Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The wiring nightmare begins !!!!!!

desertbluesman

We relegated my DAW to the shed (Climate Controlled) Now I have to rewire 4 preamps, a line mixer, the Layla 24/96 box, several compressors my Cakewalk/Peavey Studio Mix Controller, the Tonelab tabletop, and A Roland MIDI patcher, The SW1000XG to the Studio Mix, both MIDI and audio, and guy in the sky knows what else. I am in the shed preparing for that very pursuit right now. Wish me luck, I will get'er done no problem as I have done it before several times, but I would like to get'er done on the first try. (just a little bit of craftsmanship pride there)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The patchbay is your friend.

I have to kinda laugh though... back when I ran a studio I wired 80 rack spaces of mostly vintage gear through eight 96 point solder TT patchbays. On another occasion I wired all of the Whirlwind MassPins for the entire Pernel Center at C-MU, at about 276 contacts per (approx 3 inch round)connector, as well as the tie points and amphenol connectors between the main theater, studio theater, and TV production rooms and control rooms.

When I moved my little home recording rig into my new house, and paired it down to 8 preamps, a Fireface 800, and the Mytek converters I thought that I might not need patch bays. Nahhh.... I'm going back and wire in some quarter inch bays just to make routing easier. Been set up for less than 5 dats and already I'm tired of pulling out the racks.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Reminds me of my teen days building mixers for bands. I loved that stuff but now it takes me a week (injury not included) just to take a cab appart to tighten it down or replace drivers. I figure at least I know how and when to do it. Feels great when I am done, I just don't have the desire anymore but that could be energy or lack of there forth.

I picked up 2 of the smaller Marshall 4X12's (VS412) because the owner though he blew the speakers. I opened them up and with 20 extra screws and tightened up some loose speaker screws, they rock. No shake rattle or roll from the cabs, just what they are supposed to project.

I built a system for a civic enter and designed a, what I thought was a cool swithching and delay circuit but it was too confusing to the the foks running the sound so I ended up building a good old patchboard for the rack.

Man, you guys bring back some great memories.

Peace

I got'er done, it was pretty simple the only glitch was the Cakewalk/Peavey StudioMix controller took some time to get working, I don't know why, it was hooked up right on the first try, so I had to shut the computer down recheck and replug the MIDI wires, and boot'er up and viola she worked like a charm. The StudioMix also has a little analog mixer in it so I can run the SW synth into the Layla box and control it and the monitor outs volume with the mixer in the StudioMix, and it also controls a boom box that I also have hooked up to it for a different reference through consumer gear. It controls Sonar through the SW MIDI in outs. I had the audio hooked up incorrectly at first. It worked but not the way I had it before, so that took some thinking then I remembered how it was hooked up and bingo that worked as well.

LOL! I was mixing for Mike Snider at Opryland USA themepark when the "rock 'n roll" show slated for the Geo Theater pavilion during the days was cancelled. Mike was sick of playing the little gazebo they had him in and decided to stretch out. He was given permission to try his show in the big pavilion.

I asked my bosses for basic information on the installed concert sound system but they ignored me for weeks. On the day we were to move in I was told someone would be there to show me the signal flow and open the locked power amp room. Of course, I was there early and NOBODY was there from sound services. Putzes. :rolleyes:

I madly called anyone whose number I could find and finally got someone to the theater. Among other "brilliant" moves, he walked up to the large, Harrison console (with the miniscule Mackie SR24 I was to use next to it) and commenced to pulling every mini tt patch cord from the bay beside it. He then re-plugged the 4 outputs from my board to the patchbay. (My inputs were pre-wired on a separate snake, IIRC.)

A few days later the girl charged with acting as audio liason to the name acts who played the pavillion at night asked me why the hell I pulled her patches. I explained why I had nothing to do with it. Given the sound services personnel involved she completely understood.

She was upset because that summer the Oak Ridge Boys played the lion's share of the pavillion dates. She was very familiar with their setup by the time we played the days in that theater and had preset all the necessary patches for the big board for their show. Of course, she then had to redo the entire patch layout after our performance. :eek:

All because Dumbo the sound services full-timer decided to act first and think never. :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

With wiring, as with carpentry, measure twice, cut once. And think long. If you need six feet of cable to get from here to there, make it eight feet. At some point you'll be glad you have a little extra service loop.

And don't wear shorts while soldering.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived