Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favourite Gadget?

RobRose

There are a couple cool threads here about favourite Gibsons and Fenders. What about gadgets. Not guitars, not amps, not pedals, but the cool accessories and do-hickies we depend on.

Mine?

1. the Fernandes Sustainer -- Just got a Sustainer-equipped guitar and it's very cool... especially playing clean... Keyboard players look out!

2. The Dunlop Medicine Bottle Slide. I used to play with a straight glass slide, but the lip on the medicine bottle slide gives me oodles more control.

3. Buzz Feiten Tuning System -- My Tom Anderson Drop Top T came with it and WOW! I am a lead player primarily, but as the second guitar player I play a lot of texture instead of rhythm and that means lots on inversions all over the neck. This is truly a remarkable product. Although I would recommend a BFTS-equipped tuner because it's a pain to tune them otherwise.

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. the Fernandes Sustainer

That's my favorite gadget!

I don't have a Fernandes guitar with sustainer anymore, I have the original and very similar Sustainiac sustainer in a Yamaha AES 420.

Surprisingly, the Fernandes version was actually better IMO.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

LOL! I hardly ever use my electronic tuners. If I were playing out I'd use the pedal tuner more, but mostly I tune by ear including my reference. My days are fun, Geoff. :D

My favorite guitar related gadgets?

My Lute Hole, I suppose. Doesn't "do" much, but boy it sure does make my life easier and my instrument better looking. :thu:

I have a turbo winder but it's largely wasted on me. I string up with few winds per post so I don't spin the tuners much. The turbo winder works like a standard winder with the manual handle attached. Remove the handle and it's a hex stalk suitable for use with a power driver or drill for quick tune-ups.

One of my personal favorite gadgets is a guitar shaped piece of aluminum that kinda looks like a bottle opener. Instead, it has two prongs on the bent end for pulling bridge pins. Light and effective. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Headstand-Instrument-Workbench-Stand?sku=425311

and

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Pro-String-WinderCutter?sku=360253

The workbench stand is a must if you do any work (including restringing) to your guitars. Best $10 I've spent on my guitars in a long time.

I've never been one to use a string winder till I used this one. It fits firmly over the tuner button, making it much easier to use. But the string cutter is the main reason, it rocks.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I'll second the motion on the little tripod stand noted by Greg B.

I also like my clamp-on tuner by Tune Tech (or some similar catchy name) since it allows me to tune with a room full of people playing. I'm sure pedal tuners do the same thing but since I don't have one of those .... I like the clamp-on tuner.

I like my Planet Waves string winders, (plural, i have one for my bass and one for my 6-strings) they have a huge grip, and the string-strecher is a godsend for me, because i play huge strings. I also have those spring-loaded pick holders on my Strat and my Bass. My favorite gadget though, if it counts, is my footswitch. It didn't come with the amp, but it was the best 50 bucks i ever spent on my guitar.
I go to the site, see "NEW FOR 2008" I'm all "OH GOODY!" and i click it and it's all "ALL NEW AMERICAN STANDARD SERIES!" and I'm like..."what?"

Sorry, joke's as obscure as it is unfunny.

Oh, you meant HER, right?

http://www.kidzworld.com/img/upload/article/26200/a10023i0_gadgetgang250.gif

I suppose my faves are my feedback buster and... "L" leads because I always have my input jacks in the strap button and with normal leads, I can't stand the guitar up on the floor or even put it on most stands.

Oh! I forgot to mention my two Ultimate Support stands!

First, the Genesis 100 hanging guitar stand. Holds virtually any guitar (Hey! It holds my Kramer Voyager! :eek: ) is lightweight yet strong and folds and locks into a tiny package.

Then there's the Genesis amp stand. Again, it folds to a tiny package but holds my Fender Power Chorus (size of a twin and heavy, too) solidly at one of three angles. Really sturdy and low center of gravity plus I can mount a mic boom or gooseneck to mic the amp without need of a separate mic stand.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm not really even sure what this gadget is. It looks to be some sort of vibrato that clamps onto the strings behind the bridge. Looks like it wouldn't work too well but I though it was cool.

Anybody have any ideas? Ever seen one?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/bsd1965/vibrato2.jpg

That looks like it could be a prototype "Thigh Master".... ;)

LOL! It does look like some type of exercise equipment! Alright, so the the gigantic pic makes this look even funnier than it does in real life. I'll try to post a pic of it with some size reference tomorrow. It is definitely a guitar gadget though.

Archived