Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif ES8 clicking keys

loxley11

Hi guys,

I started to do a search for this topic, and then I remembered why I don't do searches here anymore - Sheesh!

Anyway, I recently upgraded to an ES 8 and have noticed the keys clicking loudly in the lower registers, as though there was a piece of metal beneath them instead of the pad or felt or whatever is supposed to be there. UPS did a pretty poor job in shipping, so much so that I returned the first when the box arrived completely open and the LCD screen was broken.

The second box arrived closed but in a similar condition, boot prints all over it, covered in mud. Today I pulled a tiny screw out of ES which had been rolling around loose and making noise, so I've no idea what else is wrong. I'd return it too, but Yamaha took so long shipping out their 88-key case that I haven't been able to use the thing (and notice the problem) until now.

Basically, after all that ranting, what I'm asking is, does anyone know if a non-tech like me can open the thing and do a cursory search around to see what the problem is, or am I better off taking it to a tech? And if I can open it up, can it be done without removing every f'ing screw on the board, cuz removing the endplates doesn't work like it does with older boards.

Thanks,

Drew

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've already gone this route before with both the online retailer and UPS, so you sound like you don't want another pissing war and more time wasted on another questionable purchase.

However, you shouldn't touch it. You'd be putting yourself in a position of voiding any warranty or protection you have - especially for future problems with the equipment.

It will be under full warranty from Yamaha, so take it to a repair depot or certified Yamaha tech who can do this under warranty.

Here for the gear.

you want to perform cavity search at home? :freak: :grin:

Seriously though it's not that hard to open keyboard, especially 88 keys. I did it few times when I couldn't find one patch. Just watch out not to break any cables inside, do it slow and carefully. Chances are that you find something loose inside what causes this clicking. And yes UPS is almost as bad as USPS.

p.s

you will not void warranty since there no seals.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Is Mike, our Yamaha guy, still out there to weigh in on this one? He might have a good idea of what I ought or ought not be doing. He could probably even venture a guess as to what's going on in this situation.

thanks,

Drew

-Mike Tyson

I will tell you that you will have to remove every friggin' screw. To change out a broken key on my Motif 6 there close to 100 screws to remove. (like 87 or something) If you do open it be careful not to pull things off fast and make sure you get to the hidden screws. Then make sure you keep each area (of screws) in seperate containers. There are back screws and inside screws and plastic screws ... you get the picture.

There is a tech service in Raliegh called Music Tech but they are not the fastest on the planet. Pm me if you need contact info.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Blueskeys,

Did you go in from the underside or by removing the top? it sounds like keyboards nowadays have to be flipped over and opened from the bottom

regards,

drew

-Mike Tyson

I had this happen to my brand new S90ES. It has the exact same keybed as the ES8.

My problem happened at the factory. They never attached, for lack of a better term, the wire that ran from one end of the keyboard to the other. The lower keys would sometimes PING and it would occasionally happen on the upper registers.

It also negates aftertouch so a great way to see if that may be your problem would be to assign aftertouch to something and see if it works. My bet is it won't.

Definitely TAKE IT IN TO YAMAHA! It wasn't something I could fix on my own and it was taken care of via the warranty. My experience was that Yamaha had great support, but then again I live quite close to a support center so it was no big deal. I think I had it back in a couple days.

It sure is a major pain to haul a massive keyboard in for repair but in the end I was glad I did. I've been problem-free with it for the past two years since the repair and I play very forcefully on the keys.

Good luck with it!

Tommy

Archived