Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mixer post

rugge78

Goodmorning to all.

I'm a new.

I have a question. I own both a laptop mixer Phonic M1202a and a rack Behringer Rx1602.

Which do you suggest to bring to live?

Phonic M1202a has balanced out but has to sit on the ground on some suitcases.

Behringer Rx1602 is much more elegant but it's the only rack gear in my setup...

tell me

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've really grown to dislike rack stuff, I'm sure other guys have different opinions. That doesn't mean I don't use rack mounted stuff, just that I don't like it. Invariably, the rack winds up somewhere thats either hard to see or hard to access.

That said, I'd take a rack ANYDAY over dragging a laptop computer on stage. If you are going the laptop route, I'd offer two suggestions. 1) Make sure you have a functional backup laptop (same software, settings, hardware, etc. already installed and ready to go). 2) Make sure you can do everything you need to do (and quickly) without the unit if its broken, stolen, locked up, etc.

My two cents...

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Can't put the rack on top of your amp? I guess you could put the tabletop mixer on the amp too. You've probably already thought of that. Do you need constant access to the mixer? I usually set mine up on top of my speaker cabs and leave it unless I need to pull a quick tweak here or there, but I don't have to constantly ride anything.

Kanker's got a good suggestion in that sometimes keyboards afford enough real estate to accomodate a mixer. I can sometimes get away with using the top left corner of my Motif for such a purpose, as long as I don't need to access the octave buttons.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Firstly, I've never seen someone use a mixer on their lap, so I'm not sure how accurate the term "laptop mixer" is. That being said, you could get a small, inexpensive X-Stand, a small piece of dark-coloured shelving from your local Wal-Mart that's deep enough to support the mixer, and use that as a portable table. Would look a heck of a lot more professional on stage than a couple of road cases stacked on one another.

Of course, aesthetics vary based on the gig, so... YMMV with this suggestion. Just another dish for the "food for thought" buffet. ;)

Archived