Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting that Jimi Hendrix sound...

Squ

Using a Tube Screamer for CLEAN BOOST mode

Another use, which works best with a TS-808 or the TS-808 mod is a clean boost. Turn the gain (top left) knob almost all the way down (maybe on 1) and turn the tone (middle) knob down almost all the way too, and crank up the output volume (top right) to the desired boost level. This can boost a tube amp with nice smooth tone and very little pedal distortion (makes more tube distortion

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kramer, did he plug the wah wah in backwards? I can't remember speciffically on that tune, but if you reverse the cables on your wah you get kind of a squeal that changes pitch as you move the pedal open and closed. I'm gonna have to dig ou the cd.

OK... I've got a serious question now...

How the heck do you do the "seagulls" at the end of "If Six Was Nine"? By "seagulls" I mean the screechy sounds at the end, the ones that sound like (ahem) a flock of seagulls (lowercase) banking.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/Seagull_hp_outline.jpg

Don't know how people do it live these days but on the record that's Hendrix playing flute. Pretty cool eh? Even when playing flute he still sounds like Hendrix.

There is some confusion as to whether Hendrix played a flute or a soprano recorder on this track. The credits list Hendrix as playing flute, but recorder player Rodney Waterman and Joe Vanderford of Independent Weekly refer to Hendrix's instrument as a recorder. Early music enthusiast Nicholas S. Lander maintains that "the high tessitura, the typical 'breaking' between octaves, and other characteristics are more suggestive of a soprano recorder

One thing to add, I'm not sure if any of you guys touched on this already, but having a reverse headstock like Jimi reverses the length of the strings and actually provides for more harmonics. if it's one thing i learned from Robert Godin, it's that the farther away a tuning head is away from the bridge, the more harmonics will be applied to that particular string, in Jimi's case, the big strings.

And one more thing, getting the old Fender 3-way toggle switch stuck in between positions just right can provide some magical sounds.

Good luck, :thu:

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

It's all pointless unless you tie a scarf around your head.

Mind you, the scarf has to be at least 40% rayon. The static caused by friction on the scarf as you shake your head up and down creates a subtle but perceptible energy field which interacts with the pedals and adds a second layer of distortion.

It's all in the headscarf, I'm tellin' ya.

this is hilarious

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Archived