Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lowdown Top 10

DavidMPires

Hi

Im stealing the other threads idea but anyway.

How about a top 10 with our very own Lowdown bass players.

Ill start mine

1-Jonathan Herrera

2-Steve Lawson

3-Max Valentino

4-Phil W

5-Jeremy C

6-Dave Sisk

7-Lenny B

8-Davo London

9-Alexander C Claber

10-Tim R

Ive struggle a bit because I havent heard to many stuff from you guys.

Ive based my decisions on player ability, musical knowledge and most important ability to pass that onto others. .

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David, I am flattered but although a lot of fun, this is difficult, contentious and potentially divisive because there are many awesome players on the Lowdown. There are at least ten (or is it 100?) players better than me for a start.

Also the concept of 'better' or 'best' is hard to identify in bassplayers. Sometimes the best bassplayers are the ones the audiences don't notice.

I know that's why I've mentioned the ability to share knowledge, and also I haven't heard 1/10 of the bass players here.

Although i would love too.

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I'll put myself at the bottom of any list posted. Anyone putting me at a higher level either:

a) hasn't heard me play

-or-

b) wants to borrow money.

The first is a blessing, the 2nd is like asking Stevie Wonder to drive you to the mall.

Play. Just play.

I think you should widen the critea a little to include handsome, modest, poeple who you would let babysit your Grandma. Then I'd be at number 2 behind Eric (CMDN).

What about your own personal top ten posts of the week, would that be more objective.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'll put myself at the bottom of any list posted. Anyone putting me at a higher level either:

a) hasn't heard me play

-or-

b) wants to borrow money.

I have to disagree, and put you one step above me, Flem. Oh and could you possibly lemmy a dollar?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Wow, didn't realise that this was your idea Jeremy, I'd missed your post in that other thread. I'm just happy to be in the popular set. It wasn't that way in high school. Not that I went to high school. ;)

David, there area lot of other Lowdowners you have to listen to. Not that the players on your list aren't all great!

Well, no offense, but I think having an ordered list is a pretty hateful concept, which sets people off against each other.

Ive based my decisions on player ability, musical knowledge and most important ability to pass that onto others. .

Well, I'm an ABG player, and in that case and as far as I'm concerned, Max Valentino should be at the very top of the list. I find his detailed explanations on any given topic (but mainly on ABG) to be one of the most useful and informative parts of this forum. I've learned HEAPS from his posts.

And of course, other people might have a different opinion. Especially if they have no interest in, say, pre-amps. And Phil is never short of a patient explanation on modes. And he's always mentioning interesting music to listen to. So maybe HE belongs at the very top of the list.

So yeah, having an ordered list is a pretty hateful and pointless concept. It's different when we're talking about a bunch of bass heroes we've never met, because they're not around to get hurt or belittled by our choices. I think Les Claypool sucks, but I wouldn't say that to his face, for example. No harm done if I say what I think, because I doubt he logs on much.

With people in the forum, I wouldn't want to put them through such a process. I respect them too much.

I think you should widen the critea a little to include handsome, modest, poeple who you would let babysit your Grandma. Then I'd be at number 2 behind Eric (CMDN).

What about your own personal top ten posts of the week, would that be more objective.

Too broad of a range. The true test of character would be one you would let babysit your wife or girlfriend. Now, based on that, where do your rank behind Eric?

I sort of got put off when I was younger about the entire "better than" issues with musicians. Don't get me wrong, I have performed competitively for a long time. Drum & Bugle Corps are all about musical competition...the thing is, I don't really see how you can say that one musician is "better" than another. Music is simply a form of expression after a certain skill level is acheived. If you ask 100 people who the best bassist ever is, chances are you would get at least 50 varied opinions...probably more like 75. In reality when you hear someone say that one musician is better than another is that the musician "speaks" musically to that person in a greater way.

Love God...Love People!

Well, no offense, but I think having an ordered list is a pretty hateful concept, which sets people off against each other.

Well, I'm an ABG player, and in that case and as far as I'm concerned, Max Valentino should be at the very top of the list. I find his detailed explanations on any given topic (but mainly on ABG) to be one of the most useful and informative parts of this forum. I've learned HEAPS from his posts.

And of course, other people might have a different opinion. Especially if they have no interest in, say, pre-amps. And Phil is never short of a patient explanation on modes. And he's always mentioning interesting music to listen to. So maybe HE belongs at the very top of the list.

So yeah, having an ordered list is a pretty hateful and pointless concept. It's different when we're talking about a bunch of bass heroes we've never met, because they're not around to get hurt or belittled by our choices. I think Les Claypool sucks, but I wouldn't say that to his face, for example. No harm done if I say what I think, because I doubt he logs on much.

With people in the forum, I wouldn't want to put them through such a process. I respect them too much.

Come on Kramer.......I wouldn't say 'hateful', that word implies being done with the intention of causing harm. I don't think that's the case, and I don't think anyone is going to be offended if they are not on someones list, and flattered if they are. But I would say, to me, it's an impossible 'top 10' to even guess at.

It's too hard to compare.

That being said, I think we could have an easily measured top 10 list requiring strickly visual judgement. Everyone would need to post a photo of themselves, and in a month we can vote on the 10 ugliest posters. This could even involve a cash prize that would help soften the blow of winning the contest. An entry fee could be sent to a trusted poster to hold until the winner is chosen, and then be sent to the winner.

The winner could also be designated as 'the poster you would most feel comfortable with babysitting your wife or girlfriend'.

The above posting is strictly for entertainment purposes. The poster assumes no responsibility for anyone wishing to pursue such foolishness. The poster also abstains from any involvement in such a contest as the probability of his winning said contest is extremely high.

Come on Kramer.......I wouldn't say 'hateful', that word implies being done with the intention of causing harm.

Oh, ok... gotcha. :)

No, I didn't mean that it was done to cause harm, but just that I find the idea rather repugnant and that it has the potential to cause, if not harm, tension.

Not because of who is or isn't on the list, but simply because it's an ORDERED list. I just don't think it's cool for the forum to vote that somebody is better than somebody else.

I mean, I know that some people here are very, very good and some here are just starting to play, or just thinking of buying their first bass. So there are level differences, but I don't think it's a good idea to establish a hierarchy.

It'd be different if we had a "song of the month" contest or whatever, because then we would only be judging the playing ON THAT SONG, not implying that EVERYTHING some guy's done is better than everything some other guy's done.

No, I didn't mean that it was done to cause harm, but just that I find the idea rather repugnant and that it has the potential to cause, if not harm, tension.

Not because of who is or isn't on the list, but simply because it's an ORDERED list. I just don't think it's cool for the forum to vote that somebody is better than somebody else.

Apologies David hangs himself in shame...

I didn't meant to create any tension or hate movement. And as for the order don't pay much attention to it.

Well there's anyway we can delete this thread???????

Apologies David hangs himself in shame...

I didn't meant to create any tension or hate movement. And as for the order don't pay much attention to it.

Well there's anyway we can delete this thread???????

That's fine Kramer, I should have put my thinking hat on before and guess that this kind of things can generate some mixed emotions.

Live and learn, next time i'll know. :)

Archived