Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Programs for slowing music in key

trader56

Hi All,

Saw an ad in the latest GP magazine for a program that slows music stored on yuor computer.

Are these mp3 files?

Are there programs yuo guys like that slow songs, but keep them in the same key as they were originally?

Thanks again to the experts here!

Dave

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you use Windows, you can use Windows Media Player to slow the music down without changing the key.

I use this all the time to learn tunes. It's a great tool both for learning the tunes and improving the ear.

There are better tools you can buy but this one will do in a pinch.

Just to let you know trader56, I just upgraded to version 11 of Windows Media Player and I can't seem to find this feature allthough I've used it in previous versions.

So if you're using version 11 and get it to work it'd help me if you could post how you got it to work.

I remember in the past when I used this feature it only worked on the files I ripped from a CD into media player. It won't work if you are playing a CD.

Rob Robitaille

Just to let you know trader56, I just upgraded to version 11 of Windows Media Player and I can't seem to find this feature allthough I've used it in previous versions.

So if you're using version 11 and get it to work it'd help me if you could post how you got it to work.

I remember in the past when I used this feature it only worked on the files I ripped from a CD into media player. It won't work if you are playing a CD.

Rob,

In Media Player, click on 'View', scroll down to 'Enhancements', and select 'Play Speed'. A bar will open up on the bottom of the screen allowing you to slow down or speed up the playback without affecting pitch.

You are right, you have to rip the files to your hard drive first, you can't use this feature on a CD.

"I'm very easy to please. I just want everyone in the palm of my hand."

--Duke Ellington

Rob,

In Media Player, click on 'View', scroll down to 'Enhancements', and select 'Play Speed'. A bar will open up on the bottom of the screen allowing you to slow down or speed up the playback without affecting pitch.

You are right, you have to rip the files to your hard drive first, you can't use this feature on a CD.

Thanks Funkwire, got it

Rob Robitaille

Yo Zub.....lovin' the new avatar!!! LOL.... How are ya doing, friend???

Open your windows media player, and look at the very top bar (just under the header "Windows Media Player") and the second word in from the left is "view". Click on "view", and a pull down will have "enhancements" (the 7th down). Go to "enhancements" with your cursor, and a side bar pull down will have "Play Speed Settings", which is the 6th one down.

I've never used it, and didn't know it was there, till I read this thread. I asked my 14 y.o. resident "Eric Clapton" (i.e. youngest son....LOL), and he said "oh yea, I know it's there, but I don't need it."......Kids these days!!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Also found it in Quicktime Pro. Don't know about the regular QT version. It also has a pitch shift slider.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I asked my 14 y.o. resident "Eric Clapton" (i.e. youngest son....LOL), and he said "oh yea, I know it's there, but I don't need it."......Kids these days!!!

lol The little smart arse! :grin:

(im not sure if you use that saying in the states, but its not meant to be insulting)

Funk,

I have Ver 10 and can not find a VIEW option anywhere.

Peace

Zuben! I had the same problem. Just right click on the words "Media Player" on the top left of the page, then go to view, then "enhancments", then play speed. Also in the view mode if you click on "Classic Menus" it will put View on your toolbar.

Fernando

Fernando

If you can't say it in 12 bars... then it can't be said!

I asked my 14 y.o. resident "Eric Clapton" (i.e. youngest son....LOL), and he said "oh yea, I know it's there, but I don't need it."......Kids these days!!!

lol The little smart arse! :grin:

(im not sure if you use that saying in the states, but its not meant to be insulting)

LOL....yea, he is most definately a smart arse, ass, you name it!!! And, he can play, too!! I just hate it when he corrects me while I'm playing something, and shows me THE RIGHT WAY TO PLAY IT!! LOL

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Picker - Quicktime Pro (don't know about regular QT because I have upgraded).

Window-->Show A/V Controls-->Playback Speed (or Command-K)

Minus 1/2x to plus 4x

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived