Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Best Family Dogs

Warthog

Our dog died of cancer about 4 months ago. She was a mutt who was a Benji clone and definitely a family member. I got her before my wife and I were married and we had her for 11 & 1/2 years. She was well-loved by all 4 kids and my wife especially. She (the dog) was a constant companion through all my times away from home. My wife is lonely since the dog died and I am thinking of adopting a new dog. My wife's birthday is coming up and though I am in no hurry, I'd like to have a semi-decision made by then. I intend to adopt from a reputable breeder.

I am seriously, very seriously, considering a collie. Anyone care to comment or suggest a great breed?? I am open to suggestions, but the breed must be good with kids and attaractive (i.e.: no pugs, bulldogs, or poodles). Sorry, you owners of aforementioned breeds!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Labs..in fact I like big dogs....but they all seem to get hip problems or other issues....from my experience anyway.

I would be inclined to consider a Fox Terrier or Jack Russel for a next family pet. A smaller animal that has energy and likes to do things and is a bit easier to handle, get in the car, etc. I would be leery about the yipping though, that drives me nuts.

I also like those Aussie sheep dogs, they are kinda expensive I think.

My wife likes chows, Akita's etc...but I am done with big hairy, shedding dogs.

BTW, I am sorry about your dog dying. I have lost two in the last couple years or so.

I myself have owned three Dobermans. Our current dobie is eight years old and is an excellent family dog. We got him when our daughter was nine years old. Many people only know of the 'old" reputation of the breed. These dogs are loyal companions, brave protectors, wonderful with children, and have more love to give than any other breed I know of. One last thing. This is the only breed that was bred for the sole purpose of human companion.

Fernando

Fernando

If you can't say it in 12 bars... then it can't be said!

We have two dogs at the moment, a German Shepherd mix and a Labradoodle (for those who don't know, the breed is a cross between a labrador and a poodle.) Both are great dogs. Wonderful temperments, both very smart, a joy to be around. Good with the kids.

By the way, before you go to a breeder, might I suggest that you go to the shelter first? All of the dogs I've ever owned have been dogs from the pound, or from a rescue, and you could very easily find your next pup there. If you are looking for a specific breed, look on line, as there are plenty of breed specific shelters.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Best of luck looking for your (and your family's) best friend. Let us know how the search goes.

John

Dobermans and Labs, dogs I have not really considered. Duck, I agree, most dobermans have bad raps. I can remmeber one from a paper route when I was 12 (shudder!). Labs?? definitely a candidate. My only concern is their size. Care to comment on a particular breed?? Chocolate? Black? Lab retriever?...

We have two dogs at the moment, a German Shepherd mix and a Labradoodle (for those who don't know, the breed is a cross between a labrador and a poodle.) Both are great dogs. Wonderful temperments, both very smart, a joy to be around. Good with the kids.

By the way, before you go to a breeder, might I suggest that you go to the shelter first? All of the dogs I've ever owned have been dogs from the pound, or from a rescue, and you could very easily find your next pup there. If you are looking for a specific breed, look on line, as there are plenty of breed specific shelters.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Best of luck looking for your (and your family's) best friend. Let us know how the search goes.

Jbote, I have fond memories of my grandmother's dog, a German Shepherd. That's a definite possibility I haven't thought of. Yes, I've considered shelters. Our last dog, possibly the best dog a family could ever ask for, was a mutt about to be put down. Hard to belive that a dog like this brought so much joy to our family for so many years!

Dobermans: I was once watching a program about them, and the narrator explained that the problem with Dobermans is that they're WAY too clever and in tune with their owners.

So, if the owner is not a nice guy, the dog will be just like him, or worse. But it's not a fault of the breed, the dog is just trying to fit in, and please the owner. In the right home, a doberman is a fantastic dog.

Terriers in general: I've heard that they can be a bit crazy. Not that they'd harm kids or anything, but they have a lot of energy, and like to be in charge.

Speaking of Australian dogs, I had one of these, once. Fantastic, clever, dog, but a real pain to own. :grin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_heeler

Dobermans: I was once watching a program about them, and the narrator explained that the problem with Dobermans is that they're WAY too clever and in tune with their owners.

So, if the owner is not a nice guy, the dog will be just like him, or worse. But it's not a fault of the breed, the dog is just trying to fit in, and please the owner. In the right home, a doberman is a fantastic dog.

Terriers in general: I've heard that they can be a bit crazy. Not that they'd harm kids or anything, but they have a lot of energy, and like to be in charge.

Speaking of Australian dogs, I had one of these, once. Fantastic, clever, dog, but a real pain to own. :grin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_heeler

Australian shepherds? I've been considering them, along with collies, shelties, German shepherds, border collies, and cocker spaniels...

HOUNDS!! Basset Hounds to be specific, OR their big counsin..Blood Hounds! Wonderful sweet dispositions, great with kids and your best and most faithful buddies!! Remember, they are two dogs long and a half a dog tall!! :)

And....they also leave a gallon of slobberspit everywhere they go LOL.

HOUNDS!! Basset Hounds to be specific, OR their big counsin..Blood Hounds! Wonderful sweet dispositions, great with kids and your best and most faithful buddies!! Remember, they are two dogs long and a half a dog tall!! :)

And....they also leave a gallon of slobberspit everywhere they go LOL.

