Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bud Powell Jazz licks

fb000

I've been searching the internet for some resource on jazz licks in the style of Bud Powell's intro to Body and Soul

I looking for a specific type of jazz licks thaat sound bluesy or out of key even..unfortunately I don't know the proper language or terminology.

I'm looking for some midi files and lead sheets. I have found sites and midis for jazz but can't find resources covering these specific style of runs.

Any sites books or other reccomendations may help.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a book of Powell transcriptions and it includes Body and Soul. It's for sale and many libraries have it. A number of his compositions are in the Real Book Vol 2 and are a good source for his melodic shapes, especially "Hallucinations" and "Parisian Thoroughfare". He was not very bluesy, he was classic bebop.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

2 Hal Leonard transcription books. I own both of them and they are excellent. I have ripped many licks out of Bud's solos and integrated them into my vocabulary in a serious way. Get these books man, you need not look further.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Forgive me when I say this, as I am currently in music school and having it bashed into my head all the time, but you could just, y'know, transcribe them off the record yourself?

Yeah it's tough, but you get better at it the more you do it. First solo I transcribed (some Ray Bryant) must have taken me like, 6 hours...but then the next one only took me 4 hours, then 3 hours, 2 hours...etc

I just finished transcribing Bouncing with Bud (Line and Solo)and learned to play it. It took 'awhile'(part time) as it's part of a weekly music lesson (bebop) I've been taking for many years now.

Traditionally singing with the solo first is recommended. Ideally having the ability to half speed or sometimes 1/4 speed the material is necessary. I use the Amazing Slowdowner software to slow the material down, I had used a tape machine I had that ran at 1/2 speed previously. Singing it first at half or 1/4 speed will help internalize the material, than begin to break it down listening to it at the slower speeds to get the notes and rhythms to notate, than approach playing it. It's a slow process but learning it this way really has a tendency of making it "stick to your ribs" and making it part of you and I would venture to say has been the traditional approch for many many years in jazz. But you could just read it too from a pre-written transcription! Whatever works or your in the mood for!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived