Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

After an 18 week wait my new fish arrived today....

Luke73

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sound clips? Please?

Here's a small sound clip I just recorded:

My sincere apologies to you all for my ham-fisted playing!

:freak: :freak: :freak:

The strings are some 6 month old fairly dead DR Sunbeams I grabbed from the cupboard, seeing as though my dealer wasn't able to coordinate a new set of Sunbeams to arrive with my new bass and I didn't want to play the rough Warwick Black Label stainless rounds on this bass (the Black Labels have quite a nice tone, but boy - they feel like 80 grit sandpaper!). Some new Sunbeams should arrive soon hopefully.

The recording methodology is as follows:

Bass set with tone all the way up, pickup blend favouring the bridge pickup slightly.

Bass into Warwick Blue Cab 20 combo, all EQ dead flat. Line out from Combo into M-Audio USB Mobile-Pre.

M-Audio USB Mobile-Pre into Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and recorded in Audacity with no post processing. Encoded into mp3 using lame at 128 bits.

http://www.comcen.com.au/~eberbachl/Music/continuum.mp3

Getting that intonation right above the twelfth fret (actually, anywhere for that matter!) is tough :D

Hopefully with some serious practice I can get it to a decent level.

I'm thrilled with the bass though - just got to work on driving it.

:thu:

Luke - that's beautiful. The grain (so well matched) on the body wood is very nice - less than some ash I've seen, more than alder. I agree that the matching headstock was a great visual choice.

It sounds great !!! I know you're very happy !!

Enjoy!

If I'd known a year ago that I'd still be twiddling my thumbs a year later... I've had to pass on a lot of nice fish since then.

C'mon dcr. If you'd gotten the RIC sooner, you'd still have passed on those other nice fish :wink:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

That's definitely true, Tom. However, if I'd known it was going to take this long, there are a lot of other ways I may have preferred to go.

Thanks for the clips, Luke! That thing sounds great.

....took it to my Jazz class last night. Great fun! Really sounded lovely, and I was even fortunate enough had a few kind comments regarding my new bass and my intonation. It was far from perfect, but I'm feeling more comfortable with this bass than I expected to after less than a week.

I think my fretted Corvette is going to be lonely for a little while.

:thu:

Archived