Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have a dumb question.

JinVA

I don't really know much about Midi. I want to run my electro 61 and FP4 (just bought it) live, and Use the FP to trigger the rhodes from the nord, but use the FP4's piano sound on songs where it is needed. What is the best way to this and not have both sounds from both boards being triggered? do you guys just turn down the volume on the one you aren't using for that song?

thanks

-joel

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joel,

Read up in the manual for the FP4 about SETUPS. These will allow you to control the Electro easily from the FP4. The FP4 has two zones so you will be using one for the Roland and one for the Nord. You might want to set up the Electro to receive on MIDI channels 2 and 3 (SHIFT 1 & 2). You should be able to setup the FP4 so that by selecting SETUP #1, it plays only the Roland where as SETUP #2 sends a patch change to the Nord and you're now playing the Electro's Wurly on the FP4 keyboard, for example. The switching on/off should be automatic--you shouldn't have to deal with turn one up and the other down. When you get all done with it, it should be pretty slick.

Read through the manual. If it doesn't make sense, post again.

Busch.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was brushing you off. I don't have an FP4 so I can't give step-by-step instructions. I have worked with various Roland DPs and you can do what you need to do using the SETUPs.

Busch.

nah, its cool. What you gave me already helped a lot. Just reading what you wrote and re-reading the manual helped it to make a bit more sense. I can prob figure it out from here. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after taking a look at the manual, I don't think that it is possible to transmit local off from the FP4. The manual doesn't say anything about 2 zones either. But, I really have no idea what i'm doing. Help?

-joel

Hey Joel,

I gave you some inaccurate terminology. On the RD series Roland calls them setups and zones. On the FP they are registrations and layers/splits. I have the FP7 but am swapping it out for an FP4 which should be in on Wednesday. At that time I'll be able to step you through it. One trick that I employed on the FP7 (and this should work fine on the FP4) is to set the effect to Overdrive and then set the output to zero. This effectively shuts up the FP. Local on/off is a global setting and can't be set with the registration.

Busch.

Ok here's how to do it. You probably wouldn't have to change the Electro to a different MIDI channel but it helps to clarify things a bit. Change the Electro to MIDI channel 2 (upper) and 3 (lower).

The first registration is going to be FP4 only.

Select the piano sound you want to use.

Press FUNCTION and then SOUND CONTROL

For U.Ch (upper channel) set it to OFF

Hold down SOUND CONTROL and press + to get to L.Ch. Set if to OFF

Press the FUNCTION key to get out of setup mode.

Press and hold REGISTRATION, rGt will flash.

Press +/- to find the registration you want to use, e.g. 1 - 1

Let up on the REGISTRATION button and the preset is stored.

Now when you go to 1-1, the FP4 will sound but won't trigger the Nord.

Second is going to be Electro EP.

Press FUNCTION and then SOUND CONTROL

For U.Ch (upper channel) set it to 2

Hold down SOUND CONTROL and press + to get to L.Ch. Set if to OFF

Press and hold REGISTRATION.

While holding REGISTRATION press + until you get to PC

Release the REGISTRATION button and change the number to the corresponding patch number on the Electro (note: sometimes it's off by one)

Press and Hold the REGISTRATION button again to get to Ch. Change it to 2.

Press the Multi Effects button and change it to 7 (this is setting the FP to overdrive)

Press FUNCTION to get out of setup mode

Press and hold MULTI EFFECTS. Use - to set it to 0.

Press and hold REGISTRATION, rGt will flash.

Press +/- to find the registration you want to use, e.g. 2 - 1

Let up on the REGISTRATION button and the preset is stored.

Now registration 1-1 will be FP4 only and 2-1 will be the Electro EP. The good thing is once you've done these two registrations they can be the templates for other sounds. For example if you wanted 2-2 to be the Electro Wurly then all you would have to do is change the PC (program change) number to correspond to the Wurly and save this to a new registration location. You might want to organize your registrations so that they match up with the categories on the FP. For example place all your EP registrations in EP. You could use the FP as a lower manual for organ sounds. To do this, change the U.Ch to 3. A very handy thing about the FP regsitrations is that it remembers the last one you used in each category. So if you're playing 2-2 and switch to 1-1, when you press 2 it will take you back to 2-2. Obviously very nice for live work.

If anything is unclear or it doesn't work properly on your system, let me know.

Busch.

Archived