Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So, whadja get? Huh? Huh?

Jode

My wife got me three LPs - new ones that must be reissues. Taj Mahal, T.Rex, and the Meters (Fire On The Bayou - yeah!). And her aunt dropped a - gulp - Wii on us!

Santa was good to me. How about you?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Along w/Bump I bought myself a Christmas present too. A new Ampeg SVT-410HLF which rawks.

I got a bunch of new clothes that I desperately needed.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

To go with my new upright...

An Ingles Stand. It is pretty cool and keeps the bass off of the wall & the endpin off the floor.

Edgar Meyer & Bela Fleck, Music for Two CD + DVD

Edgar Meyer, Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites: Performed on Double Bass

Non-bass related stuff would be some gun related items, a Kitchenaid Heavy Duty Stand Mixer, a sweater and some tools.

My band's rhythm guitar/arranger gave me the CD "King Biscuit Boy with Crowbar". For the non-blues heads in the crowd: Richard Newell AKA King Biscuit Boy was a blues musican from Canada. His stage name is taken from the King Biscuit Time blues radio program.

According to Wikipedea:

King Biscuit Time, broadcast each weekday from KFFA in Helena, Arkansas, is one of the longest-running daily American radio broadcasts in history and the most famous live blues radio program. The first broadcast of King Biscuit Time was on 21 November 1941 on KFFA in Helena, and featured the African-American "blues" artists Sonny Boy Williamson II (Rice Miller) and Robert Lockwood, Jr.

I have been playing/practicing "Biscuit's Boogie" and "Hoy Hoy Hoy" since I received the cd. They are fun songs with cool bass lines. At rehearsal tonight I am nominated them to be added to our set list. They should be available on the ITunes music store if you would like to listen to excerpts of them.

Bass, the final frontier...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

I got a 5-string set of D'Addario Chromes. All I wanted, all I asked for. My wife and I decided to sharply curtail our Christmas gift spending, and focus on the more intangible aspects of Christmas instead. It was a very nice Christmas for that reason!

I got a Creative Zen Nano Plus MP3 player -- kind of a pain in the butt to set up, but working fine now. Nice features -- direct CD recording, voice recorder, FM tuner.

I also got CDs:

Pillar -- Where Do We Go From Here

Alterbridge -- Blackbird

King's X -- Live All Over The Place

And I got the Clapton autobiography.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Hey Picker, I got the flu too :( Been coughing my lungs out all week ... Worst part is I seem to have passed it on to my family, as well as my girlfriend's family.

I got:

Beirut - The Flying Club Cup

Paul Simon - The Essential Paul Simon (with dvd)

Laïs - The Ladies' Second Song (Belgian folk trio)

Battlestar Galactica - Season 1 + miniseries

And a huge 1.5 litre bottle of Karmeliet Tripel to drink while listening to those cd's and watching TV :grin:

The best part, though, was that my sister invited this Canadian friend of hers, and the friend's friend, to come spend Christmas with us. I was reluctant at first but they both turned out to be really nice and entertaining girls, and I think I may have two more friends now :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Hmmm... seems like the flu was a cheap gift nowadays, since I also got it.. just recently have the gift of my voice again (Had to spend a couple weeks without doing my weekly radio show, nor even thinking of singing backup vocals as I often do)...

I think Santa got drunk or something... I am still awaiting a couple fishies I bought for myself about a month and a half ago... customs is acting reeeeeal slow around here... :(

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Got a shiny blue bass and amp from my wife and son (this is my first post btw)... it's been 20 long years since I've played... took me about 5 minutes to remember how to tune a bass by ear... is taking longer to remember how to play something interesting... hehehehe but it will come...

Mostly just clothes as far as the rest of Xmas goes... it's my birthday in three days... and I know I'm getting Guitar Hero III for the Wii... woohoo...

L8r,

Moose

No Bass gear, but I now have the Kino - Picture album. My brother and I went halves on a Zoom H2 for my Dad.

