Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GP's March '08 List- What is the best clean tone ever? Vote!

Madaline G.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best "clear tube distortion" ever.....Pete Townshend on "BellBoy" off of Quadrophenia. I believe he's playing his customized Gibson Les Paul thru a custom HiWatt 100 watt head.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the great Allan Holdsworth - any of his lush chording tunes. "Say Devil take the hindmost" or "The Drums Were Yellow" (16 men of Tain) - gorgeous clean!

Steve Howe's clean tones on virtually all the Yes albums he plays on! Say, "All good people" solo. I also love his tone on "Siberian Katru"

Most of Phil Keaggy's clean stuff is beautiful too.

For the strat gotta go with, Eric Johnson say, "Manhatten" and Hendrix - "Wind cries Mary".

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

- Hunter S. Thompson

• 2 weeks later...

I'll mention Allan Holdsworth, not because my absolutely favourite clean sound, I love the fender twang best, at least as a sound to play, but I think that AH's "Home" and "Mr. Berwell"(with a wonderful pre-sounding reversed reverb) are true masterpieces of guitar sound for the compositions. Those are perfect sounds to fit those harmonies. Especially the glassy sound on "Home" is so good and full that it works almost as a piano and when the acoustic solo comes out (Probably a Maccaferri) the whole is heavenly.

So...: Allan Holdsworth//Metal Fatigue//"Home"

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Stevie Ray Vaughan // In Step // Riviera Paradise

That song is contrived. I suggest "Lenny" from Texas Flood is a better example of Stevie Ray's clean tone.

Nay nay nay, get outa there, and etcetera. Riviera Paradise may be the most sublime piece of music SRV ever came up with. Cease and desist downing it lest a plague of gerbils comes to devour your speaker cones!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I just heard this on on the radio last night. This is absolutely the best clean tone ever (IMHO):

Mark Knopfler/Kill to Get Crimson/"Punish the Monkey"

I prefer this tone to the sound Knopfler had on "Sultans of Swing."

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Los Lonely Boys - Henry Garza//Los Lonely Boys//"Heaven"

You just gotta love the sound Henry gets when he digs in for the riffs. You can hear the pick leaving the string and the string responding. Mmmm... where's my Strat!!!! Props to SRV.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

I can't believe no one else has mentioned this, but what the heck:

Television//Marquee Moon//"Marquee Moon"

I could list a bunch of Verlaine tracks - there's no end to the variety of sounds the man can get out of a Fender guitar and amp.

And a close second:

Chris Isaak//Heart Shaped World//"Wicked Game"

And while I'm at it, hi, people! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I mentioned Robbie Blunt, but I agree Holdsworth had a very unique spin on the clean tone. Stanley Jordan is another one with a nice clean tone. Someone mentioned Steve Howe, I would throw Trevor Rabin in that mix too. Eric Johnson. What about Andy Summer?

My friend who is into filmscoring met Trevor Rabin at some convention and said he was very cool.

Archived