Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: 32bit/64bit and memory restrictions

zephonic

I am a bit confused about it all. I read that OSX is 64-bit ready but not actually 64-bit? And that current DAW's are not yet 64-bit either? And that 32-bit architecture can only address 3 GB of RAM so there's no point in getting like 8 GB since the apps will not take advantage of the extra memory?

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you put 4 Gig of memory in a PC running 32 bit versions of Windoes XP or Vista you will only see 3.5 Gig of memory. Vista 64 will address more. Sonar 7 has a 64 bit version and it will utilize more than 4 gig of memory as well as running faster than the 32 bit version.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

If you max out the RAM in your system, it allows different applications to address more RAM than. Even if an app is only capable of addressing a limited amount of RAM, other apps and the OS can have their own slice of the RAM pie beyond that, and that will improve your systems performance. OSX 10.5 is 64 bit from what I understand, but runs 32 bit apps seamlessly.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Tom should be along to address this issue shortly....

:D

I'm not a Mac guy.

But I'm sticking with 2 Gig in my PC for now. My new graphics card has 512MB RAM (SCHWEET). It rocks. :thu:

So that takes up much of that memory-map.

I could probably add another gig, but 2 Gig seems to be a sweet spot (SCHWEETSPOT). :rolleyes:

OTOH, ask me about audio interfaces. I stayed up all weekend drinking sweet iced-tea and reading everything I could about audio interfaces.

Have I seemed kinda grumpy lately? :sick:

Don't answer that.

:snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Man, I wish there was someone I could ask about audio interfaces around here...I have my Macbook and was trying to expand my options from my little M-audio firewire 410, because I'd like to be able to record more than 2 channels at a time. I wonder what a good option would be....

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I've been told the Focusrite Sapphire is good stuff. Anyone else?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have the Saffire. It's okay, not great, but it does the job. I'm satisfied, though the bundled saffire plug-ins don't work under Cubase (aaargh).

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Oops you're right. It is spelled Saffire.

Is it just the Cubase issue that is a problem or do you have other issues?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived