Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Still traveling...

Fumblyfingers

Darnit I hope I don't catch flak for always posting clips here.

Anyway this is a little more noodling on the Traveler, some little excerpts from some tunes of mine.

Coupla things.....

Firstly, this is straight from the Traveler into a DI and into an ART Tube Preamp with no EQ at all going in. The ART is set to Warm Voice.There is a little Mastering going on with Ozone 3 on the Master track but no color is added, just some spread and some plate and Volume Maximizer.

There is some pumping coming from the ART....there is no visible compressor or whatever on it just some input setting presets. I see no nothing about a compressor. Perhaps the guitar was responding to the playback signal coming from the monitors or some sort of phase thing but it was only a Mono track...I dunno. Maybe the ART has some sort of dynamics built in...I usually use it for vocals and acoustic micing. But the sustain is really good on this guitar considering. It has a Shadow pickup under the bridge saddle and no preamp or volume even.

If you listen to the last chord you will see how long I held it while I could still hear it...that is pre Ozone....so unless that ART has a compressor, it sustains well.

The playback seems to favor one side. It has something to do with how i set the stereo spread...sorry.

Also I can usually play these things perfectly but you will hear me flub quite a bit. Mostly this has to do with the small body and nowhere to support the forearm and with no natural balance from the headstock etc. It is a beeyatch to hold sometimes. It is ok when your wrist is pegged at the bridge but if you move or lift your hand to do a special picking or strumming technique the whole axe can move and I lose my stuff for a second or so.

Trucks I think made mention of it also. I'm not worried about it. The whole idea is to have something I can practice on anywhere anytime. The intonation on it sounds really good, I had to take it.

Anyway, this is not a guitar to take into the studio on a session. I did this just so you guys could hear the quality of the sound without any POD, no delay or chorus or anything. It sounds quite good considering.

The Mode Less Traveled

I just noticed it sounds quite good on headphones....the fingerpicked low notes are lost on my laptop. Get out those Sony MDR 7506's if you please LOL.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good jam Lister. I was taking a listen and I couldn't help but to grab my guitar and turn on the marshall and jam to it. Oh yeah and the traveler sounds pretty good too. : )

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

I wish I heard music the way you do...

I have noticed you say that before and I dont know how to respond other than that is a really nice thing to say. Thanks. I'm not sure I know what you mean..I guess my style....but for example I flat suck at American rock like Skynyrd, ABB etc and anything Country. Throw a bunch of major triads at me and ask me to solo over them and I sound wrong. So I suppose it is all relative 'cos you are going to hear some things and approach something way better than I would.

But I appreciate the compliment....if there is something I can do or if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks Reif, Bytored.

Sofa, so good... :D (Listened to most of it- I assume, maybe all of it, thus far.) (Nope, reloaded, got more of it this time, didn't work right the first time. Still think it's getting cut-off, maybe the 3rd-time'll be a charm...)

Niiiiiice! That super-clean tone does right by you, and vice-verse. Nice 'n' clucky 'n' percussive 'n' compressed inna goodway, like a cross between a Strat with P-90 soapbars and a hammered dulcimer. :cool: I like your sense of harmony and melody.

I think that it's likely that the quasi-pumping that you cite is just part and parcel of a saddle-piezo like that; been there, done that, your description sounds familiar.

I get a similar enough tone playing my LP (believe it or not) into the J-Station (digital modeler) using a "blackface" Fender model with NO speaker or cab model or emulation, with heavy compression and limiting and heavily tweaked EQ and a huge 'verb and (modeled) "analog/tape"-delay. I was sort of going for a David Gilmour/"Wall"-era echo feel with a super clean DI sound when I made that program and it's come to be one of my very favorite patches on the J-Sta', certainly my most used clean one, for sure!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have noticed you say that before and I dont know how to respond other than that is a really nice thing to say. Thanks. I'm not sure I know what you mean..I guess my style....So I suppose it is all relative 'cos you are going to hear some things and approach something way better than I would.

But I appreciate the compliment....if there is something I can do or if you have any questions let me know.

Perhaps it is a genre that I am not familiar with or maybe it just hits me in a way that no other musical style has. I find it facinating. I cannot play in that style but I can't play jazz or fusion either... But I don't care to sit and listen to jazz or fusion. I don't hear other musicians styles in your playing but that could be that I've never been exposed to the musicians that influenced you. Some of your music strikes me as a story without words but a melody and tone that speaks volumes in the notes you chose and the way in which you chose them...Like a movie you find outstanding but your wife or friend thinks is ok but not their cup of tea. Some players play technically perfect. Others play to get a crowd going or to draw attention. You seem to play to a song that only you hear. I could be way off here but that's how I see it... There is a writer by the name of Brad Meltzer who was asked how he comes up with what he writes about and how does he keep his audiance. His response was, "I have to enjoy EVERY page I write otherwise the reader will pick up on this and lose interest." You seem to play every not as if you enjoy each one. I hope that explains it a little more...

