Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Power Conditioners again

JohnH

We have two clubs we play that have awful, less than 120volt power. My modules dont sound good, my guitar tone changes and it totally sucks! I know this has been discussed on here before but would like to see it again. Is it worth getting a power conditioner, or do you have to spend at least 500 bucks to get a good one. I did a search but nothing came up. Ok let the debate begin. Thank you.

John

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also own the Furman Power Factor Pro Rack and it's been great. As Moe suggests, it's hard to tell if it's doing any real "conditioning," but hey, it provides nine electrical inputs, gives me the piece of mind that comes from having a quality surge protector on my gear, and it looks dang pretty in the rack! ;):thu:

That said, that particular model is not a voltage regulator, and the problem that you describe really calls out for that type of solution (if you believe in all this stuff to begin with). It seems to me that what you want is something that takes the insufficient incoming voltage in the two clubs you describe and delivers a constant stream of 120 volts of power. For that, you'll need something other than the PF Pro Rack (for example, the Furman AR-15 or the Furman AR-1215, which at $650 and $550 retail, respectively, are pricey pieces of equipment).

Noah

Bring your own generator or find different clubs to play.

If they don't care enough about their performers to provide adequate power, then they're certainly not going to pay you enough to compensate for their power problems by purchasing an expensive voltage regulator.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

You need a LINE CONDITIONER. I've been using Tripplite stuff for 15 years. I have a few of these rack units LCR24oo ($500)

and a few of these blocks (cheaper)LC1200 ($172 list).

They will provide a steady 120v as long as they're getting anywhere from 87-147 volts. Never had problems using them. Great stuff.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived