Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

I guess the Magic want to close out the series at home on a Saturday night. :rolleyes:

As I watched the MVP take over the game last night, I still do not get the feeling the Cavs are on the ropes down 3-2.

If Orlando loses tomorrow night...

OTOH, the amount of energy LBJ expends keeping his team in the fight has to take its toll at some point. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the amount of energy LBJ expends keeping his team in the fight has to take its toll at some point. :cool:

...That, and I didn't see the Cavs solve their mismatch problems with the Magic last night. They were saved by a superhuman performance. Could it happen again? Of course! But let's not assume it is simple of automatic, and, as Prof points out, LeBron has been been spending a lot.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

From this fan's perspective, Orlando-Lakers would be the better matchup. I think the Lakers would swallow the Cavs. How less impressive could every Cav but one be?

W3rd. The way they're all playing rigbht now, Orlando vs either LA or Denver would be a better series than if Cleveland makes it.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

... or Denver...

Wha???

If Denver makes the finals (not gonna happen) about 9 people will be watching. :bor:

Maybe so but Denver is giving 5 points to LA tonight on the betting line.

Cleveland is the worst TV market and worst team of the four. It's a walking Nike commercial.

At least LA wakes up and goes back to playing team ball instead of Kobe ball and gets it right every other game. Tonight's a road game and we're due for another Kobe game after a fine game 5. Denver forces a 7th game IMHO.

If Denver makes the finals (not gonna happen) about 9 people will be watching. :bor:

What an excellent reason to dismiss a team from being a viable contender. :rolleyes:

Denver vs. Orlando would be a much better series than watching a bunch of lazy, inconsistent millionaires standing around hoping their superstar is better than the other team's superstar. :idea:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

That Dr. J shot from the '80 finals is, for me, still the greatest highlight shot of all time. I thought so when I saw it happen the first time, and I have yet to see a shot that tops it.

Yes!

NBA Finals: Lakers vs. ?

From this fan's perspective, Orlando-Lakers would be the better matchup. I think the Lakers would swallow the Cavs. How less impressive could every Cav but one be?

W3rd. The way they're all playing rigbht now, Orlando vs either LA or Denver would be a better series than if Cleveland makes it.

Cleveland would be helped a little by home court, as will LA if it's Orlando.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

More like, "Can't miss!!!-able."

Like the Lakers' 100% 24-straight free throw shooting?

GO LAKERS

Those damn refs!!! Denver went to the line 25 times!!! The fix was in!!!

Yes!

NBA Finals: Lakers vs. ?

Cleveland would be helped a little by home court, as will LA if it's Orlando.

Best,

Geoff

I don't know that LA will benefit as much from home court vs. Orlando. The Magic have already demonstrated repeatedly throughout the finals that they can win on other peoples' turf. Turkoglu, as an example, actually plays better on the road than at home...

Oh - and the Magic also beat the Lakers both at home and at Staples this year...

But don't let that put a damper on your preemptive trophy-hoisting party, Steady... :D

Oh - and the Magic also beat the Lakers both at home and at Staples this year...

But don't let that put a damper on your preemptive trophy-hoisting party, Steady... :D

It isn't. :rawk::rimshot::deadhorse::snax:

...by three points and by six points -- slim victories. And that was four and five months ago -- not exactly a great barometer for how they'd fare today.

Not that I'm dismissing Orlando. Far from it. I'm just saying this potential series is no gimme -- for either team.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I really hope it's the Magic.

Funny thing about sports--as far as cities go, I would much rather see the good fans of Cleveland get that championship they so deserve and have come so close to ('97 WS was the killer). Orlando? I am sure there are real fans there too, but it's like sports as a big arcade game and CGI dance line. Cleveland is true blue. I mean, it's a Browns first, Indians second town, but they'll take it...

But I prefer the Magic as a team, and that's what always wins me over--the team, not the city. They're weird, they're different. Their star, in my opinion, isn't really a star yet.

They're playing without arguably their second best player (check out Jameer Nelson's stat line this year: 17 ppg on 50% FG including 45% from three--and he is known primarily as a defensive player). LeBron getting his is not a compelling story to me: it's a fait accompli continually in risk of being bungled by bad personnel management. when he DOES get his I hope it is in Cleveland, but it'll be Chris Bosh, Not Z and the late Ben Wallace, up front....

Paranoid rant to follow:

If somebody other than the men on the court is to be deciding this game, there's only two places you'll need to look--fouls on Howard, and fouls not called on LeBron. The refs have pretty much already established that when LeBron initiates contact, LeBron has been fouled--even when it's, like, LeBron leading with his arm. Don't expect that to change tonight.

But when you've got a guy who tries to block every shot, nothing could be easier than unobtrusively getting him to the bench. Unlike Lakers\Sac game 6 '02, where it took an insane variety and abundance of blatantly terrible calls to redirect the outcome of the game, it can be done tonight very discretely, really with one or two whistles.

/paranoia

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived