Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

did dave stewart play on all these tunes?

ikeaman

hey everyone im learning these jeff berlin /bruford tunes for a gig :

5g

if you cant stand the heat

hells bells

joe frazer

prelude

..just double checking if anyone knows that it IS dave stewart (obviously not eurythmics DS) that plays on all the originals as i have to write a report on it doh! not my gig but a bass player whos on the same BA course with me doing a project on jeff berlin. amazing stuff and my fingers are falling off ..some of those lines are way too fast for me ha ha ha. ive heard the tunes before but never attempted to play them.

have any of you played these tunes before?..ive had to resort to playing double handed to get some of those lines down :o any tips?

ikeaman

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

george forman grill ( special edition w removable plates )

kopparberg non alcoholic pear cider

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't give you any tips, sorry, yet I envy you very much, because I wish I had the same stimulus to learn all those parts! lol

If the following compositions - 5g, if you cant stand the heat, hells bells, joe frazier are from Bruford studio/live albums, then I'd give 99% that Dave Stewart played the keys. However I am not sure about the "prelude"... Kinda' do not remember such track in the Bruford discography...

I am back.

thanks gulliver...to be honest id rather sit and chill to those tunes than play them ;) but i guess at the end of the day its a challenge and i certainly wont lose out by trying to learn them. the gig will be early next month and ill bring my camcorder so i can youtube it for everyone to laugh at ha ha ha

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

Just pulled out my five Bruford CDs and they include every piece you mentioned except Prelude.

Hell's Bells, Sample and Hold, and 5g all appear on The Bruford Tapes (1979).

Joe Frazier is on Graduallly Going Tornado (1980).

Hell's Bells and Joe Frazier are also on Master Strokes: 1978-1985 (1986), along with If You Can't Stand the Heat. Sample and Hold and If You Can't Stand the Heat are also on Feels Good To Me (1977).

The great Dave Stewart plays keys on all of them. He wrote about Hell's Bells and Sample and Hold in his May 1986 Private Lessons column in Keyboard, and he wrote about Sample and Hold again in his Inside the Music column in the August 1991 issue. Yes, there are transcriptions. Hope you have access to those issues because I don't have a working scanner.

Fun memories. A long time ago, we had a King Crimson tribute band and we often played pieces of similar progressive stuff, among which were Bruford/Stewart/Berlin/Holdsworth "Fainting in coils". I heard all the other tunes you are referring to but never played them... I guess we had enough of one to try to master. :D

The real difficulty was not the keyboard part, it was to synchronize everything as a band and make it feel easy and fun, which takes a lot of practice with the other musicians. Obviously not everyone is able to even try to play like any of those guys, especially Berlin on the bass and Holdsworth on guitar. They created really great music together.

Also, I remember Dave Stewart used to write a page in the Keyboard magazine.

noah thanks for checking for me. i always liked dave stewart. im pretty sure i have those keyboard mags but theyre tucked away in my garage in a box! the prelude thing is actually from the jeff berlin trio and is called bach c minor prelude... and i found it on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkjXn08WKTc ive been told the piano player is richard drexler??

cydonia..yes youre right the tricky thing is trying to put it all together and having sound good. tight is one thing but i rather get the emotion thing happening than sounding like robots. i think we'll take a few liberties here and there anyway ;) ..no one can play like those guys certainly not myself

...and ive been learning it by ear doh! :0

i k e a m a n

www.jondimac.com

korg kronos 61

nord lead 1

chapman stick

I was totally stoked to find some old Bruford videos on youtube awhile back. Man! Years of listening to my One of a Kind LPs (first one wore out!) was great, but seeing these guys play on live video was the topping on the cake. Love that tone that Stewart got with his P5 (silky smooth - a Rev 2 perhaps?) and other sounds.

Anyway, check it out, along with the related vids on the right:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iJN9lTZyQ2I&feature=related

Speaking of One of a Kind - has anyone noticed the CD version's sound quality? It sounds like there is processing by some sort of frequency-dependant noise gate. While the albums had some pop/ticks and noise and what-have-you, they sounded nice and airy. The CD, however, has a weak muffled sound. When I tried to EQ it, it doesn't help because the freq. spectrum keeps changing with the audio level (mix volume). It's very disappointing! I wish my turntable still worked.

Archived