Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lock up your GEAR!

Strategery

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned how to pick locks as a kid. (Not for criminal reasons, but because locks fascinate me). Back then, locks were just as easy to pick, plus lock bumping was around.

The problem is, this is becoming an craze on the internet. That means that it moves away from something that was done by locksmiths and folks like me that love locks, into something that every single criminal (and bored teenager) out there suddenly has access to.

Making the key is as easy as filing down the valleys on a regular key, so they are all flat and leaving sloped "peaks" in between.

Very scary indeed. My advice is to buy a good lock, that can't be bumped.

Yeah, I keep a 12-guage with a *barely* legal barrel loaded with 00 buckshot for home defense purposes. I don't want to have to take time to aim....I just want a dead intruder on the floor. However, I'm not always home....nobody I know is, and burglars usually try to pick times when nobody is around. So, I'll be going today to buy bump-proof deadbolts.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Hardtail,

Yes...perfect. Some punk wanna "acquire" some of my stuff by picking locks?

How's about a GAU-8 30MM depleted Uranium round....or 70 per second???

http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2003/Rokke-Depleted-Uranium-DU21apr03h.gif

Hardtail,

Yes...perfect. Some punk wanna "acquire" some of my stuff by picking locks?

How's about a GAU-8 30MM depleted Uranium round....or 70 per second???

http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2003/Rokke-Depleted-Uranium-DU21apr03h.gif

Now you're making an old ordnance guy salivate. LOL!

This is what I want.. when it becomes available. :(

Shouldn't be long. Can you imagine? No moving parts. The gun can only be fired by its owner and you have the choice between lethal force and firing stun-gun like bean-bags without reloading.

Metal Storm electronic firing weapons are simply amazing. No moving parts other than the projectiles! (Well, they say that, but it does fire by a switch mounted like a typical trigger,so that moves a little. ;) )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

This is what I want.. when it becomes available. :(

Shouldn't be long. Can you imagine? No moving parts. The gun can only be fired by its owner and you have the choice between lethal force and firing stun-gun like bean-bags without reloading.

Metal Storm electronic firing weapons are simply amazing. No moving parts other than the projectiles! (Well, they say that, but it does fire by a switch mounted like a typical trigger,so that moves a little. ;) )

How cool is that!?! Certainly solves most of the problems, with gun ownership.

Not only that, Craig, but they've built this technology for a variety of ballistic weapons for hand and battlefield use. They have one weapon with multiple barrels that can shoot 1,000,000 rounds per minute! :eek: It was featured in one of the first episodes of Future Weapons on Discovery Channel.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

In our house we are armed not with locks but with Glocks! When we are away from home, we have an armed response security system service. If you make it past the alarm system we own three well trained Dobermans. If indeed you make it past them...help yourself! Better hurry, the armed response is just minutes away.

Fernando

If you can't say it in 12 bars... then it can't be said!

Well for martial arts, it`s good that this wasn`t more serious-I`m serious. If you really jack someone up you can end up in more trouble than they, depending on circumstances.

But yeah I`ve decided to spare no expense in preparing a really warm welcome for thieves. Japan is pretty safe as of now but if I move back, watch out scumdivers.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Interesting thread! Guitarist talking about their pistols! I guess our motto could be;

"Speak LOUDLY and carry a big PISTOL" LOL

I must have almost as many guns as guitars! Well, not quite....

Here's my latest in concealed carry;

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=9&productid=122

I have guns for hunting, shooting clay birds, and for fun. I RARELY carry a pistol, and don't really consider my guns as any form of protection for my house and home. I enjoy hunting with them, and I enjoy occasionally shooting them on my range. More often than we realize, plain old citizens like us who draw a weapon in a self defense situation, end up getting shot ourselves! The bad guys draw quicker than us usually! But, my guns are around and would potentially be a formidable deterant. And, if I had to use one on a bad guy, I personally would not hesitate AT ALL.

My real protection is a good security system, and a reinforced concrete walk in vault complete with a safe door I got from a friend who owns an old building that was a bank. So, someone might get me, get into my home, hell, they could burn the place down. But, they won't get my toys!!!

Oh, and did I mention that Angus doesn't like strangers....

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/mdrs1/Angus.jpg

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I got it because it's really small for a 40 cal.. So, If I wanted to, I can do the "conceal carry" thing pretty easy. I have a conceal carry licence, so I can legally do it. But, I rarely do.

Here's a funny (I guess) story. The alarm occasionally goes off at my main office, which is about 5 miles from my home. So, I'll head up to make sure no one has actually broken in. And, when I do this, I'll usually take a pistol. So, this one time I took my S&W 9mm semiauto (stainless). It's the same one that our FBI used to have as their standard sidearm, I'm pretty sure. Anyway, I go in, and turn the alarm off. I can quickly tell it's a false alarm. I sit down at the front desk, and put my pistol down on the counter in order to call the alarm company to let them know it's all clear. As I'm doing this, a State Trooper comes in the front door. Now, I'm thinking, here I sit, with my gun on the counter in front of me. And, I'm thinking SHIT, HE'S GOING TO SHOOT ME!! I quickly identified myself, and he was kind enought NOT to shoot me!!!

That's one example of why carring a gun may or MAY NOT help you out!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

I have a BUNCH of guns...handguns, rifles (rimfire and centerfire), shotguns, black powder guns....I have a Browning Hi-Power practical in 9mm for a carry gun and a Beretta .380 for a backup. I have a LOT of training...military, police and civilian. My opinion is that a handgun or rifle is less than optimal for home defense. Certainly better than nothing, but still less than optimal. Rifles are simply not maneuverable enough and, if they are scoped, they are just too difficult to use quickly and accurately in close quarters. The good thing about centerfire rifles is that a lucky center-mass hit is very, very effective. Handguns are better, but still not optimal. Many times a confrontation will occur in dark conditions and the intruder may be moving quickly. Both rifles and handguns (or any weapon that fires a single projectile, such as shotgun slugs) has the added problem of shoot-through. A centerfire rifle can easlily pass through several walls and can actually end up entering a neighboring home still carrying lethal velocity and energy. If we could neatly plan exactly where and when the intruder will be confronted, then any weapon would be OK. We can't do that, though.

That's why I prefer a short-barrelled shotgun with 00 Buckshot. You don't really need to be able to precisely aim. Up close, it is at least as devastating as a high-powered rifle and much more so than a handgun. At longer ranges that would be encountered in a home intrusion (less than 30 feet), you don't really need to be able to aim. Just point and shoot. There is much less chance for shoot-through.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

No question....short barrel shotgun is the best for home defensive purposes.

Just the noise it makes when you operate the pump may likely scare off any intruder.

And, the next sound they hear may be their last!

Don

In many cases, you actually have to hire a bio-cleanup company to do it. Sometimes, the coroner will give you the company's business card when he comes to pick up the body. It really, really makes a mess, especially with a shotgun or a head shot with a large caliber weapon. It seems like it would be a relatively easy thing, but you actually end up with blood, muscle tissue, bone fragments, brain tissue, hair, etc., embedded in the walls and wood work and sprayed all over the surface of the walls and everything in the path of the spatter pattern...it will be inside the cracks and crevices of televisions, appliances, lamps...whatever was there....possibly feces and urine on the floor. If you have carpet, it will have to be replaced. If you have hardwood floors, the blood leeches down into the grain and in between the boards. Most people just don't have the stomach to clean it up on their own, plus you will be pretty busy with the police for a while. It can cost several thousand dollars to have it done.

The decision to shoot someone has ramifications far beyond what you would imagine on the surface. It's better than letting an intruder harm you or your family, though.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Archived