No they DO NOT!! they are very dry mouth dogs! well I don't know about Blood Hounds but Bassetts don't!! :)

http://www.spotcheckbilly.com/bag.jpg

If you have a semi large back yard, danes are the greatest family gog you will ever own. It is amazing to see a 160 pound dane, lay next to my grandaughter and keep an eye on her, get up and gently walk around her.

My wife's cats, sleep with my female dane. it is a sight to see. Great protection too. No one would dare walk in the house but if they did, I wonder which one of the two of them would show them where the money and jewels were first! LOL

They are inceredible gentle, once grown, eat very little, are free eaters, do not like the outside unless you are with them. Smart. Very smart. Easy to train. My 2 year old grandaughter tortures them and they just lay there and love it.

They aren't for everyone but the are entertaing, loyal, friendly, gentle and even for their size, fantastic with kids.

Now if you are looking for a lap dog or a dog to share the bed, forget that!

Peace

http://www.spotcheckbilly.com/bag.jpg

If you have a semi large back yard, danes are the greatest family gog you will ever own. It is amazing to see a 160 pound dane, lay next to my grandaughter and keep an eye on her, get up and gently walk around her.

My wife's cats, sleep with my female dane. it is a sight to see. Great protection too. No one would dare walk in the house but if they did, I wonder which one of the two of them would show them where the money and jewels were first! LOL

They are inceredible gentle, once grown, eat very little, are free eaters, do not like the outside unless you are with them. Smart. Very smart. Easy to train. My 2 year old grandaughter tortures them and they just lay there and love it.

They aren't for everyone but the are entertaing, loyal, friendly, gentle and even for their size, fantastic with kids.

Now if you are looking for a lap dog or a dog to share the bed, forget that!

Peace

No! Lap dogs rot! I don't want a spoiled, roten dog like you describe. Thanks for the insight. I will be sure to post photos once I make a decision...

When we have stopped roaming we're going to have at least one retired greyhound. There was a BBC program recently which found out that about 12000 racing dogs are put down every year by the age of 4.

I'll take at least one.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

We had Collies, Beagles, Dachsunds. Dobes, and a German Shepherd -all great dogs with great dispositioins. The Dachsunds were around the longest, but they're retards compared to Dobes. My sister had a Border Collie a long time, and it was an excellent dog. I like huge dogs like Danes, Ridgebacks, and Irish Wolfhounds. but you're after something smaller. Terriers tend not to shed, especially curly haired ones. I don't think Aerdales shed, and they're a smart, medium sized dog. Lapdogs drive me nuts.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Golden Lab... Soft mouths, great with kids, love water, short hair, loyal to a fault... Yes, they can have hip problems as mine does but his brothers and sisters don't...A quick x-ray when young will show... And DON'T let em get fat... Excercise is good for them AND you.... A fishing guide gave him to me (free? Ha!) when he was 5 weeks old and he's already cost me a bundle but worth every cent... I'm on the water almost everyday so I needed a water dog... The last shot was as a youngun trying to learn my pedal board...

One suggestion... Check the shelters... There's alot of dogs in there that need homes and one just might catch your heart...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/S4300003.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/P1290001.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/P6140004.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/P9280011.jpg

The last shot was as a youngun trying to learn my pedal board... http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/P9280011.jpg

So! Was he a humbucker pup or a singlecoil? ;)

He was a 'Hump'bucker but I had him nutted so he's a single coil hound now...

And like Craig said, get a male? If you do make sure you whack dem' jewels off... Unless you're gonna breed him...

I've had Cocker Spaniels in the past and they were really cool.

They really look good, they're smaller but with a big dog attitude.

Cockers are also about as loyal as they come.

I remember I gave my mom and dad one when I was 18.

About 18 years later they had to have it put to sleep due to old age and cancer I think. He was in bad shape.

The old man cried like a baby.

Hard not to get emotional when those things happen to a great family pet/family member.

"Just play!"

Male Lab. I agree with everything said about them so far. Wonderful, gentle dogs that are much like children in their disposition. I would look to a quality breeder that has a long history of breeding hunters. You can generally avoid hip and other health problems by making sure that there is no inbreeding. Ask for at least 7 generations of breeding history and ask to check out the parents. I would go with a family breeder and stay away from the puppy mill type.

Shelters are a wonderful idea but I wouldn't necessarily trust a pure-bred from one. I would look to a shelter for mutts (and that's not a bad thing at all).

Oh... I am definitely pre-disposed to male dogs as well. There's a reason they're called bitches.

Hey Wart...

Labs are the best family dog I've found. I'll have no other dog. Great with kids. They WANT to fit in, and become a part of your family. Great companions, and so beautiful. The most handsome face I've seen on a dog.

Probably best to get a black. Both yellows, and more so the choclates have been bred for color, and not always for temperment and other more important factors. The blacks are more likely the best overall choice. I've had many many dogs over the course of my life....bassetts, fox terrior, shepards, mutts, Bichons.....And, Labs are it.

Also, no one considers comming into our house. Between Angus, and my "arsnal" LOL.....we're safe!!

Here's Angus....he's a choclate, but I hunted far and wide to find a great breeder. He's a blast!

BTW....I'd only get a female, generally. They will not be as likely to run away. And, they seem to get along better. Angus is the alpha male, and that means that he and I occasionally CLASH!!! LOL. Invisible fence took care of him running away.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/mdrs1/AngusMay302005.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/mdrs1/Angus.jpg

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived