Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Public liability insurance

Jazz+

Who do you recommend for public liability insurance coverage on gigs? It's not my gear that needs coverage, it's the general public liability that some clients insist upon so as to protect themselves.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My stuff is insured through Musicpro and I believe they offer liability, as well.

I've carried gear insurance for longer than i care to remember but have never paid premiums as low as i do now with MusicPro. Makes me a little wary. Anybody have any experience with filing claims with them?

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I get my liability insurance thru the Musicians Union. I pay $250 a year for a $1,000,000/$2,000,000 policy, no deductible. A company called Marsh is the insuring agent. Many of the upscale venues that I work require liability insurance for all their outside vendors including musicians.

My instrument insurance also comes thru the Musicians Union with the Marsh Company. I have about $9,000 worth of gear covered at a cost of $76 per year with no deductible. Because of the amount of business that the union generates to the insuring company they are very good about taking care of claims promptly and fairly.

I can also recommend the Musician's Union route if you are in the UK. As part of your annual membership you get 10 million UKP worth of PLI. It's easily the most economical way to get personal PLI, plus you get all the other great services of the union too - just attended a one-day seminar on mastering which the MU paid for!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived