Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These are the two worst teams we've seen in an NBA finals in ages.

And that sums up the bitterness consuming all of the haters.

First it was about how the Lakers were in trouble having to face the Magic, who beat the Lakers twice during the regular season. How awesome the Magic were having beaten Boston in Boston, and then the mighty Cavs (who some predicted no one would beat), and now suddenly the Magic suck.

Laker fans know how good the Lakers are and it never mattered who the (L)eastern conf was going to send, (including a heathy boston, that the Lakers beat twice already this year), The Lakers are the best team in the NBA, and were a key injury away from being the best team last year too.

The sleepy celts are old and done. The Magic and the Cavs will meet again next year, but the Cavs need to upgrade still.

Go Lakers!!!

These are the two worst teams we've seen in an NBA finals in ages.

And that sums up the bitterness consuming all of the haters.

This isn't bitterness man, this is just bad, bad basketball. This year's Lakers couldn't beat last year's champs, they couldn't beat any of the Spurs champs, they couldn't beat the early 2000's threepeat Lakers, nor the Heat or the Pistons. They would get wiped up by any of those teams. Had Cleveland made the finals, my assessment would remain the same. This is just not good basketball by any honest standards.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

This year's Lakers couldn't beat last year's champs, they couldn't beat any of the Spurs champs, they couldn't beat the early 2000's threepeat Lakers, nor the Heat or the Pistons. They would get wiped up by any of those teams.

Not a chance.

This year's Lakers would beat last year's champs, any of the Spurs champs, the Heat and the Pistons.

Well, since the Magic live and die by the 3 and Superman is still learning how to fly, the question becomes whether or not LA and Stern want to close out in FL or CA. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

16, ...15, ...14, ...13, ...12, ...11, ...10, ...9, ...8, ...7, ...6, ...5, ...4, ...3, ...2, ...1,

I'm going to enjoy that clock stopping this season almost as much as I did last season... :D

Ya think?

ouch.

The Lakers will go home disappointed again this year.

This was not the matchup they wanted.

1) Dwight Howard will feast on Bynum down low, and Odom will be dessert.

2) Pau Gasol won't get anything close to the looks he's been getting with Turkoglu and/or Lewis on him.

3) Pau also won't be able to get away with slack-ass "hang out in the paint" defense like he did vs. Kenyon Martin.

4) Lee and Pietrus will give Kobe just enough trouble both offensively and defensively to put him on tilt, which is exactly where any team wants him.

5) Orlando can always resort to a "4 big" lineup (they call it "Twin Towers" with Howard, Battie, Terkoglu, and Lewis). What the hell answer will Phil Jackson have for that monstrosity, with four 6'10" and up guys on the floor, two of which can shoot threes, all of which are faster than anyone not named Kobe dressed in (in honor of SDS) piss yellow and purple?

Wow. Not even close.

ouch.

I don't know that LA will benefit as much from home court vs. Orlando. The Magic have already demonstrated repeatedly throughout the finals that they can win on other peoples' turf. Turkoglu, as an example, actually plays better on the road than at home...

Oh - and the Magic also beat the Lakers both at home and at Staples this year...

But don't let that put a damper on your trophy-hoisting party, Steady...

Clearly it hasn't.

Again... ouch.

Magic in 6

Agreed.

The only way this series is done in less than 6 is if the Lakers completely choke in games 1 and 2.

I see it going like this:

Game 1: Orlando

Game 2: LA

Game 3: Orlando

Game 4: Orlando

Game 5: LA

Game 6: Orlando

Game 7: Steady weeping and gnashing his teeth over the cheap ticket he got to a game that isn't happening.

You are on a roll, Nostradamus.

What else you got? ...the earth is flat?

You'd think the Lakers already hoisted the trophy...

They have.

I am not terribly disappointed that the Lakers are going to win the series, but I am disappointed that Superman couldn't hit a single free through to ice it and extend my viewing pleasure.