Next year I think one of my resolutions is to learn a lot more about chordal structure within a tune and how it fits with melody. I think everything I need for that is either; on the inter-web, in books I already have, or in my head.

The 2x10's I want are too much for anyone to present me with.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Moose, welcome to the forum!

Let's see...I got a MusicMan Sub5 that, as it turns out was the last one to come off the assembly line over is San Luis Obispo, Ca. I also got a nice new MusicMan hard case for it as well as strap locks, a new black strap with metal rivets (rawkish) and a visual volume pedal. All that and the earlier gift of the SVT 4 Pro and Hartke 4200Pro. Above all that, though I have a family that dearly loves me, a roof over my head, two paid off vehicles, and a God who sent his Son to die for my sins. I cannot remember when I have been so very blessed in celebrating Christ's birthday!

Love God...Love People!

I am still awaiting a couple fishies I bought for myself about a month and a half ago... customs is acting reeeeeal slow around here... :(

They are only acting reel slow because you keep talking about fish on the net. That sort of line will just sink anyone.

This year's booty:

Donny Hathaway Live

A couple of The Brand New Heavies discs

Blood Sweat and Tears two disc 'best of' set (Ugly fellows, all of them....)

A dutch oven

a set of those expensive cold weather work out clothes

and a pair of fleece lined jeans, 'cause I'm very, very cold blooded.

That book of Sting's lyrics.

And a new blue tie that I won't wear anywhere.

Why does my father give me an ugly tie every year????

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

And a new blue tie that I won't wear anywhere.

Why does my father give me an ugly tie every year????

I wish my parents would indulge me on that matter. I love ties, I have a small collection of 'em, some fugly, some funny and some serious (gotta wear some to work, you know).

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

From me-

M.K. Fretless Dragonfly 5

Ibanez A/E exotic wood guitar

From others-

Dell laptop and tons of music from my girlfriend

Things I will never wear from my folks

Cash from a couple of my clients

Lowes gift cards from people who really know what I like

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

From wife: Permission to spend money re-building my P-style.

(Earlier) from wife: G-K 1001RB head.

From gutar-playing son: MP3 player and book on learning slap/pop style.

From drummer son: Bottle of top-shelf bourbon.

From daughter: New grandbaby.

From two oldest sons: Not even a phone call!

My band's rhythm guitar/arranger gave me the CD "King Biscuit Boy with Crowbar". For the non-blues heads in the crowd: Richard Newell AKA King Biscuit Boy was a blues musican from Canada. His stage name is taken from the King Biscuit Time blues radio program.

I have been playing/practicing "Biscuit's Boogie" and "Hoy Hoy Hoy" since I received the cd. They are fun songs with cool bass lines. At rehearsal tonight I am nominated them to be added to our set list. They should be available on the ITunes music store if you would like to listen to excerpts of them.

"I dreamed of heaven and saw my baby tonight"...

Richard Newell has been around for awhile and I like his version of Hoy Hoy Hoy. Joe, if you can manage that song for 5 or 6 minutes you're really moving. Nice CD, good raw energy.

BTW, I got a t-shirt that says, "I make my own stink bait". :/

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

...if you can manage that song for 5 or 6 minutes you're really moving. Nice CD, good raw energy.

BTW, I got a t-shirt that says, "I make my own stink bait". :/

I'm using "Hoy Hoy Hoy" as a benchmark of my walking bass lines. To me it sounds like a classic upright bass walking line. When I can play that one successfully I'll fell confident that I can mimic an old style upright bass on my fretless.

"Bisquit's Boogie" is my workout benchmark. It moves so fast with a bass line who's pattern is based on the second and forth fingers on the fretting hand that it's a great workout. I sat down a few days ago and played it through about 5 times (it's a 10 minute song). It was a good workout as I rehabilitate my fretting hand from surgery a month ago.

Bass, the final frontier...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

Archived