Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

squier affinity telecaster

Derrick1642607670

anyone ever play one? I went down to guitar center and that didnt have any so im waiting for an shipment (the guy said if I ordered one i'd have to pay for it now and if I didn't like it I wouldn't get all my money back ?) so I have yet to get to try one.

http://img3.guitarcenter.com/dbase/pics/products/0/5/5/272055.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had one that I sold on Ebay recently. The fret ends were not finished well at all, and it had so so tuners. It does sound like a Tele, but does not have a string thru body. It was well made though. I would look at the SX Teles on the Rondo Music site. I think you can get a better Tele from Rondo with a string through body for $125 with shipping!!! Rondo has the best customer service on the planet, and they have a butterscotch model.

I have a Squier Standard Tele which I've re-pickuped(!) with GFS Fatboy at neck & Fender 52 ReIssue at bridge, and set up properly.

It plays beautifully & sounds great (to me).

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Derrick, you gotta pick these puppies up and play them...you play them both acoustically and through an amp.

Even as a novice, and I say that without disrespect, you will know when a guitar feels right...it will call your name. It will feel good in your hands and will resonate.

Pick one up and make sure it is in tune. In fact get a tuner and tune it up, that right there will tell you a lot.Run your fretting hand up and down the neck, do you feel any frets sticking out on the sides that catch on your hand? Play a few notes without an amp, strum an E chord and hold it. Does the guitar seem to have any natural sustain, do the notes ring? Take each string and play every note up and back down the neck. Are there any buzzes or strings bottoming out...does each note ring? Heft the guitar by holding the body....does the balance feel good? Now plug it in and play it a bit. Any electrical buzzing over the top? Does it sound good to you...is it giving you anything. Also look for anything loose or not fitted well. Do a basic intonation check...play an open string and then fret the same string at the 12th fret....does it sound exactly the same in terms of pitch. If it is off you need to have the intonation set.

If the guitar does not grab you, walk away and look elsewhere. Take your time.

When you have a keeper you will know it.

Derrick one more thing and to everyone buying their first or second guitar actually, treat the guitar salesman with respect and have a good attitude and don't waste his/her time.......but absolutely EXPECT him to take care of you. That is their job. He should be totally willing to spend time with you, get you a chord or tuner, let you try a few guitars, hook up an amp for you and he should do it without any attitude. Any crap from him and you can quietly suggest to him that he seems pissed off and you don't want to bother him so perhaps you will go look for a guitar at another store or online.

I completely understand you fumbly, im just asking around here because I want to know the general opinion about them like incase there was a common problem with the model. I don't think that the different models are any better than the next, i've played squiers that feel nicer than fenders and mim fenders better than americans, I just think alot of the fender guitars arent consistent enough in quality. Anyways thats just me, thanks for the advice guys.

As far I know, the "Affinity" series is the cheap version of the Squier, which is the cheap version of the Fenders, which have cheap versions already, ie the MIMs.

So... if you have that in mind, and don't expect it to be The Greatest Guitar Ever , it might be ok.

Archived