Thank you Justus.....I dig that with the Multiband Stereo Imager one can take certain freqs and move them around in the stereo spectrum. So Like the bass end and treble end might be kinda Lt and Rt and a high mid like on the D string or something will pop out just left of center or something....really cool, and it will only do it in that freq you select....well that's my understanding about it :)

You can really hear it in the beginning of the second part of the blues section. I am going to work this aspect to death... :laugh: No serious...it seems a great effect to add to just a guitar track or some other instrument to give it spatial depth.

The thing that amazes me, Fumbles. Is that you have a better tone with that thing than most Dreadnought players do, with their piezo systems. It sounds very full and... ermm.... open, you wouldn't guess it was a piezo nailed to what looks like a boat oar. I think if I were to be in the position where I needed one, I would maybe have got it with a singlecoil too, just for more flavour... But I guess that would be trying to make something which is a compromise into a "real" guitar. I use the term real, lightly, because it sounds good.

Do you think you will treat yourself to a Pocket POD, to compliment it?

I loved that last little bit at the end, after the blues part. Right up my street, quite "world new folk type thing".

WELL!!! Seems the guys have been takin' it kind of easy you ya my brotherman! :) but I'm gonna lay it upon ya!! that was only marginally WONDERFUL!! LOL.... I think you are my new guitar hero! that was excellent Fumbles, that little axe sounds as good as most acoustics I've heard (as Trucks pointed out) the tube pre did add warmth on the lower strings for sure and I don't hear any pumping except once on a long sustained chord and I'm not sure if it's what I heard? Sometimes a tiny bit of chorus can make a wonderful expansion of the stereo effect even in a mono recording. I sure would like to hear some chorus, the TTE would be very happy on that tune by the way Fumbles!! :) great playing, touch and selection..you ARE a player sweetcakes!!! EDIT: "Get out those Sony MDR 7506's if you please LOL."....how the heck did you know that???????

.... you wouldn't guess it was a piezo nailed to what looks like a boat oar. Do you think you will treat yourself to a Pocket POD, to compliment it?

LOL...it is a strange looking guitar. It is a clever design though.

Pocket POD....dunno, I am going to have to watch expenditure for a while...but that is a good idea, definiftely an option.

I have a CD-GT 1 MkII that I am hoping will play burned CD's consistantly. I want to take Jamey Aebersold CD's and lose the melody instrument, using Pro Tools, so all I have is a pan centered backing track.Too bad the sound in the CD-GT is bloody awful to the most part. But at least I can jam along to a CD or actually do some real jazz studies or something other than just jamming.

For when I have access to power, I had thought about trying to take a briefcase or Pelican case and put an amp sim or the CD-GT in it and some sort of a very small power amp and 4" speakers of the best quality I can find...maybe 5" if they have them. I'd also want a headphone jack that defeats the speakers. A self contained deal with everything encased in foam.

Maybe a gutted micro guitar amp or a Pocket POD, a Zoom thingy into a stereo car amp of some sort. Each component will have to be somewhat light. I don't have to go 12V althought it wil be nice to be able to use a lighter adaptor in the truck. There is always a truck somewhere on location...I have several 25' lighter adaptor extensions.

I will integrate stuff like this as I go along. It will be a little off to walk in on my first few weeks back to work with a whole recreational guitar setup LOL.

Yes I use Pro Tools LE with a Digidesign 002 Rack.

Thanks a lot HT but say that stuff about the recording quietly in case Scott Fraser or Bill@ see that :laugh: .

I get my way around pretty well on the interface, and I just use my ears to the most part. But I am light on the actual audio end as relates to really understanding EQ and being able to accurately pick out a freq I need to adjust, compression, limiting, side chaining etc etc. But it is nice being able to do what I am able to. I just have no illusions about my ability as compared to really experienced engineers.

Pro Tools LE....thanksa lot HT but say that stuff about the recording quietly in case Scott Fraser or Bill@ see that :laugh: .

I get my way around pretty well on the interface, and I just use my ears to the most part. But I am light on the actual audio end as relates to really understanding EQ and being able to accurately pick out a freq I need to adjust, compression, limiting, side chaining etc etc. But it is nice being able to do what I am able to. I just have no illusions about my ability as compared to really experienced engineers.

In terms of just "home recording", aside from guitar playing talent, NO guitar player I know here has the "sound" quality clips that you do... AString comes very close.

I record with the USB mic to my amp onto Sonar. It's ok for cute little demos but it's probably not the best way to do things.

My main objective right now is not to put too much time or money into home recording but one of these days, I'll get more into it.

Yes I use Pro Tools LE with a Digidesign 002 Rack.

Thanks a lot HT but say that stuff about the recording quietly in case Scott Fraser or Bill@ see that :laugh: .

