Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

After an 18 week wait my new fish arrived today....

Luke73

Yay - ordered a Warwick Custom Shop fretless Corvette with Afzelia body, Matching headstock, and MEC passive J pups in December last year.

After an excruciating 18 week wait, it arrived today!

Lovely bass indeed - everything I'd hoped for. The build is great, the timber lovely, and the tone fantastic.

.....now to work on my intonation! Had better start practising with the lights out from now on!

Here are a couple of quick pics I snapped this afternoon.

:thu:

http://www.comcen.com.au/~eberbachl/pics/csvette1.jpg

http://www.comcen.com.au/~eberbachl/pics/csvette2.jpg

http://www.comcen.com.au/~eberbachl/pics/csvette3.jpg

http://www.comcen.com.au/~eberbachl/pics/csvette4.jpg

http://www.comcen.com.au/~eberbachl/pics/csvette5.jpg

http://www.comcen.com.au/~eberbachl/pics/csvette6.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beautiful. And, you're pretty good at this picture-taking thing. The photos are as well done as the bass.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

shiiiiiiit, as long as those 18 weeks probably felt, I would definitely wait that long for a nice fish to come along.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

That is pretty much the exact bass I had a dream about the other night.

I'm sure it is well deserved. Congrats and enjoy!

"It takes an awfully good drummer to be better than no drummer at all." Steve Millhouse

Thanks very much everyone about the kind words about the pictures and the bass everybody :)

The pics are really just some super quick snap shots I grabbed with my Nikon D50 and 50mm f:1.8 lens. I should have changed lenses, but was too keen to grab some quick pics for the forums, and then get playing.

Over the next week or so I'll spend a little time taking some nicer pics of it ;)

I only have one complaint thus far - the bass ships with Warwick straplocks, which are fine, but some bozo attached the straplocks to the back of the headstock with a n elastic band, and the straplocks pressing on the Ovangkol left a small dent. Fortunately I was able to carefully steam the dent out, and now it's not visible, but it could have ended in tears! Normally Warwicks ship with the straplocks stuffed in a pocket in the included Warwick Bass Owner's kit, so it's a mystery why mine were rubber-banded to the back of the headstock.

Other than that - I'm absoloutely thrilled with the bass!

It's a little lighter than my Bubinga Corvette, yet still balances nicely on a strap. The Afzelia body is just heavy enough to offset the Ovangkol neck.

The Tigerstripe Ebony they used on the fingerboard is gorgeous! Hard, heavy, dense, with a lovely grain. I couldn't have selected a nicer piece myself. :D

The bass is a joy to play, and whilst I still have a long way to go with my fretless intonation - luckily I've always paid particular attention to developing good left hand technique, and the cutover to fretless isn't too hard. As I said my intonation is far from perfect, but for the most part it's passable which is a relief.

The MEC Passive pups I've had before in another bass and quite like them. They're single coils, and not RW/RP, so can have a tendency to pickup a little noise. The control cavity is nicely shielded, and they're not too bad (in fact I actually have to try hard to produce some noise), but I'll soon shield the pickup cavities also which will reduce any slight noise even further.

So does that have the baseball bat neck?

Yes :D

At first I was a little skeptical about the chunkier Warwick neck, but after spending 18 months or so with my Bubinga Corvette I've grown to love it.

I think you can order different neck profiles from the Warwick Custom shop, but I like it like this.

:thu:

Glad you like it. The more people who dig their Warwicks makes me think my dream bass (Fretless 6-string Thumb NT) is a good one to shoot for.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

I'll try and work on a sound clip that won't make your ears bleed :D

RE: the 18 week wait - it wasn't so bad. The only thing that made it difficult was that the Australian distributor said 4-8 week wait (obviously to secure the order)...so every week it was "should be ready any day now".

LOL

If they'd said - it'll be 4-6 months I would still have ordered it, and would have been pleasantly surprised when it arrived after only 18 weeks.

;)

RE: the 18 week wait - it wasn't so bad. The only thing that made it difficult was that the Australian distributor said 4-8 week wait (obviously to secure the order)...so every week it was "should be ready any day now".

When I ordered my Rogue I was told "about 4 months". I translated that through my Hippie Filter to mean 6 to 8 months if I'm lucky. How pleasantly surprised I was to see pictures of the body in carving already at the end of December (less than 2 months in!). Of course once finish started hitting it in mid-January I very foolishly started getting excited about it showing up soon. That finish process takes an eternity. I still feel very lucky to have received it at the end of March. Just short of 5 months is still really fast for a custom instrument.

Yes, that IS annoying.

Last year, I was shopping for a new Rickenbacker 4004, and read that the production manager at the factory said they would finish the run (which would include my prospective bass) by the end of 2007. OK, I'll wait that long, I said, & ordered. Well...end of 2007 & the manager was now saying that the build had just been scheduled, and would be April 08. Well, I've waited this long already, I thought... Then in April we heard maybe mid-May. Yada yada yada.

It's one thing to wait a long time, & quite another to wait much longer than you'd been told it would be. If I'd known a year ago that I'd still be twiddling my thumbs a year later... I've had to pass on a lot of nice fish since then.

Archived