Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland Sound Module

Jazz+

Scroll down to see the photos and information that "burningbusch" found and posted!

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The JV-1010 and XV-5050 are great boxes - a follow-up would be wonderful. Does anybody else build a good half-rack module? WAY back in the day I used to like the Kurzweil Micropiano. Anyone know of anything else that's good?

I think a half rack XR would trash sales of todays XR

Given the XR is only 3 years old ( same with Fantom lineup) a half rack seems out there, IMO

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I think a half rack XR would trash sales of todays XR

Given the XR is only 3 years old ( same with Fantom lineup) a half rack seems out there, IMO

We're just looking for a replacement to the XV-2020. I would like to see an updated waveform list with some of the new Fantom X samples and the Fantom X acoustic piano. The same two SRX slots. The waveform list on the XV-2020 is ancient.

The XR still gives you six SRX slots, a much better interface, sampling, more storage options, more outputs (digital and analog), built in power supply.

Meese around the corner.

Busch.

I would also like to see the XV-2020 replacement updated to 128 voices. It is great to use for sequencing with an underpowered laptop. Maybe impliment some of the VSTi shell code for control and add an input for recording on mixing an external signal.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

A half rack is great for gigs, I can quickly throw it in a gig bag. The XV-2020 currently hosts my SRX-11 and SRX-12 but I suspect that the sound quality is dull compared to what it would sound like hosted by a Fantom sound engine.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.roland.com/products/com/SonicCell/images/top_L.jpg

Equipped with a state-of-the-art sound engine, SonicCell delivers the pristine sound quality of a dedicated Roland hardware synth. A remarkable new waveform set has been created for SonicCell, including a world-class collection of acoustic instruments, drums, and percussion that are expertly programmed to provide the ultimate in expression and realism. SonicCells internal sound bank can even be expanded and customized via its two internal SRX expansion bays. Choose from over a dozen of Rolands famous SRX Expansion boards (sold separately) that cover a vast world of musical instruments and styles. Whether youre driving SonicCell from a computer, another synthesizer, or a MIDI keyboard or guitar controller, youll enjoy unsurpassed sound quality, reliability, and flexibility.

Seamless Computer Connectivity

SonicCell is ideal for musicians who use a PC as the core of their writing, recording, and performing universe. More than a mere sound module, SonicCell is equipped with a built-in USB audio interface. Simply connect SonicCell directly to your computers USB port, and you can record and create music with no additional hardware required. You can even plug a microphone, guitar, or other instruments into SonicCell and record your live audio tracks directly into your computer. And since SonicCell can help minimize the burden on the computers processor, youll enjoy more efficient and stable performance. As an added bonus, a free copy of Cakewalk's Sonar LE recording software included with every SonicCell sold, as is a plug-in style PC software editor, which makes sound designing and effects programming fast and friendly. SonicCell is the perfect all-in-one solution for synthesis and recording.

Ultra-Handy Backing Machine

In addition to its high-quality synthesis and audio-interface functions, SonicCell can be used as a virtual backing band. Simply create a playlist of your songs or backing tracks with the software Playback Editor (included free with SonicCell), and transfer the playlist to a commercially available USB memory stick. Insert the stick into SonicCells USB port, and it will become a stand-alone song player that you can play and control onstage or anywhere you perform. SonicCell can play back WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files. It evens plays Standard MIDI Files!

Busch.

Thanks Busch,

Those seem like some excellent features. I am wondering if my SRX-11 piano patches will have better clarity, more detailed and fatter sound when hosted in a Sonic Cell module compared to how they sound played inside my old XV-2020.

"SonicCell is equipped with a built-in USB audio interface. Simply connect SonicCell directly to your computers USB port, and you can record and create music with no additional hardware required. You can even plug a microphone, guitar, or other instruments into SonicCell and record your live audio tracks directly into your computer. And since SonicCell can help minimize the burden on the computers processor, youll enjoy more efficient and stable performance. "

What additional hardware would be needed otherwise? Am how does it minimize the burden on the computer's processor?

Why did they make it USB? Surely firewire would be the better option. Most up to date computers have at least the four pin port.

Have to see some more specs to know whether it's worth swapping the XR for. It looks the business though. They must have a dedicated GAS department over at Roland.

Wow. This is certainly out of left field. Although Roland did tell me at Winter NAMM that they would be doing "something" to gfill the gap left by their most recent and most confusing reshuffling of the Edirol brand name and the former orphaning of the SoundCanvas series. This semms to be their answer.

The key for me will be the price. I can definitely see adding this to my collection (which otherwise is paring down) as a cheap way to give myself access to the very small subset of modern Roland sounds that I actually like (such as their world/ethnic library, and their most recent e-piano board, and possiblky the latest strings).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

In addition to being a sound module it is also a USB audio I/O (and I believe MIDI) interface. So it's the only thing you would need if you're using a laptop. I think the minimizing the burden on your computer comes from the fact that you don't have to rely on CPU-hungry softsynths alone. You can view it as an extension of the laptop--like Robert mentioned above. Notice it has a switch on the front for 44.1, 48 and 96K so the fact that you can drive the interface to 96KHz is cool.

The backing tracks has some potential as well. Load it up with some BIAB RealDrum tracks or other backing tracks.

