Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weakside in basketball is literally the side of the painted area where the fewest defensive big men are. Teams run a lot of overload plays where they draw the C and one of the F's to one side so the other F can pull to the weakside and get an easy basket 1-on-1 or possibly completely free if they run a good weakside screen prior to their penetration move.
Thanks! That makes more sense than Jeff's answer (sorry, Jeff), which I had considered. The problem with that definition is that the ball can't then be "passed to the weakside." Not if you're being as particular about your definitions as I tend to be, anyway.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Uh, Grif, what happened to your weakside definition?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wanted to focus more on SteadyB. Looks like you enshrined it anyway. :)

Jeff's answer does make sense, it's a matter of how you look at it.

If the play is run to the left, for example, with, let's say your PG left center of the arc, your SF out at 18 feet, and your C up past the foul line, the right side is the weakside. You'll never have a situation where there are fewer defenders on the same side as the ball, simply because of rotation - except on a weakside screen & roll, where, in the above example, the SG comes down and sets a pick for the PF (which will hurt, but he's taking one for the team) which springs the PF for a backdoor cut on a bounce pass from out there on the left wing.

Dwight Howard excels at getting elevation quickly and blocking these weakside plays.

I would love to see Jameer play, but what could realistically expected from him even if he is approved to play?

Expectations? So far a Phil Jackson timeout. Several minutes of frothing at the mouth commentary from the ABC team. Lakers playing in the hole much of the half.

Nice find! I'll read it at half time or something.

I would love to see Jameer play, but what could realistically expected from him even if he is approved to play?

Expectations? So far a Phil Jackson timeout. Several minutes of frothing at the mouth commentary from the ABC team. Lakers playing in the hole much of the half.

He looks really good so far.

His conditioning might not all that yet, but he contributed a lot in the first half.

The Lakers look razor-sharp offensively and defensively. When they play like this, they're almost impossible to beat.

Omigod. We are seeing greatness. Kobe is on a Mission.

3rd Quarter. 75-55.

And he's already got his boot on their throat.

The good news for the Magic--they can take nothing positive away from that game.

They've got some matchup problems upfront.

They pretty much lost at the 2 position as expected w/nearly a 20 point and 5 rebounds differential. But the 4/5 was equally crippling as they lost those matchups on the boards and in the hoops too.

If Orlando shot their usual .457 instead of .299 it's a game but the Magic didn't look like a team that could shoot .457.

Van Gundy's got some work to do.

I think the younger team got rusty while the older team got needed rest.

Wait, the who did what now?

Lakers:

Trevor Ariza 23

Shannon Brown 23

Kobe Bryant 30

Andrew Bynum 21

Jordan Farmar 22

Derek Fisher 34

Pau Gasol 28

D.J. Mbenga 28

Adam Morrison 24

Lamar Odom 29