Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio Technica AT4033 vs. Oktava MC012

Hey all, I'm a mic novice, but I would like to buy a unit that will cover the most ground. Specifically, I need something for: 1) Vocals / Synth vocoding 2) Acoustic guitar 3) Bass guitar (the strings - not the amp cabinet) 4) Crazy sounds around the house (sound effects / sampling) I know the Oktava and AT differ in that one is a large diaphragm condenser and the other is a small diaphragm, but I don't know where to go from there. I can't touch an AT for less than $300, then there is the cost of a stand & boom, a pop filter, and a high quality cable. I could probably get an Oktava with multiple capsules for $200. So what do you think best fits my needs? On a related note, how about the Oktava MK319 large dia condenser? I don't hear much about this mic. The Rode NTK is more than I want to spend. [b]And BTW, which AT is the right mic?[/b] They offer the SE and the SM. I can't seem to tell the difference. Wiggum

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well...if you want to keep it at $200...then look at the AT3035. It's available for $200 and though I haven't tried it myself...all the reviews are extreamly favorable,...a nice do-it-all, large diaphragm condenser. http://www.audiotechnica.com/prodpro/profiles/AT3035.html

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I have 3 of the mc012's and i think they are great.! I have one omni capsule and 3 cardiod capsules. You can get these mics at guitar center for $150ish and i think you have to go to the sound room for seperate heads and for matched pairs (basically more quality contol and testing). I also tried out the large diaphram head that goes on the mco12 called the m3. But i didn't like it and it was expensive. I bought a Studio projects C3 multipattern for the same price as the M3 head and it sounds way better IMO. The mc o12 is a very nice mic for acoustic guitars, lots of detail and very smooth. As an omni room mic it is more detailed in the lows and mids than my large diaphram C3(macmidimusic $349) in omni but not as bright on the top. The 012 sounds pretty great for vocals too but really needs a wind screen. I find it brings out low mids quite well (400-800hz). The top end is not too hyped though. But if you can spend the extra couple hundred bucks... get the NTK!(sound chaser is cheapest i think $479)

[quote]Originally posted by halljams: [b]I have 3 of the mc012's and i think they are great.! I have one omni capsule and 3 cardiod capsules. You can get these mics at guitar center for $150ish and i think you have to go to the sound room for seperate heads and for matched pairs (basically more quality contol and testing).[/b] Actually, matched sets (cardioid capsules only) are now available through Gtr Ctr for as low as $200. But Taylor's quality control over at the Sound Room IS better. But you'll pay for it. You can get the same quality at GC if you're lucky / careful, or you can get a dog... [b]I also tried out the large diaphram head that goes on the mco12 called the m3. But i didn't like it and it was expensive. [/b] Hmmmm.... what specifically did you think of the M3? What did it sound like tonally to you? I actually have one and I like it a lot. I got mine directly from Russia though... where did you hear one? I didn't think anyone other than Taylor sold them Stateside. [b]I bought a Studio projects C3 multipattern for the same price as the M3 head and it sounds way better IMO. The mc o12 is a very nice mic for acoustic guitars, lots of detail and very smooth. As an omni room mic it is more detailed in the lows and mids than my large diaphram C3(macmidimusic $349) in omni but not as bright on the top.[/b] I totally agree with this. Oktava MC012's are NOT your hyped high end (frequency) type mic. They're not over-bright. And I'd agree with the comments regarding tone and use them in these same applications frequently. [b]The 012 sounds pretty great for vocals too but really needs a wind screen. I find it brings out low mids quite well (400-800hz). The top end is not too hyped though.[/b] They'll make an acceptable vocal mic, but not ideal IMO. As always, it depends on the vocalist. [b]But if you can spend the extra couple hundred bucks... get the NTK!(sound chaser is cheapest i think $479)[/b] These are incredibly good mics - not just "for the money" but they are just flat out a very nice sounding mic that is built like a brick and sounds much more expensive thaqn you'd think based on the price tag. I love mine, and I have some VERY expensive mics to directly compare it to. I was actually going to suggest you consider checking out the Rode NT1000 instead of the A/T. This may prove to be an even better choice than the MC012, but will certainly cost more than the Oktava... but should be in the same price range as the A/T. This would usually be better for vocals than the Oktava and probably just as flexible everywhere else. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html pokeefe777@msn.com [/quote]

Hey Phil, regarding the M3 head; i actually bought one from Taylor and sent it back. I had hoped to use it for a vocal mic. I found that it sounded rather hard and lifeless with a certain overwelming annoying mid thing. Almost like sound was trying to get through but being blocked some how. Imagine plugging your ears and listening to a sound and then apply that feeling to a frequency range of about 600hz-2k.Maby narrower than that but that's what bugged me about it. Mostly, it's hard unforgiving sound just wasn't pleasing. I'm thrilled with the C3, which like i said was actually cheaper and has a roll off and multi pattern positioning. :p

Archived