web article indicated this is the first big show in the hall since they refurbished it[/b] Neil that article is bullshit.We've rigged some pretty big shows on that grid (Britney,Bonjovi,Eagles,Fleetwood Mac,Macartney) [quote] [/quote][b]We put trusses up every day. In Nashville, the riggers are excellent. I've never seen, nor heard of a rigging problem here, in part because the riggers won't allow problem equipment to be used when their reputation is on the line if anyone's hurt or killed.[/b] Dito here in AC Peace Rob :thu:

Archived