Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

jazzy guitar-driven funk tunes

MILLO

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some Skunk Funk....Brecker Brothers.....I could have sworn on my album that was titled Some Punk Funk........maybe iTunes got it wrong. Can anyone verify that?

The best Breckers version I can find on iTunes is off Sneakin' Up Behind You....that is the original.

That intro is challenging, I remember the first time that chart was put in front of me....I about freaked.

Cobham did a version on A Funky Thide Of Sings.

Some Skunk Funk....Brecker Brothers.....I could have sworn on my album that was titled Some Punk Funk........maybe iTunes got it wrong. Can anyone verify that?

I remember it from that album as skunk, not punk.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Yeah I was spacing........I do not know why I had punk my head....blame it on too long of gaps between the opiates as I wean off.......withdrawals clouded my memory.

Millo, did you get the original version I told you about?

Yeah I was spacing........I do not know why I had punk my head....blame it on too long of gaps between the opiates as I wean off.......withdrawals clouded my memory.

I had never heard of them

Awesome, am checking out some iTunes clips now :thu:

Great thread Millo :thu:

Being Canadian, I would be remiss if I didn't mention UZEB, the Montreal-based fusion band. They started as a quartet, but in my opinion their best music was as a trio. All three amazing musicians are among the best at what they do...guitar, bass, drums. They were famous for utilizing the latest technology to augment their sound (guitar synth pioneers), but are really just amazing musicians.

They no longer are together, but both Michel Cusson (guitar) and Alain Caron (Bass) still record and play with their own amazing bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDTHpYCSDAw

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

YEAH! Got that and the Cobham, like the Breckers's sound better. Thanks for the recommendation! I haven't heard them very well yet, just getting ready to get funky next week. Got some Sco as well.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Yeah I know you are kidding but just so some of the newer guys are clear.....I had a major surgery on my back and the surgery came with painkillers.....quite a few months of them.

Like any drug they have this peculiar tendency to make you want to take them NOT as directed........"come on you can do it take more of me more often". But I have been good and only taken them as prescribed and then less and less to the point that now I might only have one or one and a half each day......and I am working towards none a day.

If you only take opiate pain meds for pain...your chance of out and out addiction is reduced. However there is something in between called dependancy......and it is very easy to find one's self dependant to an extent.

Bottom line they are scary and to take them recreationally is really fricken stupid.

Just so everyone is clear.....I have never abused my pain meds......but as a stupid kid I did some of the things stupid kids do and I survived it, so I have my survived my youth medal and feel like I have earned a right to joke about it sometimes.

So these are jokes when I make comments about opiates...they are no joke though.

Sorry man if I crossed a line w/ that stupid joke...

Anyhow, I'll be listening to some groovy jazz-funk (otherwise known as junk, JUST KIDDING!) on my way to work this morning. :thu:

My MySpace Space

Sorry man if I crossed a line ....

No not at all Millo, I was absolutely not trying to make a point with you......it just made me realize that I joke about it a lot but I failed to consider that there are a few new guys who do not know me on the board now.

You guys know that I live a real basic quiet somewhat healthy life now and I have been away from the partying for a long time. I would just hate for some person who does not know me to be influenced by something stupid I said....not that I am anyone to aspire to.... and go mess around with opiates.

I was just trying to make that clear....sorry if it made you feel a little scaly bro', not intended.

In case any of you don't know, Fumbly and Millo are two of the nicest guys on this forum.....way to work it out, guys!! :thu:

Now, this "Some Skunk Funk" is just fantastic!! I've know of the Brecker Bros, but never really got into them....I should have. Great stuff.

Sure the horns, guitar, and drums are great. But, is anyone taking note of the friggin bass player???

Holy "Skunk"!!! :eek:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Sorry man if I crossed a line ....

No not at all Millo, I was absolutely not trying to make a point with you......it just made me realize that I joke about it a lot but I failed to consider that there are a few new guys who do not know me on the board now.

You guys know that I live a real basic quiet somewhat healthy life now and I have been away from the partying for a long time. I would just hate for some person who does not know me to be influenced by something stupid I said....not that I am anyone to aspire to.... and go mess around with opiates.

I was just trying to make that clear....sorry if it made you feel a little scaly bro', not intended.

So what the hell am I supposed to do with this bucket of Morphine, now?

In case any of you don't know, Fumbly and Millo are two of the nicest guys on this forum.....way to work it out, guys!! :thu:

Now, this "Some Skunk Funk" is just fantastic!! I've know of the Brecker Bros, but never really got into them....I should have. Great stuff.

Sure the horns, guitar, and drums are great. But, is anyone taking note of the friggin bass player???

Holy "Skunk"!!! :eek:

well, thanks... Fumbly: no probs at all, I understand one has to be careful w/ one's words.

My MySpace Space

Yeah, these bass players and drummers have to be tight as is! I think the bass line is one of the most important factors in funk. If I were to make a funk arrangement I'd start by figuring out a bass line (obvious one that follows the harmony) and picturing everything from there.

My MySpace Space

• 4 weeks later...

Getting back to the subject...............

Ol'Skool Fusion Funk Guitar/Charles "Icarus" Johnson with George Duke on the albums, "Reach For It" and "Don't Let Go" (check out the track, "Dukey Stick")

Newer Stuff, Cheili Minucci (from Special EFX) "Got It Going On" Notable tracks, "Chic", "Deeper Than Deep", "Destiny", "The Juice" and "Denial" (I'm listening to that right now)

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

Maracatu Atomico, Lee Ritenour

Sun Goddess, Ramsey Lewis-EWF on backup vocals are pretty hard to approximate, but MAN I love that tune

Free as the Wind, The Crusaders-Larry freakin Carlton-DANG

if you can find it, Thank You by Geggy Tah-sort of an indie pop-jazz number

Mr. Magic, Grover Washington Jr.-think the album was Winelight.

Bumpin on Sunset-been done by several artists

Some suggested artists (meaning I can`t remember song titles)

Noel Pointer

John Tropea-check out his cover of `Can`t Hide Love`

Sea Level-Chuck Leavell & company

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yes, Rit has been a big time Brazillian music fan for a long time-I think Milton Nasciamento did the original version

and Rit was a guest player, or maybe the other way around-

anyway here`s another version of the song, it`s a fun jam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yMkhTmHpWc

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived