Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

Geoff, I guess this means the end of 'Spygate'. Which is just the comish wants, and Sen. Arlen Specter doesn't.. Oh well.

I don't think Arlen Spector is satisfied yet, and Matt Walsh did send the NFL eight videotapes of the Patriots recording playcalling signals. He also confirmed that he was expected to keep his taping of those signals a secret, which seems to undermine Bill Belichick's earlier claims that he thought such taping was within league rules.

On the other hand, Roger Goodell said he met with more than 50 other people; and he couldn't find any confirmation of allegations that the Patriots taped the Rams' final walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl. Unless someone surfaces with damning evidence, the worst Spygate accusation will be cleared.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the things I read that Steelers players said about the 2004 AFC Championship game was that Patriot defensive players were calling what plays the Steelers were going to run before the ball was snapped. "It was as if they had our playbook" one player stated. The tapes that Walsh gave to the NFL had several games with the Steelers on them, including the AFC Champion games.

That said, my Steelers got their clocks cleaned by the Patriots. AFAIK it is not illegal for anyone on the side lines to watch the hand signals of defensive coaches and make notes of them and what plays followed the signals. The usefulness of the videos over keeping notes is obvious, but the usefulness of knowing hand signals and what plays they represent is another matter. Teams routinely change their hand signals and often times have more than one person doing hand signals at the same time. So, which one is the right one?

I'm not crediting the video taping the Patriots did against my Steelers for their wins, the Patriots were clearly the better team. Its really too bad that some people will tarnish the Patriots achievements because of the Spygate thing. All the videos in the world didn't help them beat the Giants in the last SB, so it couldn't have been much of a factor.

Arlen Spector is from my state, I wish he would concentrate of things other than football and go away.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Well, we're just a couple of weeks past the midway point between the Super Bowl (Sunday, February 3rd) and the first exhibition game (Sunday, August 3rd). If the season were underway, we'd be getting psyched up for a full day of football today...

*Sigh*

Best,

Geoff

Here's a preview...

Sunday, August 03

IND @ WAS

Thursday, August 07

NYG @ DET

NYJ @ CLE

BAL @ NE

KC @ CHI

NO @ ARI

Friday, August 08

PHI @ PIT

SEA @ MIN

SF @ OAK

Saturday, August 09

BUF @ WAS

ATL @ JAC

IND @ CAR

TB @ MIA

STL @ TEN

DEN @ HOU

DAL @ SD

Monday, August 11

CIN @ GB

Best,

Geoff

Here's a preview...

Sunday, August 03

IND @ WAS

Thursday, August 07

NYG @ DET

NYJ @ CLE

BAL @ NE

KC @ CHI

NO @ ARI

Friday, August 08

PHI @ PIT

SEA @ MIN

SF @ OAK

Saturday, August 09

BUF @ WAS

ATL @ JAC

IND @ CAR

TB @ MIA

STL @ TEN

DEN @ HOU

DAL @ SD

Monday, August 11

CIN @ GB

Best,

Geoff

Excellent Geoff its never to early to start thinking about the upcoming NFL season! :thu:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

One of the things I read that Steelers players said about the 2004 AFC Championship game was that Patriot defensive players were calling what plays the Steelers were going to run before the ball was snapped. "It was as if they had our playbook" one player stated. The tapes that Walsh gave to the NFL had several games with the Steelers on them, including the AFC Champion games.

Mike T.

Defensive signals.

The Patriots were taping DEFENSIVE signals.

(Which was and still is legal, by the way - just not from the sideline)

So unless the Steelers defensive coaches signaled in the offensive plays for the future playoff during some other game EARLIER IN THE SEASON, the Steeler's offensive players are either hallucinating or fishing for an excuse.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Here are some very interesting tidbits that I was told by my friend who works for the Cardinals after the NFL meetings. PEOPLE IN THE LOS ANGELES AREA PAY ATTENTION:

The Jaguars and Rams are both for sale. Did you know this? The NFL has also become involved and said if anyone buys either team and wants to move them, the only place they can move either to is Los Angeles. The LA Jaguars? The LA Rams? Somehow the LA Rams sounds familiar to me. :D

Why do I mention this? The NFL wants a team in Los Angeles and they are pulling out the red carpet for any owners willing to buy a team and move them to LA. Will be interested to see how this unfolds.

