Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The 60's are BACK!!

Judging from the new fashions I'm seeing in New York and in the windows of prominent stores like Bloomingdale's, I'm guessing that 60's style - or the lack thereof - is about to make a comeback. I'm seeing lots of hip-hugger pants, plumy jackets, and other psychadelic phenomena. If you don't believe me, check out the promotional photo for Britney Spears' HBO special. She apparently stole one of Elvis' jumpsuits, high collar and all. So here's what I'm wondering: is a resurgence of 60's MUSIC also likely. The Beatles' One was the biggest selling album of the year. Bob Dylan wrote several new songs for last year's 'Wonder Boys' movie. The Who kicked butt at the benefit concert. Hendrix has never really gone out of style. Who knows? The next Woodstock might actually be peaceful...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, I wouldn't complain if that happened! And just to help jump start the new trend, our band just did a cover of this [url=http://lflier.home.mindspring.com/Here_Without_You.mp3]Byrds tune[/url] , not to mention we feature several great obscure 60's tunes in our live set. There has actually been a "paisley underground" here in Atlanta for a couple of years so it's nice to see the rest of the world finally catching up with us. :D F'r instance, check out my friends [url=http://www.orangehat.com]Orange Hat[/url] , they are one of the most respected bands here and have been for awhile. --Lee [ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Lee Flier ]

I thought the '60s already came back... like in the '80s? Maybe the whole Austin Powers thing has had a bigger influence on pop culture than I thought... My guess is that the '80s will be making a comeback in the next few years... I've heard that there are actual [i]breakdancing[/i] clubs at colleges now... Duran Duran is no longer looked at by critics as flash-over-substance, but as what substance might sound like should it crack the Top 40... I know that interest in "old school" video games is fairly high among video game folks... There's a [url=http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=9676]Goonies sequel in production[/url] ... E.T. is being [url=http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=10612]re-released to theaters as a "special edition"[/url] ... Not to mention that those who grew up in the '80s are probably the demographic that currently spends the most on pop culture fluff stuff... :eek:

[b]I've heard that there are actual breakdancing clubs at colleges now...[/b] the 80's is the next big thing..... my younger brother born in 1980 started a break dance club at his school 2 years ago. when i was on a tour last fall these kids just freaked on my guitar playing saying i was soooooo 80's....i always thought i was more 60's and 70's ...made me feal a bit old :eek: ...but hey play a few solo's and yer 80's ;) [ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: spacebass ]

[quote]Originally posted by spacebass: [b]the 80's is the next big thing.....[/b][/quote] Things must be a little behind in Chicago (why am I not surprised?) The 80's revival has been going on for about five years. No surprise here, as the 80's were synonymous with making money, and people had a lot of money until the tech wreck. Easy listening stations are now focusing on 80's music, which hopefully means that the fad is on its way out. About two years ago, the 70's started staged a brief comeback. Bell bottoms everywhere. Funk on the radio. The HIV paranoia settled down at last and people started leading more adventurous lifestyles. The 60's thing is just starting to gain momentum. It makes sense. The world is in tumult once again. Conspicuous consumption seems less important than our ideological and political concerns. Young people are facing their own mortality in a big way, and they're inclined to have some fun while they still can. Sound familiar? Now all we need is a British Invasion.

I don't want a new group to SOUND like the Beatles. But it might be fascinating to see a group come out with a fresh approach AND be wildly successful. When was the last time THAT happened? The Police? U2? The Police were fun and they made money with a unique sound, but they didn't influence anyone else to follow their lead. Nirvana and NIN were influential, but they weren't successful with wide audiences, i.e. they didn't make a lot of cash. Who SINCE the Beatles has succeeded in all of the areas that the Beatles have? It's been forty years. I've gotta think that someone new is getting ready to take the world by storm.

[b]Things must be a little behind in Chicago (why am I not surprised?) [/b]... well my little bro lives and goes to school in seattle :) and is from buffalo ny originally. it's funny most of the music i make people tell me that it is about 5 years ahead of the curve...and i live in chicago go figure? in fact all the good music from chicago that people steal and call there own is at least 5 years ahead of the time...starting with muddy and the electric blues...er i mean "rock and roll" all the way up to house...er i mean eltronica ;)

Sorry to bring it up but one thing that is certainly similar to the sixties is that there is a big war. I'm sure you all were thinking of this too but I couldn't help mentioning it since it is a big parallel. I hope it plays out better than the Vietnam war did though. I also hope that it doesn't end up dividing the country like the Vietnam War did. One thing that occurs to me is that The Sixties climate was as much responsible for the fame of The Beatles as their talent was. I remember how much I wanted to be a part of the "alternative" culture which they and so many other artists represented. I can remember getting heckled on the street and was even attacked once for having long hair. Now I just wish I had hair at all! It's hard to imagine music being so new ever again like it was in those days. The technology was just exploding and there were so many ways to explore new territory. Very few artists seem willing to take any risks these days but there are always a few brave ones thankfully. Seems like in the sixties though being avant garde was the norm. Art will never die though it will only go underground. [ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: gtrmac@hotmail.com ]

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b]Ahh -- but we've been through talk of another British invasion thing before... Remember the hype behind Oasis/Pulp?[/b][/quote] If there was hype, it was purely American companies looking for a marketing angle. I think one of the things that distinguished the “britpop” movement was that it was single-focused, not album-focused, and the artists were celebrating British culture and did not have success in the US as one of their goals.
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

