Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music/keyboard practice ideas while at WORK!!!

suds

Hey guys,

I vaguely remember there was a topic similar to this some time ago..but i cant seem to find it in the search.

More specifically i sit in front of a PC ALL for my day job in IT and am looking for ideas that i could possibly do at work to improve my overall general musicianship skills.

I am now using my 3 hours of commute to work on Sightreading, rhythm reading and note recognition .

But all this time i spend sitting at a PC...surely i could do stuff during the slow periods.

so far i do:

1) interval recognition - found a good online site which has all ascending and descending intervals.

2) i guess i could just listen to music at my desk and tap with my LEFT foot which was a skill someone suggested here ( and i dont do that well)

any other ideas?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always try and analyze the chords and melody in any tune I hear whether it's on the radio, TV, or background music in a store or restaurant.

Solfege?

I don't use the computer very much for music except for compiling my own fakebook so there's not much more I can suggest.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Interval recognition, music dictation, chord recognition starting with triads and progressing with sevenths and inversions, rhythm recognition and reproduction...

I know there are a couple of sites (and quite a few programs) which do most of the above, but I have no links, sorry. I'm sure you can find them with a little searching.

I like to listen to tunes, and harmonize with various parts of each tune. I also like to mentally remix the tunes, sometimes changing up the rhythm, changing the meter, changing the speed, and/or adding/removing parts.

I found this great site called: http://www.musictheory.net/ It has some drills that are very handy. I managed to get a lot of practice for a quiz yesterday thanks to the key signature drills. I had to memorize how many sharps and flats every key and minor ket had from C# to Cb. Luckily, I know from 4#s to 4bs like the back of my hand, so I only really had to concentrate on the 5s and up. Who ever plays a song in Ab minor??
GIGO

the best way is take personal or sick day, stay home and practice all day while they still pay you...

The other way is practice fingering with other commute partner or coworker.

+1

"Work from Home!"

"Go to a meeting where there is a piano"

I am now using my 3 hours of commute to work on Sightreading, rhythm reading and note recognition .

You don't drive to work, right? Sight reading and driving sounds likes a dangerous combo. :o

I agree that some sort of interval training like solfege might be the may to go, and here's a way (possibly) that you can do it. Next time you're at work, take a second and listen to the background noise to see if you can pick up on a drone. If there's a piece of office machinery or a fan or something nearby, its motor will probably put off a drone. Then, hum along with it until you match it in pitch. That's your tonic note. Now you're ready to go. Try singing things like various scales, melodies, and chords based off that tonic note.

I do this often in the shower. I found that my bathroom fan makes an F#/Gb tone. It's actually kind of fun.

Archived