Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zawinul In Memoriam

analogholic

Hi everyone,

I got this from a friend today.

It´s a brand new Austrian documentary. It´s in german, but there is a lot of Joe playing acoustic classical, awesome pianoplaying with Cannonball and much more...

I got really emotional when I saw Zawinul playing and speaking at the end...it sounds almost as a requiem...

As Marino said the other day; Now I have to go and cry somewhere...I think it finally really hit me that Joe is in heaven and that we won´t see him fire it up live nomore...

Thank you for all the fantastic music Joe...

Thank you for all the magic...

Thank you for making me interested in synthesizers...

You will be missed

Attila

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful video ... lovely to see Joe in the 60s with the Adderley band and also with European bands...

Also nice to see a bit of early weather report (circa 71-72?) in what seems like a church...just goes to show that there is footage of this band out there...

I still can't quite believe Joe is gone.. but what a legacy...

I have listened to Weather Report (1st LP), I Sing the Body Electric, Sweet Nighter, Mysterious Traveller, Black Market, Heavy Weather a lot over the last few days... what I am now listening intently too is the vrious layers of sounds Joe did, esp on the later LPs... just little subtle sounds.. I mean Birdland sounds like a big brass band yet its mostly in Joes Oberheim and Arps... just amazing...

btw. is it my ears or has the remastered version of Heavy Weather been edited? I seem to recall Palladium faded out but now it abruptly ends into a cloud of reverb... is that right?

i loved the fact fact that Joe played accordian first off as a kid, i can really relate to thats how i got started. Also love the fact that even after going to the conservatory and all that that was, Joe missed the feel of playing in a 'down home' environment like a kid with his family and friends around. He rejected the institutionized approach, though I think he graduated and played the classics and I'm sure like it. Nobody could deny his advancements and accomplishments as a player and innovator.

I was told after studing jazz for a while that it was a form of folk music and i think Joe really understood that!

lb :thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Very moving and sad at the same time.

Thanks for posting.

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

(sing over the 'mercy, mercy' music) :)

A great memorial video. I had seen Joe and Gulda on two pianos, and Gulda at the piano in the Syndicate (as a guest), but never as a Synth/piano duo. The version of 'Stories of the Danube' with the lights and fireworks was great too, and of course all the Cannonball, WR and Syndicate stuff.

I'd only wish to understand better what Joe says, and the speaker too. My German is non-existent... someone should put subtitles on this, in some language I know...

Anyway, thanks a lot!

Thanks for this further insight into Joe's artistry. I'm even more impressed with his classical chops. The duets with Gulda and his son(?) were great. Joe's bass line on the KORG sounded like something Jaco would play or maybe he was tutored by Joe.. :idea:

What a wonderful film. Thank you so much for posting it. Brahms' Variations on a theme by Hayden is one of my very favorite pieces and to hear Z playing it makes my heart soar. What a man - I am so glad to have been alive to experience his music and spirit. You know, Mojazz, I was thinking the same thing - a lot of the bass lines in Joe Z's music has that flavor and I bet he did tutor Jaco. That film just takes my breath away...
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Joe's bass line on the KORG sounded like something Jaco would play or maybe he was tutored by Joe.. :idea:

Well...He told me once that he did tutor Jaco, you know the typical Zawinul way of saying it (ie VERY straightforward...)

When I asked him who he thought was the greatest bassplayer (I don´t remember if I meant in WR or in general)he replied with a surprised look on his face..."ME" he said pointing at himself... :)

He said that he wrote a lot of the basslines for WR and for Miles

Me and my dad had the incredibly great pleasure of inviting Joe for dinner at our home back in ´93...I´m currently trying to remember all the stuff Joe said (will also check with my father, so we don´t forget any gems...)and I will post it on the forum...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Joe was a truly great conceptualiser and player of basslines. I remember either Miles or Joe being quoted as him being pretty much hired to write basslines at one point. His basslines are a major source of inspiration for me - as are many other aspects of his music - but then I'm a bassist.

He always worked with great bassists too.

It would be interesting if some publication did an article on Joes approach to music... its really interesting listenign and watching to him play. I have now seen the Montreux 76, The Weather Update video from 1986 with Steve Khan amongst others and there are some really interesting things happening.

One thing I think Joe really innovated was the idea of playing a chord (or maybe just a 5th) on a single key.. its all over Weather Report (Teen Town in particular) and the Syndicate... I really like the idea of tuning oscillators to get cool thick sounds... I wonder if the Oberheim 8 voice was the best synth for that due to the independent SEM structure...?

Another thing was the vocoder and african vocalisations and his way of playing really beautiful counter melodies and lines against Waynes lead...

But the main thing for me was his old rhodes work... I have no idea what his concept was... there seemed to be no real solo spots... seemed like everybody soloed together and rarely one at a time... but somehow it resonates with me a lot...

Archived