Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's aftertouch?

mullin

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Wikipedia:

After touch : A feature brought in in the late 1980s, whereby dynamics are added after the key is hit, allowing the sound to fade away, or return, based upon the amount of pressure applied to the keyboard. After-touch is found on many synthesizers, and is an important modulation source on modern keyboards. After-touch is most prevalent in music of the mid to late 1980s, such as the opening string-pad on Cock Robin's "When Your Heart Is Weak", which is only possible with the use of after-touch (or one hand on the volume control).

Google is your friend.....

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

To be more precise, aftertouch is the physical controller (usually, a strip which runs under the keybed); the wiki definition gives the impression that it's linked to volume control, but it can be used to alter whatever parameter(s) the synth engine allows. Typical destinations are vibrato depth, vibrato speed, filter, resonance, pitch, etc.

For the difference between channel and poly aftertouch, I'll leave it to whoever jumps in first.... :D

From Wikipedia:

After touch : A feature brought in in the late 1980s, whereby dynamics are added after the key is hit, allowing the sound to fade away, or return, based upon the amount of pressure applied to the keyboard. After-touch is found on many synthesizers, and is an important modulation source on modern keyboards. After-touch is most prevalent in music of the mid to late 1980s, such as the opening string-pad on Cock Robin's "When Your Heart Is Weak", which is only possible with the use of after-touch (or one hand on the volume control).

This is really very poorly written. AFAIK the CS80 was the first synth with aftertouch and it was introduced in 1976. The DX7 brought aftertouch to the masses in 1983. How can a feature be "brought in" in the late 1980s but prevalent in music of the mid 1980s. As Carlo pointed out, it is more than volume/dynamics--it can be made to control anything that's controllable. The string-pad could have been controlled by breath controller, volume pedal, mod wheel, etc.

Who/What the hell is "Cock Robin" and should I have known this important piece of music - "When your Heart is Weak?"

BTW, AT is one of my least favorite controllers. I find it crude and unpredictable on 95% of the synths out there.

Busch.

Aftertouch is a broad definition. It can be release velocity, pressure, lateral motion.

The Yamaha GX-1 solo keyboard pivots side to side as a form of aftertouch. You can assign AT to pitch so that the side-to-side motion can impart vibrato.

Pressure sensitive keyboards have a malleable material underneath the keyboard. After you play the note, you can apply downward pressure and exploit this for a variety of modulations. The ARP ProSoloist is one of the early pressure sensitive keyboards which AT could modulate pitch, volume, vibrato amount, filter cutoff, and "growl". Modern MIDI controllers that are pressure sensitive offer either channel AT (AKA monoAT) or the less common key AT (AKA polyAT). MonoAT works for all notes at the same time per single MIDI channel. PolyAT has independent aftertouch per key.

While polyAT is powerful and effective for fading in individual notes in string and choir samples and for varying filter cutoffs per note, it is rarely found on any controller and can generate heavy MIDI traffic. Few controllers implement polyAT predictably, one of the best known examples is the Kurzweil MIDIBoard.

Afterouch can also be expressed in release velocity - IE just as one could assign attack velocity to modulate envelope generator attack time so that harder keystrokes will generate faster attack times, release velocity could modulate release times so that slower upstrokes of keys will generate longer release tails.

MC - In 30 years, I've never, ever heard of release velocity being called a type of aftertouch (although etimologically speaking, it could be). In common MIDI speak, aftertouch it's always the equivalent of pressure.

I have always been curious about aftertouch also and I wonder - besides the 'cock robin' thing which I have also never heard of, are there any great examples of how it being used in a solo or even for playing parts?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

That's GREAT Mate. Thanks! The first time I saw a CS-80 was in the 'Rosanna' Video with Steve Porcaro playing it in an overanimated fashion. Of course they don't show it during the epic solo.

Since then I've wanted one bad.

So bad that 2 nights ago I actually had a dream where I was wandering through an old music store and on consignment they had a 'CS-96' which was a cross between a CS-80 and a Mood Modular with the walnut finish of my A-100. It was being sold for $5,000 I was told. The mind is a twisted thing. Of course when I touched it, I woke up.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

What's aftertouch?

I'm not sure.

I'm thinking that it's a lot like foreplay... but later on.

I'm usually asleep by then. :cool:

:grin:

When you get slap in your face after touch you'll get the idea...

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

From Wikipedia:

This is really very poorly written.

Yeah, I agree. I just copied and pasted that.

It's really LAME, obviously not written by a professional. Oh well.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived