Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you determine what reverb/delay to put on live keys?

newguy_dup1

I play a Yamaha Motif Classic in a two guitar/1 keyboard band, we play 60s/70s rock for baby boomers. We generally use a Yamaha StagePas 300 for smaller gigs (vox and my keys go out that),but are looking at larger gigs now (the last gig, in a banquet hall, we scrounged up some bigger powered speakers), and I was just trying to figure out how to set my keyboard up for gigs larger than living rooms.

I have read that putting reverb out on the PAs makes the keyboard sound very "digital", because after all the room we're in has it's own intrinsic reverb properties. Some people also say that they run their pianos completely dry ... others say with some delay.

Is there a general consensus for what kind of reverb/delay to put on acoustic piano voices/organs/synth/horns etc.?

Thanks for helping out!

Alexis

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mate stubb is right, as little as possible is good. With too much reverb/delay your keys will get lost in the mix and create sonic mud.

I do it like this:

1)Turn down the delay and reverb.

2)Now start turning it up slowly until you start noticing it (I mean, barely notice)

3)Turn down by one step.

Some sounds require more delay, like lead synth sounds, whenever you solo.

If the sound is good without delay/reverb - leave it dry.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

It kind of depends on the voice you are using. Generally for a piano, I have a soundboard emulation reverb and that's it. Electric pianos and B3 are as dry as dirt. For pads, choirs, pipe organs might have quite a lot. Leads get delay and no reverb.

Jerry

I try to use as little as possible. It drives me crazy how many factory patches are heavy in reverb. My Alesis was terrible for that. Less is more. Nothing beats natural reverberation in a room

Keys: Kurzweil PC3 & PC1se, Nord Electro 2, Roland HP603

Guitars: Strat Plus, Les Paul Std, Martin DC-16RGTE

Amps: Mackie SRM450, Fender Cyber Twin & Studio 85, Traynor Block 12, Boss GT-1

For larger venues, I turn it off completely. For smaller rooms, I pull it back to between 15-25% of the full volume...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

hrm. reverb eh?

I leave the reverb off on everything most of the time.

the only time reverb comes in is studio production for me, unless I want an interesting solo.

I velcro a Boss DD-6 onto my digital piano which I use for clav, rhodes, piano, and strings occasionally.

this I have having to bend down to mess with stuff, and considering that a handful of the time I do reggae, I like to slap it on for a stab, then slap it off.

for me it's all about the wah pedal, delay, and I love me some envelope filter on my synth sounds so make it reaaaaaal funky.

but reverb? not so much.

besides, my guitar player uses plenty. haha

my mentor told me something I won't forget.

If you start to sound too digital, then work the sound until it's almost honky tonk. haha I didn't quite understand what he was going for exactly, but this man would make a radio shack keyboard sound incredible. it was in his approach to each new sound.

and if he used reverb, he liked maybe 10-20% tops.

I am what I am, and that's all I am.

A good sound engineer would advise turning reverb off.

In general, it is a good idea to practice without too. Might seem a little weird at first but eventually, 'dry' sounds natural.

Of course, sampled and synthesized sounds benefit from effects depending on the usage.

Otherwise, use as little reverb as possible. It is already the most overused effect in KBs. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived