Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LBJ usually does well post-game, win or lose. However, the excuse he gave for not congratulating the Magic players after the game was poor sportsmanship, not competitiveness, IMO.

At any rate, I believe the hometown hero will stay put in Cleveland. Especially if the team promises to add a few more pieces.

To that end, time is up for Ilgauskas, Szczerbiak, Smith and Wallace. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

So for me the Conf finals ended on a pretty sour note.

- I didn't like the way Denver just seemed quit trying on game 6..in the 3rd quarter! I know shooting under 40% won't beat the Lakers, but guys c'mon, crash boards, get LA in foul trouble. Do anything but pout.

-Um, what happened to Melo and his dominance in the last 2 games? Still Hurt? Bored? Feeling of futility? Mystery I guess.

-Ok, Cleveland's Mike Brown was initially going to get the wrath from me about the lack of defense from supposedly the best defensive team in the east. Now, after thinking about it. I think I understand that the Cavs have spent the last 3-4 years perfecting that D, and largely it's worked, but now they have an impossibly different offensive opponent. Big man inside who's quick, and can hit fouls, with 3 point mastery outdside. Almost impossible to ask Cleveland to drop everything they've been doing to implement a new system in a few days to a couple weeks.

-Danny Ferry, where is your draft? The trades I see, for better or worse, but Danny needs a new draft perspective to say the least.

-Lebron was frustrated, and gave no handshakes or press coverage at the end of game 6, now everyone's making a big deal of it. I'd like to know was he mad at himself? His team not showing up? Or was it that last 3 point shot that Howard chucked when the game was seconds from being over? I'll take D) all of the above. Weve seen this before from atheletes and coaches, he'll get over it.

-Ok, onto the championship, give me Lakers in 7(barely). I'd say Orlando, because they have won against the Lakers, but those 3 point shots aren't gonna fall in the LA games the way the Magic have been used to.

TROLL . . . ish.

As I posted elsewhere, the Cavs/Magic series proves that a dominant center is still the most valuable player on any team. The Lakers are going to have their hands full with Howard. He's the only real center playing in the NBA right now except Shaq who is on the decline.

Cavs need to give LeBron some real help if they are ever going to win with him.

The Lakers are going to have their hands full with Howard. He's the only real center playing in the NBA right now except Shaq who is on the decline.

Not a Yao-man, I take it?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

The Lakers are going to have their hands full with Howard. He's the only real center playing in the NBA right now except Shaq who is on the decline.

Yeah, I was gonna say, what's wrong with Yao (outside of these injuries - arrgh)?

This was a topic a I brought up in this thread not too long ago, who are the true centers currently in the NBA? Howard, Shaq, and Yao were all I could name and no one suggested any others.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm only concerned about my hat. I wish Steadyb could help me here. :(

Now that we're in the finals, here's what you do...

Wear the hat for all of the home games, do not wear the hat for the games in Orlando.

Do I wear the hat during the game, or before the game, or both?

And what about the forward-vs-backward brim?

I can't stomach the idea of causing any problems this time around. I'm trying to also remember everything I did during the 2008 and 2004 Finals, and do none of those things. It's not easy being a true fan. Carrying this burden of responsibility is a heavy load.

..... time is up for Ilgauskas, Szczerbiak, Smith and Wallace. :cool:

K-mart, too. I've never seen so many "hail mary fling the ball toward the basket and hope it goes in" shots as k-mart launched in this series. I thought he was a superstar? Huh!?!

Do I wear the hat during the game, or before the game, or both?

And what about the forward-vs-backward brim?

I can't stomach the idea of causing any problems this time around. I'm trying to also remember everything I did during the 2008 and 2004 Finals, and do none of those things. It's not easy being a true fan. Carrying this burden of responsibility is a heavy load.

During the game. Bill forward. Put it on when the tv broadcast starts (game broadcast, not the pregame show), take it off at the final buzzer.

Thursday?! Wow, that reminds me. I HATE the playoff format..It takes 6 months to play the NBA playoffs!!

I heard the great windbag Cowherd on ESPN radio today, talking about a 3 game 1st round. He mentioned that it doesn't take 7 games to decide who the best team is between 1 & 8 seeds. Shorter rest before the finals? I can go for that, but not much shorter. Your thoughts?

TROLL . . . ish.

See, that was where I was going, but I feel better now that you've validated the idea.

I leave it on for commercials, right? I'm sure I do. Right?

In any case, I won't touch the hat until Thursday. That I promise.

