Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for SRX-12 owners

ferran rc

Hello,

I have the SRX-12 installed in the RD-700sx.

I find that th EP1 and EP2 sounds in the SRX12 are more "bell" type than the EP's in the RD-700sx.

I would like to get a darker EP sound from the SRX12, with more bark, and a little fatter.

I've tried some EQ, effects, layers...but I can't get that sound. It always has a "bell" attack. The SRX Eps are more detailed than the RD Eps, but I can't eliminate this bell character...

What can I try? Anny suggestion? :idea:

Thanks!

Ferran

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

No, I haven't had any rhodes. I would like to find one, but for the moment I can't...and here in Spain they are very difficult to find.

I like the SRX-12 very much, the sounds are very detailed, and probably one of the best hardware rhodes emulations.

I use EP1 presets of the SRX-12, but I also wanted to configure some setups with a darker rhodes sound, with more bark, and a little less bell, and I don't know how to get it...

I find that the EP's in the RD-700sx are less detailed, but have more "presence" and attack.

I would want to find a similar sound with the SRX-12 tones.

Jazz+, do you have any mp3 of the SRX-12 EP-1 to compare? I'm sure the card is not defective, but if I could compare...

Thanks very much!

Ferran

I have an SRX 12 in a 700SX also which I bought precisely beacuse of it's bell sound. For the sound you are describing you might try using the patch called "Hard EP1" as a starting point for your edits. Good luck.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

If you remove the top layer you can set the Touch to Light and it will bark.

Which is the way to adjust or remove layers in the SRX?

Does it mean that I have to save the EP1 of the SRX as a setup, and then assign the same sound to the 4 internal zones (layers?) of the RD-700sx, and then adjust the Velocity Range for each layer/zone?

I'm sorry for my ignorance...I bought the RD-700SX and the SRX-12 some months ago, and I usually use preset sounds. I've tried changing effects, touch settings and some other features, but I still haven't adjust layers.

Your explanations are welcome, :thu:

Thanks again for your help,

Ferran

I'd say EP2 as well, that's the more mellow one. And take out the hardest velocity layer.

In my experience, playing the thing through medium quality speakers/amps takes out the detail and gives a more mellow/vintage quality to the sound. Headphones and the absence of other sounds/noise perhaps might give too much detail (for instance too much bell sound).

That might work as well.

You might want to try using a static phaser on your Rhodes patch. I did this the other night and it's an interesting way of getting different tones. I was using the regular Roland 8-Stage Phaser but with 0 depth of modulation and then I was tweaking the manual frequency to find different sounds. Certain settings work better with some resonance added but I settled on a sound without.

I find the first two layers of EP1 more bell sounding so you might want to spend most of your time playing the third layer. I never seem to use EP2.

I don't understand what's so wrong with the way it is. The bell tone is a main ingredient of a real Rhodes sound. Maybe you don't like a real Rhodes sound.

No, there's nothing wrong with the EP sounds of the SRX-12! I like the EP1 sound a lot, and I use it and I like how it sounds, I know the bell tone is a very important part of a real rhodes sound.

I only wanted to have another different sound, with a little less bell, but not to replace the EP1, only to have another possibility...Maybe I didn't explained it well. I would like to have another different sound to choose, with different properties and different character.

Thanks for all your suggestions and opinions, I'm sure I'll finally find it! :thu:

EP2 is more what you're looking for, and sounds more like a Stage through Fender than EP1 which is a sampled Suitcase, I believe. There are 4 layers and you can edit the velocity switch-points. So just work out wich layer/s you don't like and move the velocity range of the layer's you do like to cover them. Don't know about the RD but in the fantom you have amp modelling, eq, compression, chorus etc. for more fat, bark, tine, whatever you want really.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I no longer have the RD700SX so I'm doing this from memory. You're basically going to reduce a parameter in the setup so that the top layer doesn't trigger, e.g. reduce it from 127 to 115. At the same time you will need to reduce the top velocity the RD is going to transmit to 115 as well, otherwise you just get silence when you strike hard. I did this to eliminate the top velocity samples, which I like but felt they jumped to that level to abruptly. I was happier with the three velocity level version.

Busch.

I no longer have the RD700SX so I'm doing this from memory. You're basically going to reduce a parameter in the setup so that the top layer doesn't trigger, e.g. reduce it from 127 to 115. At the same time you will need to reduce the top velocity the RD is going to transmit to 115 as well, otherwise you just get silence when you strike hard. I did this to eliminate the top velocity samples, which I like but felt they jumped to that level to abruptly. I was happier with the three velocity level version.

Busch.

Did you remember where can I find the 4 layers and the velocity range of each one?

Thanks!

I think what you need to do is go into ZONE INFO. Find VRU (Velocity Range Upper) and bring it down to where the top layer is no longer sounding. Now lower Max (Velocity Max) to the same number. This is going to prevent the highest velocity layer from sounding. Pure EP1 uses four velocities. I just find the highest level jumpy, so eliminating it helps to smooth out the EP. I don't know that it's going to address your issue of the bell tome at all.

Busch.

I just used my 2020 with an old keyboard to trigger the SRX12 and I felt hamstringed into its sound.

I am sure it was not setup correctly. I got more bell than i needed. I felt a lack of balls

as a result. Turning treble down and bass up, did not help.

burningbusch what is your latest preference here? I see you dropped the RD700SX.

Thanks

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

I think what you need to do is go into ZONE INFO. Find VRU (Velocity Range Upper) and bring it down to where the top layer is no longer sounding. Now lower Max (Velocity Max) to the same number. This is going to prevent the highest velocity layer from sounding. Pure EP1 uses four velocities. I just find the highest level jumpy, so eliminating it helps to smooth out the EP. I don't know that it's going to address your issue of the bell tome at all.

Busch.

Thanks! :thu:

About this card since we are on the subject, I have an xv-5050. According to the rolandus web site I can only use the first 50 patches of this card since I don't have the Fantom x, s or juno G. I already have card 7 which has some good rhodes sounds. My question: Since I can only use the first 50 patches, and since I already have the srx 7, is it worth getting card 12.

yes - most of us are only using one of the first 4 patches, usually "pure" 1 or 2

About this card since we are on the subject, I have an xv-5050. According to the rolandus web site I can only use the first 50 patches of this card since I don't have the Fantom x, s or juno G. I already have card 7 which has some good rhodes sounds. My question: Since I can only use the first 50 patches, and since I already have the srx 7, is it worth getting card 12.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Archived