[quote]Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com: [b] Things must be a little behind in Chicago (why am I not surprised?) The 80's revival has been going on for about five years. ...The 60's thing is just starting to gain momentum.[/b][/quote] damn, that puts you about 5 years behind my town [if not longer]. 60's have been in full action here, lots of dope smokers and hippies, girls with hairy armpits and no bra on ;) , hallucinogens, tripped out live music... [ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: alphajerk ]

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by gtrmac@hotmail.com: [b]Very few artists seem willing to take any risks these days but there are always a few brave ones thankfully.[/b][/quote] What, you mean like Cher and her Auto-Tune? ;)

I should have just called this thread "the 60's". Then, when you post, the MP web server would give you this message: Sit tight... We are taking you back to: the 60's! :) Far out, man! [ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: dansouth@yahoo.com ]

[quote]Originally posted by halljams: [b]I was born in 67 but am not much of a sixties fan. Seems to me there were way more ground breaking bands in the 70's. Wasn't it just, like Pat Boone and shit before Jimi Hendrix? Oh, i made myself laugh.[/b][/quote]Don't think so. Gues you'd have to clarify "ground breaking" in this context, but here's a shortlist of groundbreakers I recall, with quite a few emulators in the 70's and beyond (and since you mentioned Pat who's not a band a few non-bands are here) ... Vanilla Fudge Chicago Sly and The Family Stone The Delphonics Credence Clearwater Revival Sam and Dave Isaac Hayes (style forerunner of the inimitable Barry White) The Rascals The Lovin Spoonful The Impressions The Four Tops The Four Seasons The Band Bob Dylan Bread The Bar-kays The Temptations O.C. Smith Meatloaf James Brown (and the Flames) Show Band Tommy James and the Shondells ...did I mention The Beatles and Rolling Stones?
-- Music has miracle potential --

As much as I loved the dynamics of the 60's, two huge realities mainly absent today would keep a true 60's revival from blooming – social injustice and poverty. Back then we'd started a “space race” with Russia but basic inequities existed for most citizens, and especially minority Americans – and from maids and gardeners to professors, entertainers and graduate students the spirit of “people want to be free” (thanks, Rascals) was in the air. Today's social climate is mostly day-and-night different (officially and on the surface) , except in certain remote locations I'm aware of that seem to be lost in time. Also I remember when a good yuppie middle-class annual income was $12,000. Of course a great new car was $3, 000 __ 3 month's pay. You'd have to be pulling $80,000 today for that ratio to hold, and most people aren't doing it. Still, economic illusions and available money being what they are today, most pro audio youngsters can spend $4,000 on the latest gear every few months like it was “milk money”. No way that was happening in the 60's. It seems most post-babyboomers stepped out of suburbia's lap into adulthood never having to lack or struggle for anything weighty. So affluence and social freedom today might obviate embracing the spirit of commitment to struggle that was normal for many in those times, and make a return to the 60's more like a wonderful Penny Lane museum trip. Would be nice if I were wrong about that.
-- Music has miracle potential --

[quote]Originally posted by lovesinger: [b]Don't think so. Gues you'd have to clarify "ground breaking" in this context, but here's a shortlist of groundbreakers I recall, with quite a few emulators in the 70's and beyond (and since you mentioned Pat who's not a band a few non-bands are here) ... Vanilla Fudge Chicago Sly and The Family Stone The Delphonics Credence Clearwater Revival Sam and Dave Isaac Hayes (style forerunner of the inimitable Barry White) The Rascals The Lovin Spoonful The Impressions The Four Tops The Four Seasons The Band Bob Dylan Bread The Bar-kays The Temptations O.C. Smith Meatloaf James Brown (and the Flames) Show Band Tommy James and the Shondells ...did I mention The Beatles and Rolling Stones?[/b][/quote] I feel ashamed to have forgotten Motown and the 60's Funk, but the others, not so much. And i could have sworn Chicago was a 70's band. I really dig all that big band rock and roll stuff... Blood Sweat& tears, Lighthouse, Chicago etc. I know the Beetles cause that was the band that Ring Star was in, right? Who are THE ROLLING STONES?

[quote]Originally posted by lovesinger: [b]As much as I loved the dynamics of the 60's, two huge realities mainly absent today would keep a true 60's revival from blooming – social injustice and poverty.[/b][/quote] I guess I can see which side of the growing social divide you live on. While there are more toys available today there is a higher percentage of people living in poverty today than in the full employment 60s. Tiger Woods is still rewriting the rules of ethnic membership of certain exclusive golf clubs. Overall I think that VCRs & mobile phones are a much more obvious difference from the 60s than any perceived absence of inequality or social injustice Whether it's a 60s or an 80s revival is in the eye of the beholder when you think that much of the eighties was an attempt to go beyond punk that often involved a 60s revival. Kind of ironic (Alanis Morrisette smiley) when you think that punk was based largely on 60s musical styles to rebel against disco. Peace

[quote]Originally posted by stanner: [b]"YOU CANT HANDLE THE 60S!!"[/b][/quote] Neither could Lee Harvey Oswald. . . . But he sure knew how to rock!!!! . . . [img]http://floydtribute.hpwebhost.com/nss-folder/pictures/oswald.jpg[/img]
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Archived