Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What does Moog have up their sleeves?

synthdogg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still think that it's ok to lose the touch screen & other less important digital stuff. but give up patch memory? this seems too much. if someone is that "vintage hardcore" - he should get the Macbeth. even the little phatty has a patch memory of 100 patches. is this really the component that makes the voyager so expensive? even a simple patch memory without lcd display would do just fine. just so you can see the number of the patch.
Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

I still think that it's ok to lose the touch screen & other less important digital stuff. but give up patch memory? this seems too much...

Probably its easy to implement. Just leave out the digital board.

I have plenty of synths with patch memory but might get one of these despite that lack ;)

why luxury??!? didn't the prophet 5 have memory (for 120 patches, if i recall correct)? each time you want to change the sound, you have to start programming it live on stage (just like the old days). then - it was what it was because the technology wasn't there yet. today - it's just plain stupid. very difficult to handle when playing live on stage.

Yeah, patch memory is nice, but really, for an old school synth, you're talking luxury. These things will sell, definitely. Patch memory's for amateurs....

Oh yeah, I'm sure the rest of the band & audience will appreciate the lag when you're sitting there dialing up the next screamer.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

The regular Voyager would probably be a better choice for a live gig.

I'm thinking the Voyager OS will find a happy home in many studios. Its also appealing as the core of a CV-based modular setup like a Dotcom or semi-modular with the addition of lots of Moogerfoogers. :D

If you want one of these with MIDI and patch memory, well, its already out ;)

Yeah, patch memory is nice, but really, for an old school synth, you're talking luxury. These things will sell, definitely. Patch memory's for amateurs....

Oh yeah, I'm sure the rest of the band & audience will appreciate the lag when you're sitting there dialing up the next screamer.

If you know what you're doing, it really doesn't take that long.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Your LP has patch memory doesn't it?

each time you want to change the sound, you have to start programming it live on stage (just like the old days). then - it was what it was because the technology wasn't there yet. today - it's just plain stupid. very difficult to handle when playing live on stage.

It's not stupid at all.

For an analog synth to have patch memory, the microprocessor has to be able to control each parameter. That means that every time you turn a knob, you're not controlling an analog circuit directly. You're inputting data into the onboard computer, and the computer is controlling the analog circuits.

If you leave out the patch memory, you can have a pure analog synthesizer. Knobs and CV inputs can control analog circuits directly. I'm not sure whether the Voyager OS uses this "pure analog" concept (i.e. no microprocessor between the player and the circuits), but the design is possible.

Guitarists change their patches between songs with knobs and switches. Keyboard players can, also. You have to be disciplined and write things down. You also have to be quick and accurate. You may not set things exactly the same way each time you recall a patch, but that opens up new possibilities.

If you're creating complex patches with MoogerFoogers, you can't store those settings anyway. On the other hand, there's nothing like the immediacy of a single-function knob to unleash a player's creativity.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

For an analog synth to have patch memory, the microprocessor has to be able to control each parameter. That means that every time you turn a knob, you're not controlling an analog circuit directly. You're inputting data into the onboard computer, and the computer is controlling the analog circuits.

If you leave out the patch memory, you can have a pure analog synthesizer. Knobs and CV inputs can control analog circuits directly. I'm not sure whether the Voyager OS uses this "pure analog" concept (i.e. no microprocessor between the player and the circuits), but the design is possible.

it's the same issue as with what's a DCO vs VCO. A DCO is analog, only the digital clock is telling it how to behave over time. the same goes for the knobs. if the knobs are telling the computer what command he should send to the analog components - it doesn't effect the sound. it's not like taking the analog sound and converting it to digital. i see no connection what-so ever.

being a purist is fine - but what you're asking for is just too much. you're taking it to the point where it changes from purist - to absurd. now, if you're after a vintage synth, that's a whole different story. but when designing a new analog synth, it doesn't make sense.

it's the same issue as with what's a DCO vs VCO. A DCO is analog, only the digital clock is telling it how to behave over time. the same goes for the knobs. if the knobs are telling the computer what command he should send to the analog components - it doesn't effect the sound. it's not like taking the analog sound and converting it to digital. i see no connection what-so ever.

being a purist is fine - but what you're asking for is just too much. you're taking it to the point where it changes from purist - to absurd. now, if you're after a vintage synth, that's a whole different story. but when designing a new analog synth, it doesn't make sense.