- Rush

Actually, the letter of the rule says it's not - you cannot tape signals from any place that team personnel have access to, and that includes the stands.

emphasis added -

"Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

Pretty much no grey area there...

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Actually, the letter of the rule says it's not - you cannot tape signals from any place that team personnel have access to, and that includes the stands.

emphasis added -

"Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

Pretty much no grey area there...

TONS of grey area.

There are designated areas for filming. Teams film games. Every game. The way you are interpreting the above rule all of this would be illegal. Taping is against the rules in the areas mentioned, and areas "accessible to the club staff members during the game" The areas that teams - all teams - every single game, without exception- film from, are not accessible during the game. There is nothing in this rule dictating what can or can't be filmed from designated and allowable filming areas.

The Patriots just filmed the signals from the sidelines. Had they done it from elsewhere there would have been no infraction.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Here are some very interesting tidbits that I was told by my friend who works for the Cardinals after the NFL meetings. PEOPLE IN THE LOS ANGELES AREA PAY ATTENTION:

The Jaguars and Rams are both for sale. Did you know this? The NFL has also become involved and said if anyone buys either team and wants to move them, the only place they can move either to is Los Angeles. The LA Jaguars? The LA Rams? Somehow the LA Rams sounds familiar to me. :D

Why do I mention this? The NFL wants a team in Los Angeles and they are pulling out the red carpet for any owners willing to buy a team and move them to LA. Will be interested to see how this unfolds.

Wow! Thanks for the inside information, Silver Dragon Sound!

Having the Rams back with a different owner would be a dream come true. I'll have to temper my excitement as any number of things could happen, but that's great news!

Best,

Geoff

TONS of grey area.

Dude, there is no grey anywhere. You can't directly tape a teams signals. That's it! And if you do it anyway then Roger Goodell's gonna....well he's absolutely going to....er...

Not do much. :sick:

TROLL . . . ish.

TONS of grey area.

Dude, there is no grey anywhere. You can't directly tape a teams signals. That's it!

There is no rule against taping another teams signals.

You are restricted in terms of the location you do it from, and you can't use them during the game. Not only is it not expressly forbidden, but in fact, if you read the rule quoted by Kanker above, it is very much implied that it is legal other than from the areas described. If it is illegal everywhere, why specifically state locations that it is illegal, and leave out others.

If you see a sign that says "No Parking on Sundays", it pretty much means you can park there on other days...

Quote by Beethree:

"Defensive signals.

The Patriots were taping DEFENSIVE signals.

So unless the Steelers defensive coaches signaled in the offensive plays for the future playoff during some other game EARLIER IN THE SEASON, the Steeler's offensive players are either hallucinating or fishing for an excuse."

Yeah, the Patriots were accused of taping defense signs during the Jets game last year when they got busted. However, the Patriots often times taped the entire game didn't they? Who's to say that they couldn't get a handle on tendencies the Steelers had by watching the offensive plays.

Personally, I'm not buying into any excuses for the Steelers losing because of any cheating the Patriots might have done. They had a better team than we did, so they won.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yeah, the Patriots were accused of taping defense signs during the Jets game last year when they got busted. However, the Patriots often times taped the entire game didn't they? Who's to say that they couldn't get a handle on tendencies the Steelers had by watching the offensive plays.

So you're saying that the Patriots diabolically planned their strategy by watching films of previous games.

I think there's a word for that: Scouting. :wave:

Every team tapes every game.

From that very article:

Footnote: In Friday's Washington Post, NFL reporter Mark Maske quotes former Giants quarterback Phil Simms contending that stolen signals are no guarantee of victory: "'I've been in games where we knew every signal, every call by the other team, and we still lost,' Simms said by telephone yesterday. 'We [the Giants] had the San Diego Chargers' signals in 1980. We knew every signal. We knew every play. We were calling out what they were going to do: 'Here comes this. Here comes that.' They still scored 44 points.'"

Nuff said. Let it go.

Ok, so no takers on Odem I guess.. Now it seems Jason Taylor has requested a trade. Would it be worth it to go after him?? He has Jim Brown dreams of hollywood stardom, so maybe he'll play a year at most it that pans out.

Taylor never showing up to Dolphins camp

Any takers here?

If only there was a team in LA. :idea:

- Rush

• 2 weeks later...

Archived