Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Jeff Healey

duff beer

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my, this is a shock!! I didn't know he was sick?

What a unique and great performer and artist. Another special person lost way too soon.

I never knew that Retinoblastoma was the reason he lost his eyes and eyesight. Having Retinoblastoma puts one at risk for other cancers, namely Osteogenic Sarcoma. This is probably what got Jeff.

This is a good summary about Retinoblastoma.

http://www.visitech.org/retinoblastoma.html

Kids that get this, will often develope a white color to their pupil, which of course is normally black. Also, sometimes the first thing that is noticable in kids with Retinoblastoma is that their eyes turn in (i.e. cross-eyed). If you ever see a child with a white pupil, make sure they see an eyeMD. Also, any child with crossing eyes needs an exam, as well.

God bless Jeff, and bring his family some peace and comfort.

He will be sadly missed.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

NO. No no no. :mad:

That's messed up.

From the Dave Clark 5 singer RIP thread last week:

Well they say they go in 3's....so who's next? It is so crappy the whole concept...

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Very sad, I had no idea either. The other day I wondered who would be next, they always go in 3's. But not him, too too young. That is just terrible.

My 6 degree's of separation with Jeff is I did a background part in Roadhouse and I also played guitar on the demo of "Someday, Someway" written by Danny Tate who I played with at one point for a short while. I vaguely remember Jeff used the intro guitar part I came up with when he covered it. I gotta go look back on that see if I have the cassette of it. Marshall Rohner from Cruzado's also played on the demo.

Boggs, sorry about your friend.

This is terrible news! I've seen Jeff play many times, and met him briefly once. Incredible talent. We lost one of the very best today!

Again, condolences, Boggs!

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

My deepest symapthies, Boggs, about your friend.

Jeff's passing is bringing back sorrow when my partner passed away late last year. This is especially troubling:

Early last year, Healey underwent surgery to remove cancerous tissue from his legs, and later from both lungs; aggressive radiation treatments and chemotherapy, however, failed to halt the spread of the disease.

Some may have had success with radiation and chemo, but when Brent started radiation, it was the beginning of the end and he went downhill VERY quickly. :(

I remember seeing Jeff on SNL (I believe) and his performance blew me away....and he had incredible tone.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Man just heard about this, what a shame.

NO. No no no. :mad:

That's messed up.

From the Dave Clark 5 singer RIP thread last week:

Well they say they go in 3's....so who's next? It is so crappy the whole concept...

And sorry Bej, we lost Teo Macero last week as well (link). The man was truly a genius and incredibly under appreciated in this day and age. Several legends gone this past week.

And my condolences Boggs on your friend.

Then you'll never hear surf music again...

May he rest in peace
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I was a huge fan of Jeff's playing and his singing.

Being in cover bands, must have played and sang "Angel Eyes" a hundred times. He had a great tone and played with alot of feeling. His last album was especially interesting, because he also played trumpet on some tracks. He had an incredible gift and will be sorely missed. RIP Jeff Healey we won't forget you.

Boggs - I'm very sorry to hear of your friend passing as well.

I didn't know he was ill either. So long Jeff.

Sorry about your friend too, Boggs.

Wonder what the new Linkin Park album would sound like if they didn't have Perfect Circle to steal from.

You know what was really cool was that he said he quit the lengthy touring so he could be closer to his family....he made a comment of how he had "been there, done that". I think it was awesome that he was able to put that in perspective in order to spend quality time closer to home.....and really, a family is about the most creative thing a person can do.He still kept churning it out though. It sounds like he had a very good thing going on and yet at the same time to be dealing with the awful pain and uncertainty of cancer.

I say let's quadruple the amount of money that goes to research for cure's for Cancer, Cystic Fibrosis, Leukemia, Parkinson's, MS etc etc etc. This is where we should be spending our money......at home. 'Nuff said!!

I see he has an album about to be released.....very sad, a great life cut so short, the loss to the wife and young kids, awful.

I say let's quadruple the amount of money that goes to research for cure's for Cancer, Cystic Fibrosis, Leukemia, Parkinson's, MS etc etc etc. This is where we should be spending our money......at home. 'Nuff said!!

I see he has an album about to be released.....very sad, a great life cut so short, the loss to the wife and young kids, awful.

Nah, I prefer blowing my money on imperialistic wars of adventurism...

One thought I had was that if everybody went out and bought his new CD, and encouraged all the people we could to do so, that woul be something tangible we could do to help Jeff's family.

Archived