Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

It got ugly quick in the third.

The Lakers dodged a bullet tonight, because the Magic just were not hitting their open shots.

I don't think the Magic got enough open looks to make up a 25 point deficit, so, no I wouldn't say the Lakers dodged a bullet.

However, the Magic will play a better game on Sunday, they will probably still lose but I don't expect the lead to be so big. Maybe it will, we'll see.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the younger team got rusty while the older team got needed rest.

Wait, the who did what now?

Lakers:

Trevor Ariza 23

Shannon Brown 23

Kobe Bryant 30

Andrew Bynum 21

Jordan Farmar 22

Derek Fisher 34

Pau Gasol 28

D.J. Mbenga 28

Adam Morrison 24

Lamar Odom 29

Josh Powell 26

Sasha Vujacic 25

Luke Walton 29

Sun Yue 23

Average Age: 26.07

Magic:

Rafer Alston 32

Tony Battie 33

Adonal Foyle 34

Marcin Gortat 25

Dwight Howard 23

Anthony Johnson 34

Courtney Lee 23

Rashard Lewis 29

Tyronn Lue 32

Jameer Nelson 27

Mickael Pietrus 27

J.J. Redick 24

Jeremy Richardson 25

Hedo Turkoglu 30

Average Age: 28.43

:idea:

Yeah, the younger guys played pretty good tonight.

Rooting for the Magic, I hate to say this but

at one point, I said to Lori, "imagine if the Magic got swept in the Finals again?"

I would say that the Lakers looked like everyone expected them to look throughout the playoffs, but for some reason they didn't. Now they have to keep from getting cocky (again) otherwise we're gonna have another back-and-forth series.

For all you conspiracy theorists out there - do you think the NBA wants a four game blowout series? I would doubt that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Omigod. We are seeing greatness. Kobe is on a Mission.

That was my thought watching the game. When that dude decides to turn it on, he's hard to stop. His finesse is unmatched.

I do not believe the Magic will fall under the broom. But, I agree this series will not go 7 games either. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Fakers did look impressive as much as it pains me to say it. I guess the only questions are: Can the Fakers play at this same level throughout the series or will they take a night or two off and keep the magic in the series?

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Obviously, you have to credit the Lakers' defense, but Orlando did miss some open shots. SVG will make his adjustments, Orlando will play more determined, and Game 2 is going to be a much tougher win for the Lakers. And you can be sure that Howard's gonna make more than one field goal. Also, Orlando is an extremely resilient team with a lot of talent, and you can never count out a team like this.

Still, if the Lakers are as razor-sharp as they played (and they've played well for three games in a row now), they will win the series in 6.

Can the Fakers play at this same level throughout the series or will they take a night or two off and keep the magic in the series?

I don't know, but we'll see what Sith Lord Stern and The Networks want the series to go like. :D

I was just trying to calculate the financial difference in advertising dollars between a 4-game sweep versus a 7-game finals, and the numbers are pretty huge. Not that anything like that could affect the outcome of a sporting event, mind you. ;)

Those of us who were living in Boston in 1985 know it's not a good idea for a team to get too comfortable after a Game 1 blowout. Seems to me the folks living in LA at the time might have a similar memory... ;)

Then there's the last time SVG was in the playoffs - if memory serves, he lost Game 1 of that series, and Game 2 as well...but that was about it.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Those of us who were living in Boston in 1985 know it's not a good idea for a team to get too comfortable after a Game 1 blowout. Seems to me the folks living in LA at the time might have a similar memory... ;)

Oh, I'm not counting any chickens. Besides, even though Phil Jackson teams have won 43 playoff series after taking game one, they've still lost a bunch as well.

What's that? Phil has never lost after leading 1-0 in a series? You can't mean he's 43-0 is such situations!?!?! That seems unlikely, if not impossible.

:D

Still many games to play. I look forward to them all, be there three or six more.

