Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Doing a "pro" show this week - Chicago

SteveC

A touring production of "Chicago" is in town this week and needed some players. I was fortunate to get the call. I got out the ol' upright and tried to remember how to play. I played the show a couple years ago for a community theatre production so I was already pretty familiar with it which was nice.

I forget how nice it is to work with a "professional" company. I showed up at rehearsal on Tuesday morning (10 - 2) to a pre-set rehearsal space, music on my stand ready to go. We started on time, worked pretty hard and finished early. Vinnie never said anything to me so I assumed I did OK. Sound check was at 5:30. I showed up at 5:00 to be sure I was ready on time and all the stuff - book, chair, etc. - was placed onstage for me ready to go. The stage is pretty cool. The set is basically this huge bandstand. I bet the brass are up about 15 feet.

The sound tech came by, introduced himself, said I'm gonna put this here, plug your pickup in here, and you're good to go. I used my K&K Bass Max and they dropped a Shure SM57 wrapped in foam in my tailpiece. We ran spots with cast and were done by 6:15. They show started at 7:30. There were a few things here and there, but generally it went well. I had a pretty good show. The nice thing is I tacet a lot as it is mostly a Tuba book, and I tacet on most of the "hotter" numbers. The "scenery" from stage is pretty nice.

We do it one more time tonight. I wish I had more of an opportunity to do stuff like this. The money is pretty good and it's fun to work with the pros.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love that show! I'm pretty sure that you're working with the same guys I worked with for a couple of weeks in Ft Lauderdale. Send them my best - not that they would remember me, they have done a lot of cities since April.

Congrats - very nice to hear. It's great to do something different, and even better when it's done so well! While I'm not up to playing a show like this, I have one question. With everything done for you, how do you stand it? I'd be running around trying to help run cables or something. I'm not used to everything being done.

...and they dropped a Shure SM57 wrapped in foam in my tailpiece.

Damn - I don't think I could play after that happened :grin: ;):rolleyes::P

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I did have that feeling of "I really should be doing something" but I got over it. It was fun to do something different. I am a bit "restless" for lack of a better term with my current bands right now. Nothing bad, just...I don't know, so it was a nice change. So was the nice paycheck. I don't know about where all you big time guys play, but here in the middle of nowhere, $500 for a rehearsal and 2 gigs is pretty sweet.

As to the tailpiece comments, I think I'll just leave them alone...

Mama was a killer singer. Probably the best of the cast. Tom Wopat - yes, Luke Duke, was Billy. The "Cellblock" girls were very nice. All in all a fun time. I'm pretty tired though. The rehearsal/sound check/show day was long.

Congrats, Steve!

Sounds like fun!

The best part of playing in a show is that all you do is play. No gear, no sound, no bandmates, no nothing, to worry about. There is a conductor, a director, a sound man, a tech crew, a stage manager. It's all in their hands. And you just play.

Which I'm sure you are doing capably, Steve.

Archived