Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mesa Express 5:25

Hound Dog

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played through a Lonestar Special that could be set up for a clean 15 or 30 watt class AB for using pedals on one channel and a high gain 5 watt class A straight-in on the other channel. Suhweeeet!

The 5:25 and 5:50 look like the class A switch might be global, and not per-channel? I can't find any closeups of the entire back panel...

Bluesape, :confused: You can't seriously compare a Fender amp straight up to a Mesa. The Fenders aren't even in the same league.

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

I'll have to echo ellwoods sentiments. I've been somewhat underwhelmed with Mesa. They are great amps. But, I think they lack in character, however. Perhaps they sound too clean, or tonally neutral???

I have played that Lonestar Special. If I was going to own a Mesa, that would be it....it's a very cool amp.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

"You can't seriously compare a Fender amp straight up to a Mesa"

Sure you can! Depends on which Fender your comparing it too.

Yup - you'd have a hard time gettin' 2 to 3 times the price of a small Fender tube amp outta me and lots of others. Mesas are great, but the ones I've sampled aren't as great as the hype and legend of the brand.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Don't wanna sound like I'm down on Mesas, I just find them to be very pricey units that I've never been able to dial in to my satisfation. Given more time with one, I'm sure that would change, but I don't find their controls intuitive, which can become troublesome in a jam setting, where ya got 10-15 seconds to tune up and find your sound.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Obviously I'm talking about the current crop of Fenders, not some vintage 50's model.

The smallish Fenders they put out now are hardly stellar. I've had two MIM Blues Deluxes in the past three weeks, both dead in a few days. I believe Hardtail here is having similar fun with a Twin. I don't know, is Fenders skipping QA entirely? Is that the latest cost cutting measure? :mad:

And as far as features are concerned, unfortunately Fender hasn't had any new ideas for their tube amps in a long time. It slays me they still make some pro tube models without a proper effects loop. Definitely nothing like Mesa is pioneering.

So, no, from a features or quality or customer support perspective, the new MIM Fenders don't hold a candle to the Mesas.

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

I'm with John on this one, even though I'm not a huge Mesa fan. The Lonestar, however, is a smoking amp and Fender hasn't introduced a "new" amp in years that can hold it's own with it. Some of ther re-issue amps are still really good, but they aren't 1/3 the price of a mesa. Fender has shifted it's focus to mid to low price point consumers for their new products and are content to re-issue classic designs for their professional gear. Which is fine by me, cause they really got it right in the begining. But there is no comparison between their budget amps, and amps by companies like Mesa. And really there isn't supposed to be.

I agree with that, Soul. Really comparing Mesa with the average Fender of today is really apples to oranges.

I don't agree with the notion that because Mesa has put "innovations" into their amps that that necessarily makes them better. Personally, I prefer a simplier amp. I have a very real sense that the more bells and whistles you put into an amp (multiple channels, and all the "extras"), that the overall tone qualities tend to suffer. So you end up with a fancy amp loaded with all sorts of adjustments, at the price of what you really want out of an amp.....quality tone. I'm not saying Mesa doesn't have quality tone. I just find that simple amps sound better, as a broad generalization.

My main amp for a long long time was a Mesa Mark IV. Very versitile, multi channel amp, with effects loop, etc. etc.. Frankly, there were TOO many possible adjustments. It was way too complex for my liking. And, once I had my first JCM-800, I just never was satisfied with the Mark IV tone pallet anymore.

I've tried many different new Fender amps in the past five years. They were really good, each and every one. I never had one break down on me (although I took delivery of a Blues Jr. who's reverb never worked, right out of the box...they sent me a new one that's fine). But, once I discovered OLD Fender combos, I sold all the new ones. I've not yet heard any amps that sparkle, and chime like a good old Fender Combo. Perhaps my favorite of all my old Fender combos, is a Blackface Champ I got on eBay for less than $600. It was made in April 1965. It's an incredible little amp!!!

Anyway.....I'm NOT a Mesa hater!! LOL I've toyed with the idea of buying a Lonestar Speical.....I might yet!! I also like the Rivera Clubster/Pubsters.....they rock!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Doc, they had a '66 blackface Champ at the Guitar Center up here about a month ago for $500. It sounded sooooo sweet. I should have bought it. I wonder if it's still there.

I used to have a Mesa .50 caliber combo amp. I recently sold it. I dont really like the gain staging of most Mesa's, it's just not for me. I'm kind of looking at buying a new main amp around the end of the year, so I've been trying to play as many different ones as I can. I was impressed with the Lonestar, it's kinda of like a Mesa for those that don't like that signature Mesa cascading preamp sound. I probably won't go that route though. Right now I'm leaning towards a Matchless Chieftan or DC-30. I'll probably change my mind a thousand times before I pull the trigger though.

Archived