GO LAKERS

Then there's the last time SVG was in the playoffs - if memory serves, he lost Game 1 of that series, and Game 2 as well...but that was about it.

dB

I think you're thinking of the Miami Heat beating Dallas, but SVG wasn't the coach, Pat Riley was.

Boston had never lost a series in which they led 3-2, either, until the Magic showed up.

:blah:

Yeah, that was pretty funny, wasn't it.

But we all knew Boston shouldn't even have gotten past Chicago, if not for Rondo being allowed to hack his way through that series flagrant and suspension free. :rolleyes:

we all knew Boston shouldn't even have gotten past Chicago
....without Garnett. And Powe. :idea:

How far would the Lakers have gotten without Kobe? I doubt they'd have made the playoffs (and having Bynum out last year is NOT anywhere near the same as having Garnett out this year - sorry). Heck, they lost to Houston without Yao, Mutombo and T-Mac. Twice. :rolleyes:

I still say that's two of the most embarrassing playoff losses ever. I mean, c'mon...once was bad...but twice?

dB

I still say that's two of the most embarrassing playoff losses ever. I mean, c'mon...once was bad...but twice?

dB

:bor:

Did the Lakers win the series? Yeah, that's what I thought.

What's that? Phil has never lost after leading 1-0 in a series? You can't mean he's 43-0 is such situations!?!?! That seems unlikely, if not impossible.

GO LAKERS

Boston had never lost a series in which they led 3-2, either, until the Magic showed up. :idea:

dB

The point here is Grif is trying to tout how great the Magic is (now that his team has gone fishin'), when the reality is that the east sucks. Cleveland - overrated, Boston - overrated and the Magic - overrated.

The top 3 in the east would be lucky to be 6-7-8 if they played in the west.

Denver is better than Cleveland or Orlando (and certainly Boston).

Houston also kicked the Cavs ass this year too (93-74), beat Boston and Orlando (twice).

Christ, even Utah beat Boston... :deadhorse:

So, as you can see, all of the teams the Lakers had to beat to get to the finals beat Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando. The WEST is where the real competition is, not the sleepy fu@#ing (L)east.

How far would the Lakers have gotten without Kobe? I doubt they'd have made the playoffs (and having Bynum out last year is NOT anywhere near the same as having Garnett out this year - sorry). Heck, they lost to Houston without Yao, Mutombo and T-Mac. Twice. :rolleyes:

dB

Houston was still a tough team without those guys but yeah, the Lakers could have played better in those games. Still, I think calling those losses the most embarrassing playoff losses ever is a bit of a stretch. Using your logic, the Celtics should be embarrassed to have let a Lakers team beat them twice in the finals. How could the Celts lose two games to a team they beat by 39 points in game 6?

I don't think you're giving Artest, Battier, Brooks and the Rockets role players enough credit. They were missing some big long players but still had a ton of fire and team chemistry.

In the end, the Lakers won the series and clearly dominated the last game.

Houston was still a tough team without those guys but yeah, the Lakers could have played better in those games.

That's all I'm sayin'...

Still, I think calling those losses the most embarrassing playoff losses ever is a bit of a stretch.

Not sure I agree. The Lakers have been clearly The Team Of Destiny this season - as I've said several times, the best they can hope to do is fulfill expectations. Watching the way the Lakers played in Game 1 should leave no doubt that they're the most talented team in the league right now.

Sure, the Rockets that were still playing were talented - most of the athletes who make it to the NBA are - but the main reason LA got beat in those two games is that they didn't play up to their potential, period. I'm not a real big fan of that whoile "play when we feel like it" thing.

If it had only happened once, it'd have been no big deal...but twice? C'mon - when has such a clearly dominant team been owned twice like that in the playoffs? Serious question...as you can tell from some of my other posts, my basketball memory isn't as sharp as it could be... ;)

dB

Houston was still a tough team without those guys but yeah, the Lakers could have played better in those games.

That's all I'm sayin'...

Still, I think calling those losses the most embarrassing playoff losses ever is a bit of a stretch.

