Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's this feature called? Audio Through?

gangsu

Hi - One quick question, and I hope you can understand my non-technical description.

I have two firewire audio interfaces at the moment, and I've been comparing the features of both. My setup here at home is simple: One keyboard; midi-out to the computer, audio-out to the interface; speakers.

One will pass keyboard audio through to the speakers, regardless of whether the computer is on or off. The other will not.

Neither interface mentions this critical difference on the box. At least not in terms that I've understood or noticed.

What should I look for in order to be forewarned in the future? It's really a pain to have to turn the computer on and make sure the interface is in sync (and also enable a real instrument track, but that's beside the point...) before I can play my keyboard!

Thanks! :)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably zero latency monitoring or hardware monitoring.

There is, however, no guarantee that it will be operational without the computer running. Some interfaces have a mechanical switch for the hardware monitoring. This system is more likely to do what you want.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Hey, that helps. Thanks Warren.

I have to conclude that the more expensive the interface, the less likely it is to offer hardware monitoring (without making a big deal out of that extra knob, that is).

Blech.

What are the two interfaces? I'm wondering if me or someone gave a quick scan of the specs of each, we might spot the name of it.

(And as someone who has not purchased a FW interface yet, interested in your experiences with each. :) )

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hey, that helps. Thanks Warren.

I have to conclude that the more expensive the interface, the less likely it is to offer hardware monitoring (without making a big deal out of that extra knob, that is).

Blech.

Not necessarily, it's just that Apogee decided to put all of the significant signal controls in software instead of hardware. Lots of higher end interfaces can be used as standalone mixers, Apogee and Apple just decided to put the bulk of the control of the Duet, the Ensemble, and the Symphony in software.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Hey Joe. The "culprit" here is the Duet. It's perfect for the guy with a laptop, headphones and a controller keyboard, whose primary interest is in recording.

Once you get into other audio sources (and dealing with that funky ponytail connector) you might be disappointed. Maybe not! It does *sound* wicked.

The other interface (PreSonus Inspire) has zero hardware control. Just inputs and outputs. All control is via the software panel. That's been an advantage in live performance. Less to think about, and no switches getting flipped accidentally.

One good thing that's come of this, and it's taken me long enough, is that I now realize I don't have to worry about my computer crashing in the middle of a gig. I can run everything through the Inspire and keyboard audio will still come through. That means one channel on the Bose, not two. And one mono volume pedal controlling all.

Not necessarily, it's just that Apogee decided to put all of the significant signal controls in software instead of hardware.

You know, Kevin, you always give me just enough info to make me bang my head against the wall. Eventually I get it.

Here's that "significant control" of which you speak:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/gangsu/Picture12.png

As illustrated, one can indeed play a keyboard without first opening any recording software. You do have to click and drag these sliders, which I hadn't realized earlier. Voila, hardware monitoring.

Now if you could just give me another hint as to how I can shut down this computer (all in favour...) and still be able to play. :crazy:

Thanks for your help, as always.

My Tascam interface comes up with default settings so that I don't have to turn the computer on. When I do turn the computer on it updates it to the settings saved in the computer.

AH! So Tascam also makes products for the people. Glad to hear it. I'd love to see a list of those interfaces which do function when the computer is off. Well I guess I do have a short list. Thanks, Byrdman.

Archived