Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How are you at spotting Hair Bands?

Chunk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm embarrassed to say that I can't tell Cinderella from Poison!

I must say that Van Halen is NOT hair metal!!! Although, I do think that we have them to "thank" for hair metal. Neither is Aerosmith for that matter.

I feel a lot better now.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

I only missed one - G+R - and that's because Slash wasn't visible in the face blocked photo.

And I despise hair bands more than anyone on this entire forum. :sick:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I don't understand everyone's animosity for hairbands. I mean, honestly, of every genre of music to despise, you pick the one that has guitar solos and some semblance of talent (as opposed to say, punk or rap).

Of course, too much of anything is generally bad, but no one can deny they don't like at least one hair band song, even if you don't know it. For instance, Cinderella and Poison just plain suck. Overproduced guitars, vocals, and overall, generic 80s crap. But is there really something wrong with Def Leppard or Guns N' Roses? And I know everyone on here likes Van Halen, which I hate to break it to you, was a hairband at one point in its career (proof: the cheesy songs on the Top Gun soundtrack).

Not to mention, personally, I feel the same way about most of the music coming out of the 1960s that you people do about the 1980s. All I heard in high school constantly was Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. Quite frankly, I cannot stand either, but I'm not going to sit here and start a thread about how much they suck. So, let's grow up and move on with life. I know you all have better things to do than talk about Axel Rose's poor application of makeup and hairspray during the "Sweet Child O' Mine" video.

Anyway, I'm going to be a man and be the first to admit I like several hairbands. They are still way better than half the stuff coming out these days and as cliched and annoying as they probably were for you guys who were in your teens and twenties during the 1980s, for someone younger, they represent opportunities and sounds that just doesn't exist in modern music: decent guitar solos and vocals that are about more than how much we hate the world or how much the world owes us something (which is most music made post-Kurt Cobain).

Shut up and play.

(proof: the cheesy songs on the Top Gun soundtrack).

I can only guess you meant the cheesy songs on the Over The Top soundtrack. Eddie and Sammy did that real stinker "Winner Takes It All" for that movie. No one from VH was involved in the Top Gun soundtrack.

Regardless....

Def Leppard was the personification of everything I hated about the "Hair Metal" era - there was absolutely NOTHING "metal" about their sound, yet they were consistently slammed in everyone's faces as being one of the poster children for the entire genre. Hell, the Hysteria album consisted predominantly of tracks that could have easily fit in on an Adult Contemporary radio station - "Hysteria", "Animal", "Love Bites" - watered-down pop-rock trash.

The earliest iterations of the genre weren't absolutely terrible - stuff like early Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, and Twisted Sister (pre-1985 on both counts) amounted to a bunch of grade-A ugly bastards wearing ridiculous costumes and playing aggressive yet decidedly tongue-in-cheek anthem rock. Silly, but still fun.

The whole genre became a self-caricature by 1987, with the likes of Warrant, Enuff'Z'Nuff, Britney Fox, Great White, just a never-ending parade of misogynistic no-talent chodes shaking their asses and singing vacuous songs about sex and bad relationships. I blame Ratt, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi for this wave of fruit loops - the whole destruction of the genre was rooted in the selling of sex over substance, and these three were the ringleaders...

Most hairbands had catchy tunes and fun times.

The only good bands in the 90s were like Alice In Chains or Soundgarden...Nirvana blew chunks. :P

The only really bad hair band was this invasion.

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/bandpics/vinnievincent.jpg

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

"{ don't understand everyone's animosity for hairbands. I mean, honestly, of every genre of music to despise, you pick the one that has guitar solos and some semblance of talent (as opposed to say, punk or rap)."

Actually a very good point! but see you can't pick on Rap... it's seen as racial and insensitive LOL!!

"{ don't understand everyone's animosity for hairbands. I mean, honestly, of every genre of music to despise, you pick the one that has guitar solos and some semblance of talent (as opposed to say, punk or rap)."

Actually a very good point! but see you can't pick on Rap... it's seen as racial and insensitive LOL!!

The funny thing is that the highest selling rap guys I can think of are all White. Beastie Boys, Vanilla Ice, Eminem.

Eventually, rap will get dumped on, too. :grin:

Touche! :thu:

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

The whole genre became a self-caricature by 1987, with the likes of Warrant, Enuff'Z'Nuff, Britney Fox, Great White, just a never-ending parade of misogynistic no-talent chodes shaking their asses and singing vacuous songs about sex and bad relationships. I blame Ratt, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi for this wave of fruit loops - the whole destruction of the genre was rooted in the selling of sex over substance, and these three were the ringleaders...

Wow, I couldn't have put it better myself. :thu:

The funny thing is that the highest selling rap guys I can think of are all White. Beastie Boys, Vanilla Ice, Eminem.

The majority of the record buying public is white and, if given a choice, they're going to identify with, and buy records from, someone that's their own colour.

But that's hardly new. The same thing happened with R&B and Elvis. Or R&B and British Invasion bands. It even happened with early Jazz, where white guys made the big money and got the big audiences.

Archived