Not sure I agree. The Lakers have been clearly The Team Of Destiny this season - as I've said several times, the best they can hope to do is fulfill expectations. Watching the way the Lakers played in Game 1 should leave no doubt that they're the most talented team in the league right now.

Sure, the Rockets that were still playing were talented - most of the athletes who make it to the NBA are - but the main reason LA got beat in those two games is that they didn't play up to their potential, period. I'm not a real big fan of that whoile "play when we feel like it" thing.

If it had only happened once, it'd have been no big deal...but twice? C'mon - when has such a clearly dominant team been owned twice like that in the playoffs? Serious question...as you can tell from some of my other posts, my basketball memory isn't as sharp as it could be... ;)

dB

I suppose I could look it up but maybe a better question is when was the last time such a young and relatively inexperienced team made it to the Finals two years in a row? I think the Lakers are the best team in the league now but they are still learning how to be consistently dominant, they've done well all things considered. The two losses against a depleted Rockets team were embarrassing, they got beat bad in those games but I think those kind of losses are to be expected from a young team. AND, I agree with SteadyB that the Rockets, even without Yao and Motumbo would have competed well if playing the East.

Yeah, all that intense competition like...

Your "top 3" in the east, wouldn't be the top 3 if they had to regularly play the top 9 teams in the west throughout the season.

But relax Grif, your team remains in the mediocre conference, so they'll probably make the playoffs again next year. They won't win, but they'll probably go fishin' in May instead of April.

Yeah, all that intense competition like...

Your "top 3" in the east, wouldn't be the top 3 if they had to regularly play the top 9 teams in the west throughout the season.

But relax Grif, your team remains in the mediocre conference, so they'll probably make the playoffs again next year. They won't win, but they'll probably go fishin' in May instead of April.

:bor:

Keep talking, Steady. I'm (not) listening...

Griff's Fables

Once upon the time there was a basketball team. They decided to name themselves after some local topography. They got some pretty good players together and joined a basketball league.

At first, they won a lot of games. They even won some championships.

Then, a few years later, this other team that had been in the league for a while got some better players. They started beating up that first team. Year after year, the first team would get all the way to the championships and this other team would just beat the heck out of them.

This made the first team very mad, understandably. So they thought, maybe, if they moved the team to someplace sunny and warm during the winter instead of freezing cold all the time, that they'd play better and beat this other team.

Well, they tried it. And you know what? It didn't work. That team kept right on beating them up. Even after they moved, that team beat them in the finals six more times in a row.

Finally, some of the players on that other team retired, and they got a new coach, and decided to take a break for a while from winning all those championships. So finally, three years later, the first team got to win a championship! Hooray! They were so excited, so overwhelmed with joy, that they didn't win another one for 8 years :freak:. Meanwhile, the other team won a bunch more titles. Then, suddenly, it happened. Both teams got really good from drafting a few players and trading for a few more, and it was EXCITING to watch them. One team would win it one year, then the other would win the next year, and it went back and forth. Great players doing great things in great games.

Then some people on that other team got hurt, really bad, and a couple of them actually died... :(

And some people retired from the first team, and one got really, really sick...

And this crazy player the likes of which no one had ever seen came into the league, and crushed it under his foot. No one talked about the first two teams anymore, because there was only this guy, and his team, and everyone else pretty much sucked.

So this went on for years, then he finally retired, and everyone was happy. The first team got a really big guy to play for them, bigger and stronger than everyone else in the league. They also drafted a whiney little crybaby that was really talented but liked to have temper tantrums. A lot. They won a couple championships, but then he got mad because that really big strong guy was getting all the attention, so he threw a great big tantrum, and made the coach and the big strong guy go away. Then it was his team - except they weren't very good. In fact, they haven't won any championships at all since that day.

The moral of the story:

The Los Angeles Lakers are the best team in the league at almost winning championships (24 finals appearances) but not very good at actually winning championships (14 finals losses)...

;)

Archived