Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

exp/volume pedals

cdkey

So what is your fave pedal and what is the difference between the pedals that have hard wired leads attatched such as the ev5 from roland and those that have multiple jacks such as the korg xvp 10 (internally I mean) do these pedals not all do the same thing or am I missing something? I use both the above pedals but am not over keen on the roland as the travel distance is very small for the level band that I tend to use it in, either that or I have clumsy big feet.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't like the EV5 either. I like my Yamaha FC7.

The EV5 and my Yamaha FC7 work with Yamaha, Korg, Hammond, ... but not Kurzweil. You can rewire, or buy an adaptor.

There's just a difference of opinion on which wires go to the tip, ring and sleeve. Most folks do it one way, Kurzweil does it the other.

--wmp

I've gotten used to the throw on the Hammond EXP-100F. I haven't found an external pedal with the length of throw or smoothness of response the Hammond pedal has. That's why I'll MIDI from my XB-2 into my Korg and use the Hammond pedal as a controller for the Korg.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I don't like the short travel on the Roland EV-5 either. Its nice that it has a POT to adjust when you start getting sound, but its useful range where you have control isn't enough. Its also easy to knock over with my big feet. I like the Yamaha FC7 pedal.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I have two EV-5s which currently reside in my junk box since replacing with FC7s.

With regards to the korg pedal mentioned above: it can operate like an old fashioned traditional volume pedal, where you run the audio output of the instrument through it (think guitar or pedal steel volume pedal).

It can also operate like these other pedals do, as a dedicated control voltage pedal which plugs directly into a synth or controller kbd. The internal computer of the instrument reads the position, and maps that value to various useful things.

Moe

---

Do I take it the fc7's haver a longer throw over the ev5 then?

I am glad to see it is not just me who has be getting a peed off with this pedal, I dont know why but I did not seem to notice the problem untill recently. I thought about making an angled braket it for it to sit on to bring more to the position I like but this would probably be a waste of time... I wonder can it be tweaked or probably better e-bayed.. I had a look a rolands website and they seem to have a lot of other maybe new exp/volume pedals now similar looking to the korg xvp10.

I take it the FC7 is fine with Nord stuff then?

Do I take it the fc7's haver a longer throw over the ev5 then?

Yes.

I had a look a rolands website and they seem to have a lot of other maybe new exp/volume pedals now similar looking to the korg xvp10.

Not new, but yes, similar. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. The EV-5 is the least expensive 'expression' type pedal that Roland makes.

I take it the FC7 is fine with Nord stuff then?

No. You need an adapter (either made yourself, or you can simply purchase this one from Ashby Solutions. :thu:

I will keep the ev5 leave in situ with the RD but get new one for the stage & c1 according to nord books there are options in the menu for Fatar , Ernie Ball, Yamaha & Roland. The ernie Ball type apparently get reconfigured within the nords from

log scaling to linear but will need a Y cable..

I think I will try out the fc7 as it seems a to be well liked.

Archived