....but it's NOT really a new analog synth. It's a cut down version of an existing synth. If you want patch memory...cool. It's there in the standard Voyager. This is obviously catering to a different crowd, and I think it will do quite well....especially for the studio dwellers (who still actually PLAY their instruments). This really is a great design for those people who create new sounds for each track they're working on, and record live to "tape" without sequencing parts. there are more people working this way these days than you may realize!

When we play a gig, we go from song to song, with very little "dead air" in between. Much as I love the original Model D, a patch memory-free design just won't work for me as a live instrument.

Or how about - "ooops! I lost the patch sheet....we can't play that one"

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

this will suit me very well.

a spiritual brother to my pro-one.

the little phatty's not immediate enough - not enough knobs.

the voyager's way too expensive for me.

and i'd never use the touchpad after the first week.

and i'd never use the memories, as i never play live these days and value dynamic sound creation over easy patch retrieval.

it's an ideal companion to my modular set up.

just a bit downcast that it doesn't come fitted with all the cv ins & outs. but that's a minor point for me.

sold. :thu:

Yeah, but had the option existed, I might have gone with this new one.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Yeah, but had the option existed, I might have gone with this new one.

That's what I thought you'd say... ;)

Most of us aren't Keith Emerson :-). It always amazed me how quickly he could dial up ultra-sensitive patches on the fly, with no lag time -- including patches that were extremely time-sensitive in their syncing (whether hard-sync or portamento).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

it's the same issue as with what's a DCO vs VCO. A DCO is analog, only the digital clock is telling it how to behave over time. the same goes for the knobs. if the knobs are telling the computer what command he should send to the analog components - it doesn't effect the sound.

There's a great deal of difference between analog control and digital control. Analog is more unpredictable. You're never sure how circuits will react when patched in new ways, plus temperature and other environmental factors may influence those control voltages.

Digital does only what it has been instructed to do and doesn't vary from note to note. Depending on the details of a particular patch, this could have no effect on the sound or it could have a great effect.

Absurd? Don't you think that's a little harsh? It has already been explained to you by other posters that you can buy a fully programmable version of this synth TODAY. No waiting! No vaporware! Just call your dealer and order one.

The "Old School" is a stripped-down-to-fundamentals version of that same synth. It's not "absurd." It's a product that will appeal to some people (budget-minded synthesists, studio-oriented knob twiddlers, serious modular patchers, daring stage synthesists) and not to others (people who need quick access to a large number of stored patches).

Why can't you accept that a product that doesnt' fit YOUR needs might fit somebody else's needs? If you have a dream synth, discuss it's features here. Maybe some engineers will read your posts and incorporate some of your ideas in their designs. That might be a better use of your time than bashing newly announced products that you haven't even auditioned.

Old timers go "yeah!"

Youngsters panic!

I've heard that there are old-timers who actually shift their own gears and focus camera lenses by hand.

But that's probably just an urban legend.

:D

Most of us aren't Keith Emerson :-). It always amazed me how quickly he could dial up ultra-sensitive patches on the fly, with no lag time -- including patches that were extremely time-sensitive in their syncing (whether hard-sync or portamento).

Even Keith had a LOT of difficulty getting what he wanted when he wanted it. I have some recordings from the Trilogy tour. Keith would get stuck with some awful rinky dink sounds and try to make the best of it.

He started touring with a couple of mini-moogs (same with Wakeman) in order to have dedicated patches ready to go.

----------

Ok - so Moog went old-school. Some will buy, some won't. Have they answered my prayers? Not really, but it is a risky move in the midst of a retail-recession.

---------

I'll stick with the MEK.

Archived