Busch.

Hmmmm. So why isn't this on the Roland website? Even under press releases? And why doesn't it come up on a google search? Too good to be true perhaps?

myspace.com/AlteredDominant www.Prymary.com

NordElectro3/S90XS/SteinwayS(midi'd)/KX88/Apple MBP, iMac/MainStage2/Scrbee/NI Komplete/ApogeeDuet/QSCplx1804/JBLmrx512/SpcStnSRX/LogicPro9/DP/ProTools

I don't have specs on the size but I'm sure it's small enough to fit on the open space found on the top of many keyboards. I could see velcroing it to a Nord, Kurz, Yamaha, or hell even an RD300SX to get the addtional Roland sounds. The design is more suitable to this than a traditional half-rack.

Busch.

do we have a bid on this? Price or guess anyone. I could sure use it I believe. Get a few SRX's for my RD700 and then I could use them with this in my second rig. Just pull the cards and go.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Wellenformspeicher 128 MB (entspricht 16 bit Linear-Format)

All new sound engine, based on the Fantom.

16-part multitimbral (patch/part/performance-based, just like other Roland ROMplers)

3x MFX processors + 1 reverb + 1 chorus

128 polyphony 2 outputs

Can act as both an audio and MIDI interface via USB

Can set up playlists for running both audio and MIDI backing tracks (as I understand it, this is a very limited feature)

from Roland.de GERMANY

Tonerzeugungs-Sektion]

Parts 16

Polyphonie 128 Stimmen

Expansion Slots 2 x SRX Expansion Boards

Preset-Speicher Patches: 768 + 256 (GM2), Rhythm Sets: 20 + 9 (GM2), Performances: 64

User-Speicher Patches: 256, Rhythm Sets: 32, Performances: 64

Externer Speicher USB-Speichermedien

Effekte Multieffekte: 3 Systeme, 78 Typen, Chorus: 3 Typen, Reverb: 5 Typen, Input-Effekte: 6 Typen, Mastering-Effekt: 3-Band-Kompressor

[Audio Interface-Sektion]

Audio Input/Output-Kanäle In: 1 Stereo-Paar, Out: 1 Stereo-Paar

Signalverarbeitung PC Interface: 24 bit, AD/DA-Wandlung: 24 bit

Sampling-Frequenz AD/DA -Wandlung: 44.1/48/96 kHz

[sMF/Audio File Player-Sektion]

Datenformate Standard MIDI File: Format-0/1, Audio: WAV, AIFF, MP3

[Andere]

Display 128 x 64 Pixel organisches EL Grafik-Display

USB (Audio/MIDI/Datenübertragung (Massenspeicherung)) Betriebssystem Windows: XP Home SP2 oder später/XP Professional SP2 oder später/Vista, Macintosh: Mac OS X v10.4.3 oder neuer

Anschlüsse Out (L/MONO, R), Kopfhörer, In (MIC/GUITAR/LINE (L) (Mic (Klinke / XLR mit Phanstomspeisung), Guitar (Klinke Hi-Z), Line (L) (Klinke) ), LINE ® (Klinke) ), MIDI IN, OUT, USB (COMPUTER (Audio, MIDI, Datenübertragung (Massenspeichrung) ), SPEICHER (USB) )

Stromversorgung DC 9 V (Netzteil)

Abmessungen 294 (B) x 175 (T) x 55 (H) mm

Gewicht 1.2 kg (ohne Netzteil)

Zubehör Aufbauanleitung, Netzteil (PSB-1U), CD-ROM (Sound Editor, Librarian, Playback Editor, USB-Treiber, Referenz-Handbuch), USB-Kabel

Optionales Zubehör Wave Expansion Boards: SRX-Serie, USB-Speicher: M-UF128, Desktop-Halterung: BKT-S, Pad-Stativ: PDS-10

The 128MB ROM is the same size as the Fantom X/XR and twice that of the XV-2020. The FXs look to be the same as the XR. It's a little bigger than I was expecting but still very managable. Very light at 2.6 lbs. The 128 x 64 pixel display comes favorably with the 160 X 48 pixels on the XR.

Busch.

Approximate

11 1/2 " by 6 7/8" by 2 1/8"

Actually I'm kinda over rack-mount gear and have very little left. Sonic Cell may offer rack "ears", I dunno... makes sense to have that option I guess. I prefer tabletop models now like my Roland VK8m, which can also be stand-mounted like the Sonic Cell. Just wish more keyboards had the real estate for holding tabletop modules.

Just wish more keyboards had the real estate for holding tabletop modules.

well I have the luck (as far as it's not gigging) to have two keyboards with internal speakers and therefore some place to carry stuff. In fact, my P250 is indeed a workstation because I like to scribble notes on it. still, I'm not the type for carrying a rack around with me. I have one rack module, the Roland JV1080, which is a pain to tweak, so I put it on a clavinova to edit the parameters and play test the results directly... it fell down and luckily just smashed the cables an a sustain pedal. long story short... I actually welcome a rack module in desktopform... as I only plan to carry one of those things with me, I don't see why I should schlepp a bulky block instead of having it nice and small (well, small in the roland-sense)

of course, it would be perfect for everybody if roland offered two versions....

The Dromb Bopper

Archived