Yes, leave it on til final buzzer. BTW, this will work for the series as a whole, whether the Lakers win it in 4 games, 7 games, or anything in between, so don't waver.

Yeah, I was gonna say, what's wrong with Yao (outside of these injuries - arrgh)?

This was a topic a I brought up in this thread not too long ago, who are the true centers currently in the NBA? Howard, Shaq, and Yao were all I could name and no one suggested any others.

I suggested a few: Tyson Chandler is a good defensive center. Chris Kaman is a true center, and pretty good too. Brook Lopez is going to be a good center. An underrated true center in the NBA is Samuel Dalembert. Bynum. Oden is true center but he hasn't proven anything yet. Andrew Bogut, anyone? Not all that great, but a true center...

There's more but not many more worth mentioning.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

See, that was where I was going, but I feel better now that you've validated the idea.

Yes, leave it on til final buzzer. BTW, this will work for the series as a whole, whether the Lakers win it in 4 games, 7 games, or anything in between, so don't waver.

Okay, I'm totally ready. One thing, though... I note that game 2 is at home on Sunday. I'm assuming I need to have to wear something that goes well with white, or perhaps actually wear white. Wearing white seems like it's the right idea for game 2, right?

Okay, I'm totally ready. One thing, though... I note that game 2 is at home on Sunday. I'm assuming I need to have to wear something that goes well with white, or perhaps actually wear white. Wearing white seems like it's the right idea for game 2, right?

No. Do not intentionally wear white. If you happen to wear white inadvertently, that's fine, but don't go out of your way to do so. The focus for you should be on the hat.

What if LA sweeps the series? What should Jeff wear on the days that the last three games would have been played?

Best,

Geoff

Well, and this is completely optional and just for the fun of it, he could wear Larry Bird underwear, but only if going camping for a long weekend where no showering would be available. Then upon his return, mail it to LeBron and address it "attention sore loser".

First off I want to say LeBron should not be excused from ridicule for his unsportsmanlike conduct after the loss. I'm stunned he behaved the way he did.

Thursday?! Wow, that reminds me. I HATE the playoff format..It takes 6 months to play the NBA playoffs!!

I heard the great windbag Cowherd on ESPN radio today, talking about a 3 game 1st round. He mentioned that it doesn't take 7 games to decide who the best team is between 1 & 8 seeds. Shorter rest before the finals? I can go for that, but not much shorter. Your thoughts?

I liked the 5 game format for the first round, they never should have changed it. Is 82 too many games for the regular season?

I liked the 5 game format for the first round, they never should have changed it. Is 82 too many games for the regular season?

Yes.

Each team should have 16 regular season games with a bye week. The playoffs should consist of one game each round. In case of a tie, there should be a sudden death overtime -- the first team to score a basket wins.

I'm thinking it would be kind of cool too if they tackled the guy with the ball.

;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Yes.

Each team should have 16 regular season games with a bye week. The playoffs should consist of one game each round. In case of a tie, there should be a sudden death overtime -- the first team to score a basket wins.

;)

Best,

Geoff

haha...I almost like it.

but seriously, a 50 game schedule would allow teams to develop for the playoffs with less injuries. however, I do enjoy all the games.

No. Do not intentionally wear white. If you happen to wear white inadvertently, that's fine, but don't go out of your way to do so. The focus for you should be on the hat.

Oh my GOD, you are so right. See, I would have entirely screwed this up. Thank goodness I know you.

I'm thinking it would be kind of cool too if they tackled the guy with the ball.

;)

Best,

Geoff

That actually happens a lot during the last 30 seconds of close games.

Look at the '89 Pistons. More contact than a football game. :D

;)

Best,

Geoff

That actually happens a lot during the last 30 seconds of close games.

Look at the '89 Pistons. More contact than a football game. :D

Not to mention the all-time King of the Flop, Bill "1 inch vertical" Laimbeer.

but seriously, a 50 game schedule would allow teams to develop for the playoffs with less injuries. however, I do enjoy all the games.

I agree, 50 games, and 5 for the first round playoffs would be so much better. Almost no one I know even watches the NBA before Christmas, save for the occasional matchup or actually going to a game.

TROLL . . . ish.

First off I want to say LeBron should not be excused from ridicule for his unsportsmanlike conduct after the loss. I'm stunned he behaved the way he did.

5-game format for the first round, 60-game regular season at the most. Phil Jackson has publicly complained about the regular season being too long as well, much to the chagrin of the league.

Archived