I don't think this is a bad series at all. I can think of several worse-played series of recent vintage. Dallas/Miami immediately springs to mind. Spurs/Nets was about as sludgy as championship basketball gets. Spurs/Cavs never actually happened did it? Blink and it was gone--and it was a dull, bludgeoning, not surgical.

Now Spurs/Pistons, THAT was championship basketball between two great teams at their peak. As you know I am a Spurs "supporter," but I always felt in some ways the wrong team won that series.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

BTW, I am becoming big fan of Trevor Ariza. Fish stepped in and took the glory after Kobe's "elbow screen," but that was Ariza's game last night...granted though they never should have won.

That guy plays hard, man, and his defense is a one-man disruption. Hedo is playing well, but the energy he has to put just into getting the halfcourt offense started is massive because of how far out Ariza plays and how glove-like.

Pietrus too! That guy is BAD!

BTW, I am becoming big fan of Trevor Ariza. Fish stepped in and took the glory after Kobe's "elbow screen," but that was Ariza's game last night...granted though they never should have won.

That guy plays hard, man, and his defense is a one-man disruption. Hedo is playing well, but the energy he has to put just into getting the halfcourt offense started is massive because of how far out Ariza plays and how glove-like.

Pietrus too! That guy is BAD!

If they handed out game-by-game MVP awards, Ariza wins it last night hands down. He made all the shots in the third quarter. Singlehandedly dragged them back into a game they were out of.

Jeff, couldn't you have cleared the Ovation out of the background and replaced it with your Coral electric sitar or a Gibson J45 or something? ;)

(Ovation was my first good acoustic, I think they are unfairly slandered guitars, for the record...)

I would laugh my ass off if Van Gundy managed to get these guys organized and ran the table...

It 99% won't happen, but would I ever laugh my ass off...

Yes, it's extremely probable at this point that the Lakers will be champions; but it ain't over 'til it's over.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Man, I woke up in a good mood this morning. I can't figure out why...

http://klopmeyer.com/guest/lakers_061209.jpg

GO LAKERS

You have a huge booger at the end of that finger?

This year's Lakers couldn't beat last year's champs, they couldn't beat any of the Spurs champs, they couldn't beat the early 2000's threepeat Lakers, nor the Heat or the Pistons. They would get wiped up by any of those teams.

Not a chance.

This year's Lakers would beat last year's champs, any of the Spurs champs, the Heat and the Pistons.

Dude, it's one thing to be a fan. It's another thing to be a completely myopic fan...

I'm a big Trevor Ariza fan. The guy seems to keep getting better and better. He plays hard every night. He's a good defender. He's quiet and unassuming and just goes out and plays hard, and I love players like that. I really hope the Lakers re-sign him. Ariza and Odom are free agents at the end of the year.

You'd think the Lakers already hoisted the trophy...

I sure hope the team doesn't have this mindset!!!!

Obviously, it's almost a gimme that the Lakers will win. The Lakers are the better team, they're up 3-1. Orlando would have to beat them three times in a row, two times at home.

At the same time, I gotta say that with a little experience, Orlando's gonna be scary for years to come. Very very talented team, and they're gonna get better. They're not going away.

Not a chance.

Dude, it's one thing to be a fan. It's another thing to be a completely myopic fan...
That's what I call the difference between fan and fanatic. B's got the latter in spades.

I can't believe all the hate I'm seeing on Howard. IIRC, his FT percentage is pretty good overall, and most of the time in the finals, he was hitting them, until last night. Pretty key, I admit, but I've seen worse from a big man. And the dude is the defensive player of the year for a reason.

"You folks are crazy"

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I can't believe all the hate I'm seeing on Howard. IIRC, his FT percentage is pretty good overall, and most of the time in the finals, he was hitting them, until last night. Pretty key, I admit, but I've seen worse from a big man. And the dude is the defensive player of the year for a reason.

Definitely impressed with Howard here. Been so for a couple of years. The guy keeps improving and improving. He's an intimidating defensive presence. He keeps improving his offensive game. His passing game is getting better. He's a nice guy. He has a sense of humor.

What's NOT to like?

Archived