I did see that. Here's one comment, which really has nothing to do with your recording skills or playing & everything to do with the reality of piezo pickups. The one thing which bugs me more than anything with piezos is the exagerrated string squeaks & finger noise. I find you can cut those about in half if you run the signal through a de-esser. Find a particularly gnarly squeak & loop it. Then use the side chain listen function to tune in on the center of the offending frequency, probably somewhere between 5.5 to 6.5k. Then adjust to get maybe 10 or 12 db of gain reduction in that notch, with the de-esser in bandpass mode. It will really helps warm a piezo up. I don't know if ProTools LE includes a dedicated de-esser, but you can set up a multiband dynamics plugin, like a Waves C4 or PSP Vintage Warmer, to de-ess. And if you don't have a multiband comp, just try a fairly narrow notch, maybe 6 to 9 db deep with a parametric EQ, somewhere in that same frequency range.

Of course, if the squeaks don't bother you, don't worry about it, but to my ear, that's the one thing that turns me off to piezos more than anything else. On my piezo equipped guitars, I always mix in the magnetic pickup about 50/50 or more to take the edge off the piezo.

Once again, great playing.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

HT thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Scott, yeah I was thinking along those lines, but using the electronics only and getting really nice 4" Polk tweeters or something...those little amps might sound better into a decent speaker.

Then I started thinking about a sim like Trucks mentioned....a Pocket POD or Zoom, Pandora etc..that sort of thing and use a car power amp to send the signal to the speakers. It would be expensive all said and done but would likely sound fairly good. And I could set it up for 12V DC either wall wart or car adaptor.

Darn...my idea is now fully expensive...Pelican case at what...$130 with the Pick 'n Pluck foam...$130 for the POD, $200 for a car power amp, $120 for some Infinity Speakers, +/- $30 for miscellaneous wiring and components....LOL.....I'm at $600 or so..Hmmmm.....maybe used stuff LOL....very used!

I don't know if ProTools LE includes a dedicated de-esser....

Wow Scott that is amazing info....LOL it is going to take some digesting.I totally get the jist of it but I am not sure what I have that will do this. Checking.....

Ozone 3 has a Multiband Compresser. My Alesis 3630 rack mount compressor has side-chain capability.

Wow....in looking closer at my plug-in's it seems I may have the tools for this. I have 2 Digidesign De-Essers..... the Digidesign Dynamics Suite III one has a De-esser with sidechain and the Listen function you mentioned. I also have a Smack LE compressor with sidechain.

You see this is exactly what I was referring to....how experienced engineers know how to isolate something offensive and tweak it. I do need to get up off my butt and start playing around with sidechaining and learning how to properly use a multiband compressor.

Thanks for that tweak trick. With work looming tomorrow I don't know when I can sit down with it but it "sounds" like a great trick.

I am really looking forward to trying this....thank you for opening my eyes and mind to this.

"....with the Multiband Stereo Imager one can take certain freqs and move them around in the stereo spectrum. So Like the bass end and treble end might be kinda Lt and Rt and a high mid like on the D string or something will pop out just left of center or something....really cool, and it will only do it in that freq you select...."

Really cool, indeed! I can dig that very much, myself; I wanna do that! (I'd especially like it as a "live", performance effect, with a stereo rig. That'd go GREAT with my volume-swell thing...) :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Wow Scott that made a huge difference. I have not had time to fine tune just try it quickly while being summonsed to come do house work :mad:

Here is a quick demo first one without...second one with de-esser.

Piezo Squeak

That certainly helps. This is something I do all the time on upright pizz bass when the player is getting excessive clicking by slapping the string on the fingerboard.

On my laptop speakers it sounds like your de-esser is in wide band mode, meaning the entire signal compresses during the squeak. Is there a narrow band or band pass mode on that plugin? If so it will only pull the volume in the frequency band you've set, leaving the underlying sustain alone. Also you might want to try a little low end boost, like a db & a half around 110-125Hz & little high end rolloff, maybe -2 db shelving above 3k. Maybe, maybe not, since I've only heard this on my laptop speakers, not my studio system, but I think there's a bit more energy in the upper mids & highs than you really need.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Good ear Scott...yeah I just sent the whole thing through and I ran it through an Ozone preset just as a fast example.

That plug-in appears to have a HF only button is all...The ad for it says it has Side Chain Filtering.....

"Multi-channel support

Optimized for maximum CPU and DSP effeciency

Tight integration with control surfaces and VENUE live sound environment

Support for Avid software

High-resolution processing, up to 192 kHz

External key and side-chain filter capabilities

Automatable controls with smooth parameter changes

RTAS, TDM, and AudioSuite formats"

I'll have to spend some time with the manual and figure out how to sidechain.

I appreciate you getting my brain working....I enjoy learning stuff a whole lot.

Good ear Scott...yeah I just sent the whole thing through and I ran it through an Ozone preset just as a fast example.

See if the Digidesign de-esser has a band pass or low pass mode. That might give you a little smoother effect, & not pump the sustains. Or else solo the upper mid range on the Ozone & tune it to include just the 4k to 7k range, & have the other bands only lightly compressing, just a couple db gain reduction, while the squeak range is doing more, like 10db or so. And use a fast release time, like something under 30 milleseconds. If it's still pumping, try less gain reduction. Maybe 5 or 6 db is all you get with that plugin before it starts sounding artifacty.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived