Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Taught a friend...

slap-pop-karl

Slap bass. Do you think it was to soon for him? He tends to want it every where. Is it because it is new to him or is it because I taught him it to soon?

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of people want to learn that first because it looks and sounds cool.

Now teach him something else: how about the names of all the notes on the bass?

That way when someone says it's in G, he will know where seven different G's can be found on a Fender bass. (There are more on basses with more strings or frets).

He uses a Epiphone (sp) thunderbird!

He aint learned scales properly yet, Its just that i dont really no much, he just wanted to learn that. I would like to teach him more though and put his rip off teacher in place.

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Yeah, that teacher must have been a real rip-off.

Watch out for what you are getting yourself into, Karl....

I've heard an aphorism that includes the words "the blind leading the blind...."

Funny. I was thinking "In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

It sounds as though you and you friend could study together and learn a little theory. It may be more fun to do it together. Look at Jeremy's post on basic theory you will find it very helpful.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Your next assignment, Karl.

Away from the bass write out the following major scales:

C

C#

Db

D

Eb

E

F

F#

Gb

G

Ab

A

Bb

B

Cb

You don't have to write the notes on the staff, just write the note names on a piece of paper.

There is one of each letter name in each scale. A major scale will have flats or sharps but never both.

When you finish, draw a pictures of the fretboard and write in the note names in the places where you will play them. Do this without touching your bass.

When you finish all that, you will be ready to begin learning.

What you consider a rip off teacher, the amount teachers charge is not equaly comparable with their knowledge and skills to teach.

One teacher can work for you, and maybe he/she won't work for me.

I tend to prefer stricty teachers opposed to laid back guys, as I need the presure to keep me going.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Thanks guys, Jeremy C are you wanting me to rite them out the notes in each major scale on the forum?

I think I'll take that exercise Jeremy, give a week and i'll came back

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb317/santas_killer/CscalesMojor.jpg

Is this what you mean?? (Fret board thing)

Thats for the C scale (I hope) and the red dots are the root notes and the Black are the other notes. I didn't rite out the note names though, just wanted to know if that was right before going on ahead.

You don't have to show your work here....just doing the exercise you'll learn a lot.

Your fretboard looks fine....you're using a moveable fingering for the C scale and you used the fingering in four locations.

I usually put the first fret at the top of the picture, but your picture tells the story.

Looks good. How about the next Octave? You should be able to play two. Have a look at starting on the E string 8th fret and continuing up onto the G string. Moving your hand for the last 4 notes, or even moving your hand to play the last C on the octave and move again later.

PhilW has got some really good fingering charts for some alternative fingerings.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Here's one for starters.

Start on the C on the 8th fret. play the scale up until you reach the next C and instead of playing it with your little finger, move your hand and play it with your second finger. Continue the pattern as before up onto the G string then when you run out of strings ;) move your hand again and play the end of the scale on 14,16 and 17.

Be careful when you get above the 12th fret. Here there be dragons. :)

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Frank Gambale has some really interesting fingerings because of his use of sweep picking.

Sweep picking means than when you play a passage, each note is on a different string, enabling you to sweep your picking hand in one direction across the strings and therefore helping you play faster.

Of course, you end up with some large stretches in your left hand.

I've been working on this a little after seeing Adam Nitti play.

It'll be another few years before I'm ready to use the technique in public. ;)

Yes, Adrian Nitti has done some stuff with diagonal patterns:

http://www.adamnitti.com/bass_player_09.shtml

http://www.adamnitti.com/bass_player_08.shtml

I have some sheets written out in standard notation with fingerings underneath and string choices on top. These are written up for all the main scales and modes (all in G). I then have a second set of sheets with arpeggios. All are to be played diagonally. The advantage being that instead of playing across the strings and then up and down the skinny string when playing line over more than one octave, the diagonal pattern uses the neck in a smoother and more logical pattern.

I got them from Steve Billman who I took lessons from. He teaches at LAMA where Frank is also involved. Steve also got to play in Frank's band with Billy Cobham. :love:

Oh, actually I did scan these sometime and email them to some people on here - maybe a year ago?

Archived