Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

effect racks? & racks in general?

Derrick1642607670

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still stuck in the late 80s, so I only use rack gear.

Sold all my Boss pedals. As usual, I'm out of style with most here. :grin:

I hate having a bunch of pedals on the floor with cords inbetween. A total mess! Even with a pedalboard, you have to

dance to change multiple pedals at once. I like having a single MIDI device selecting presets which changes a lot of parameters at one time. The only exception is the volume pedal and a Wah, which I have yet to hear a good rack emulation.

That Boss unit looks sweet...wish I had it in the early 80s.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Yeah, I've had all kinds of pedals to include the GT-6.

The BOSS GT-8 would be all you need and you wouldn't even need a rack, unless you just wanted one.

To be honest, over the years I've found that LESS is MORE.

You've got to ask yourself...just exactly how many effects do you need....totally or for any given patch.

Remember, the less between your guitar and amp, the better quality the signal is....or at least in my opinion.

Just food for thought. :)

Randy

"Just play!"

I always thought the rack stuff looked really practical. I mean, quick and easy set-up, no little patch cords to flake out on you in the middle of a gig, a nice clean stage at your feet with just a midi controller, no long cable runs for the FX loop, etc. But when the rubber met the road, I gotta say that cutting effects in and out during a song by kicking a pedal or two was a heck of a lot easier than programming another patch and remembering where it was. I tried it with a couple of Digitech boxes, an Alesis Midiverb IV(best of the bunch for me), and a Line 6 POD with floorboard, and I went back to pedals. I guess it just works for me.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Here's my floor-based multi-effects device...

http://www.juhnke.com/mike/Board3.jpg

Nice individual units, but....uh....that's exactly why I have rack gear now.

:grin:

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Here's my floor-based multi-effects device...

http://www.juhnke.com/mike/Board3.jpg

Is that a Real McCoy Wah pedal?

It's actually a Teese Wheels of Fire wah. It totally nails the "Rainy Day, Dream Away" thing right outta the box.

I wish I still had the Teese (old pic...). I've gone back to using my ancient Vox V847 wah, which was the first pedal I bought back in 1977. It's taken 30 years of me standing on it, and still sounds great...

I have a couple of rack units I use for echo, chorus and flanger. I run the line out of a Hotplate through them, and then re-amp the signal with a Peavey 50/50 tube power amp.

But there ain't no rack unit made that can sound like a Big Muff or a Fuzz Face straight in the front of an old 4-input Marshall, so I gotta have them on the floor...

I'm still stuck in the late 80s, so I only use rack gear.

Sold all my Boss pedals. As usual, I'm out of style with most here.

All my stuff is in 8 rack spaces, except for a Barber Tone Press & a Boss chorus on a pedal board with 3 volume pedals, which do the routing to all the rack gear. It works great for me, but it's not a rock & roll set up at all. There's something very nice about having all the wiring in place & not having to spend a lot of time setting up at the gig. I also don't like having to lean over & do all my knob twisting on the floor. The racks are right next to me at chest height, so adjustments are fairly easy.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

The only pedals where I need to monkey with the knobs during a show I have mounted on a music stand where I can get at them. Otherwise the ones on my board, I pretty much set 'em and forget 'em.

And yeah, the whole point of a pedal board is for the ease of setup...

I was just trying to inject some humor when I first posted the pic of my (admittedly ridiculous) pedalboard. If you prefer the sound of rack stuff, go for it.

Yep having the effects controls at waist ht. is a good thing, but other than that where's allot of time spent setting up a peddle board? ...one in one out, thats it, or am I misunderstanding this?

I see what you mean. A lot of the guys here in LA doing the experimental electronics thing like me just show up with an armload of pedals & configure it all differently for each gig. In their case, I think, having a different set up each night is part of the challenge of doing free improv music. Personally, I like having the rack all wired & ready to go. There are enough variables as it is, just existing on the fretboard.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived