Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One of these kids is doing it's own thing

This is a fun game. See if you can guess which of the three images is doing it's own thing! There are three rounds. Have fun!

Which is doing it's own thing?

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/comp2.jpg

A: The weasel with Bootsy fun-glasses and hat is doing it's own thing! The other two are basses!

I'll not give away the answer for the next two so as to heighten the excitement of this game.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/comp3.jpg

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/comp1.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going with B and B.

B is the best answer with basses because they start with a B. But then there is the B string to consider.

I guess before trying to answer I should ask... What does "doing its own thing" mean?

Sorry, I'm not good at games but I am interested in the answers.

2.B Is on a stand.

3.B Is leaning on a cabinet.

1.C Looks like someone I know.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I'll give it a try.

1 C - white background, the other two are black

2 A - carpet background, the other two are black

3 C - black background, the other two are carpet.

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

I choose C and C.

5 strings vs. a 7 string?

And wood grain vs white bass with pick guards?

I like doing my own thing!!!

:)

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Well, you're wrong from the get-go. The weasel isn't doing his own thing- he's doing Bootsy's thing.

2) A: It's got humbuckers (or at least soap-bars) rather than single coil pickups.

3) C: it's got a paint job, single coil pickups, a pickguard, and an extra string.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

2. is C

3. is C

They each have one more string than the two that preceed them.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Let's see, all the basses:

Cost more than $1000. (Some a lot more)

Made of wood. Magnetic pickups.

Reasonable amount of hand workmanship.

Have dials on the front.

Have metal bridges and tuning pegs.

Sound good in the right hands.

Some are inspired by the ideas of Leo and take them further.

Some follow in the footsteps of Ron and Susan Wickersham at Alembic and go in various directions. Whether or not that was the inspiration, I at least can see a family resemblance.

I've played all the brands shown and the Fender-looking ones have a lot of similarities in sound....and I'm sure that was intentional. The others do not have a similarity of sound to each other or to the "traditional-looking" ones. They each have their own sound and the ability to mess with it (and possibly come up with something new). But then again, the "traditional-looking" basses have preamps and the ability to change the sound.

The ones Willie picked are not neck-through. Maybe that's the answer Bumpcity is looking for.

As far as "doing it's own thing", there hasn't been an original bass in years.

The Steinberger was an original instrument that followed no previous pattern.

I'm getting a headache. All this debate about instruments that were invented in the middle of the last century is silly.

I play an electric bass because when I was 18, it looked like this was an instrument that belonged to my generation and the music I loved. I still feel that way, no matter what brand of electric (and how many strings) I am playing.

OK, this is my last try.

2. A & B are 5 strings, 2. C is a six

3. A & B are 4 strings, 3. C is a five

I guess that is what bottomgottom already said.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

OK. One of these basses is doing it's own thing.

http://www.geocities.com/kenfxj/basses.jpg

Hint: It's the P-Bass because it looks a lot like mine and it digs blondes - even ones behind bars.

Push the button Frank.

2. B

3. A

2B is tuned down a half tone, 3A down a full tone. If you zoom in really close you can see the difference in tension on the strings.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

2. B

3. A

2B is tuned down a half tone, 3A down a full tone. If you zoom in really close you can see the difference in tension on the strings.

....just count the windings on the strings

"But man it sounds soooooooo much better flat. I can't believe how much better it sounds." -- thabottomend

I'm confused. I expected the weasel to show up again in the second group, only with a pancake on it's head instead of the bootzilla stuff.

I guess I'd pick 2b and 3c because they are most Fender like. See Jeremy's explanation for the details.

I "went my own way" playing an EB3 for years (as do a few others here).

Thanks for having us look at some nice pics!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived