Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No surprise that Donaghy would have a problem in the penalty box. Par for the course.

In other news, I am surprised that there is speculation about Mike Brown's future as coach of the Cavs.

Nowadays, making the playoffs isn't good enough. :rolleyes:

I hope Brown gets another chance to coach the team. He isn't the problem IMO. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

No surprise that Donaghy would have a problem in the penalty box. Par for the course.

In other news, I am surprised that there is speculation about Mike Brown's future as coach of the Cavs.

Nowadays, making the playoffs isn't good enough. :rolleyes:

I hope Brown gets another chance to coach the team. He isn't the problem IMO. :cool:

Funny, everything I've heard from the rumor mill is that Brown's job is secure for at least another season.

LeBron just has no support. That's what it comes down to. Mo and Delonte are streaky and inconsistent. Ilgauskas has one post move - the 18 foot jumper. Varejao is absolutely useless for anything but taking charges, and he's not very good at that either...

Funny, everything I've heard from the rumor mill is that Brown's job is secure for at least another season.

I've heard the same thing. I didn't think his job security should have been in question. Unless he had been wearing a uni and standing around watching LBJ instead of helping him. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've heard the same thing. I didn't think his job security should have been in question. Unless he had been wearing a uni and standing around watching LBJ instead of helping him. :cool:

On a related note, Varajeo is up for a contract this year, and his agent is looking for $10M per...

Something tells me he ain't getting anything close to that, after his no-show in the ECF...

[font:Arial Black]Best of the big shots[/font]

No. 5 (tie): Jerry Wests half-court heave in the 1970 Finals against the Knicks today would have been a game-winning three-pointer.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-06/47477617.jpg

No. 5 (tie): With only 0.4 to get the shot off, Derek Fisher made his famous fling against the Spurs in the 2004 West semifinals.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-06/47477667.jpg

No. 4: Robert Horry saved the Lakers in the 2002 West finals, making a three-pointer at the buzzer against the Kings.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-06/47477656.jpg

No. 3: Even Shaquille ONeal seemed amazed after a lob from Kobe Bryant in Game 7 of the 2000 West finals against the Trail Blazers.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-06/47477933.jpg

No. 2: Derek Fisher almost matched his tying three-pointer over Jameer Nelson with another big shot in overtime Thursday against the Magic.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-06/47477642.jpg

No. 1: Magic Johnsons baby hook over three future Hall of Famers at Boston Garden gave the Lakers a 3-1 lead against the Celtics in the 1987 Finals.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-06/47477637.jpg

:snax:

It is amazing how easily this series could have (should have?) been 3-1 Magic. That said...I am fearful of a Laker closeout in game 5.

I've never once thought the Magic were quaking under late game pressure. The point is they're ALWAYS sloppy, ALWAYS erratic, as likely to hit three straight threes as to commit three straight turnovers, at any point in the game, home or road. This is actually why they've endeared themselves to me. I kinda like their character. Impervious

But I also like the Lakers to play a buttoned fourth tomorrow and capitalize on whatever slop Orlando has to offer.

I picked Lakers in 5. What I'd love to see most dearly is a 7th game.

Before we write Orlando in the finals in perpetuity, it came as a surprise to me that Hedo can opt to be a free agent next year. He's going to command a big salary somewhere, and that will be a huge void for Orlando to fill considering how pivotal he is to their offense. I'd rather lose Lewis than Turkoglu.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

It is amazing how easily this series could have (should have?) been 3-1 Magic. That said...I am fearful of a Laker closeout in game 5.

I think there's a pretty good chance that it may go six. And that would make me look like Nostradamus again. :D

I've never once thought the Magic were quaking under late game pressure. The point is they're ALWAYS sloppy, ALWAYS erratic, as likely to hit three straight threes as to commit three straight turnovers, at any point in the game, home or road. This is actually why they've endeared themselves to me. I kinda like their character.

No, they don't quake under pressure. To me, it's more about brain farts. It's lack of experience.

I dunno, but it's certainly been an overall very strong one, if a bit erratic at times. But there have already been times in which you just have to watch in awe, just watching greatness happen. Phenomenal player, one of the greats.

...the former referee, serving a 15-month sentence in a gambling scandal, was struck in the right knee with a stick or other hard object in November.

Sounds like at least a Flagrant 2 and automatic ejection.

...the former referee, serving a 15-month sentence in a gambling scandal, was struck in the right knee with a stick or other hard object in November.

League will drop it to an F-1, you watch. :D

The blowhard radio DJ, Colin Cowherd, thinks that since it's multiple sources from the Cleveland organization leaking this, that they're doing this more for Lebron's benefit, attempting to placate him to indicate that the organization is leaving no stone unturned in their quest to improve their chances next year and become a championship team.

I don't know one way or the other.

League will drop it to an F-1, you watch. :D

:D

Only if it improves ratings!!

This year's Lakers couldn't beat last year's champs, they couldn't beat any of the Spurs champs, they couldn't beat the early 2000's threepeat Lakers, nor the Heat or the Pistons. They would get wiped up by any of those teams.

Not a chance.

This year's Lakers would beat last year's champs, any of the Spurs champs, the Heat and the Pistons.

Dude, it's one thing to be a fan. It's another thing to be a completely myopic fan...

I dunno. I'm fairly objective about this stuff, but while this Lakers team is obviously flawed (inconsistent, for one thing), I think they'd give all of those above teams a serious run, if not beat them.

I dunno. I'm fairly objective about this stuff, but while this Lakers team is obviously flawed (inconsistent, for one thing), I think they'd give all of those above teams a serious run, if not beat them.
The Lakers do not have a legit, bang it in the paint, dominate in the post big man. Every other one of those teams did. This year is unique in that there is no truly legit big man on either team. Howard isn't there yet. Gasol is a finesse player. Of course, that's a relatively league wide issue, and Duncan and Shaq ain't gettin any younger. Regardless, a legit big man with a strong scoring guard will beat any guard oriented team in a seven game series. Every other champ this decade has had at least one quality big man and one quality guard. This year's champ, regardless of who wins, won't.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

If the Lakers limp into the finals next year they will meet the Celtics and a healthy Kevin Garnett in the last year of Ray Allen's contract.

The whole landscape changes after next year with the 2010 free agent market.

So the question remains: Odom or Ariza? I think Ariza has upside and Odom has downside. Given his health they can pick Odom up on waivers next Spring :>.

Lakers will sign both Ariza and Odom.

That might not be easy as it sounds. The desire is there to sign both, but there's going to have to be some kind of cap dance and salary compromise from one or both of them. Here's hoping it works out.

Lakers will sign both Ariza and Odom.

The Lakers have 75 million dollars on the books next year, which doesnt include a salary for free agents Ariza and Lamar Odom. Also, this figure doesnt account for any potential raise given to Bryant, who holds an opt-out clause.

Rumors are the cap will drop next year to under 70 million. putting LA's potential salary liability at 85 million if both resign and Kobe gets a new contract and another 15 million in Luxury Tax ((85 - 70) or 15 million) or 100 million overall.

With three picks in the draft LA could easily package some picks and money and move up 10 slots to get a decent young PF and let Odom go. Example: Gani Lawal from Georgia Tech. My 2C.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gani-Lawal-1269/

In 2010 they have to deal with the PG position.

Opps. Lawal withdrew from the draft this afternoon. He thinks he's a top 10 pick next year. I think he's right. Likely a top 5 next year.

Archived