Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blues songs for bar gigs and bar gig questions

Blues Disciple

Hey guys, can we try and not use the term secular when referring to non religious music of this century ... or the previous century ... or the century before that?

Why not? The usage you object to is widespread in everyday use, particularly among musicians who do play in church.

And this is what dictionary.com has to say:

Secular music, any music or songs not adapted to sacred uses.

--Dave

Yeah, it's like saying that a ballad can only be a long form poem set to music. You may prefer that definition, but then we don't have a word to use for it, and it's a commonly accepted definition at this point. Besides, it's not like the word secular is being used all the time, but it's useful in discussions such as these.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, can we try and not use the term secular when referring to non religious music of this century ... or the previous century ... or the century before that?

Why not? The usage you object to is widespread in everyday use, particularly among musicians who do play in church.

And this is what dictionary.com has to say:

Secular music, any music or songs not adapted to sacred uses.

--Dave

Yeah, it's like saying that a ballad can only be a long form poem set to music. You may prefer that definition, but then we don't have a word to use for it, and it's a commonly accepted definition at this point. Besides, it's not like the word secular is being used all the time, but it's useful in discussions such as these.

Yep. When the guy is moving from playing in churches (religious music) and he wants to get across the point that he wants to move out to bars to play non-religious music, "secular" is the word that describes that. No one said Dave that you have to be a secular jazz piano player. The word was used appropriately in this case.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Check out The Blind Boys of Alabama... They did Amazing Grace to the tune of House of The Rising Sun (I think that was it). That should give you some inspiration to take Christian songs and put the lyrics over blues stuff.

http://blindboys.com/

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I think the label of Contemporary Christian Music might be more accurate than religious music (when referring to Christian music written in the last 30 years or so).

I've seen and listened to (though in small doses) CCM and if I didn't listen to the lyrics I would have thought it just another pop\rock concert replete with lights and smoke.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

If you do not classify your music first you'll do better. "Let the music do the talking" is good advice. Good music is always good.

+1 :thu:

Same goes for musicianship. Rather than classify yourself, shut up and play unless you've really got something to say. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Dave, yes, that's a whole 'nother topic, isn't it? The joke is to replace "baby" with "Jesus" in all the songs and you're suddenly a Christian band, or as you say, CCM. There was a South Park episode about it as well. Personally, I find that whole genre creepy, especially the TV ads where they show kids at the concert praying and weeping and waving, yet it looks and sounds like a pop concert like you say.

Though I'm under the impression the OP was doing more of a blues thing than the CCM pop thing.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Seems a bit nitpicky about terms to me Dave.

Christian music whether it is traditional or contemporary is certainly religious music.

If the song is about God or Jesus or about how to be a better Christian or Jewish person or Muslim, whatever, then it's religious music. If it's about liking big butts (and you cannot lie) then it isn't.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

The St. Matthew Passion is religious music (or Sacred music) ... and music from that time period that wasn't religious would accurately be called secular music.

A contemporary Christian ditty that uses electric keyboards, electric bass, and drums might more accurately be labeled Contemporary Christian Music. If you delete the lyrics and it sounds like a pop\rock tune it probably should be labeled CCM.

And with this post I say .... Amen.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

If it's about liking big butts (and you cannot lie) then it isn't.

I know you were thinking of another song when you wrote about liking big butts, but it made me think of this one.

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'

That's what I said

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand

Or so I have read

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo

I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Big bottom, big bottom

Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em

Big bottom drive me out of my mind

How could I leave this behind?

I met her on Monday, twas my lucky bun day

You know what I mean

I love her each weekday, each velvety cheek day

You know what I mean

My love gun's loaded and she's in my sights

Big game is waiting there inside her tights, yeah

Big bottom, big bottom

Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em

I don't suppose the original poster will be playing this one.

But it shore gets more o' dem womenfolk to post here! ;)

If it's about liking big butts (and you cannot lie) then it isn't.

I know you were thinking of another song when you wrote about liking big butts, but it made me think of this one.

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'

That's what I said

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand

Or so I have read

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo

I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Big bottom, big bottom

Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em

I met her on Monday, twas my lucky bun day

You know what I mean

I love her each weekday, each velvety cheek day

You know what I mean

My love gun's loaded and she's in my sights

Big game is waiting there inside her tights, yeah

Big bottom, big bottom

Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em

I don't suppose the original poster will be playing this one.

Yep. This Is Spinal Tap is my favorite movie -- one of the few I own on DVD. "How could I leave this behind?" is a funny lyric.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Archived